2014 College Football Awards Thread

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hackett and rehkow are awesome punters and they average the same amount of avg yards per kick as Scott. Any of those three are deserving
The difference - Scott's average is 47 yards, even with the number of opportunities to pin the other team deep playing field position football. If her were punting from your 20 more often, his ypk average would be much higher. But your great offense didn't give him many chances to really leg one out.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
You should look up Hackett's numbers - they're off the chart.

ETA: numbers...

Scott has put together an impressive freshman campaign with the Crimson Tide, ranking third in the nation in average (47.0). Scott booted 18 of his 48 punts 50 yards or longer and had 26 downed inside the 20.

Rehkow, a sophomore who also serves as the Vandals’ place-kicker, leads the nation with a 47.8 average. Nineteen of his 44 punts went 50 yards or longer, and 17 of his boots were downed inside the 20.

Hackett, a junior, punted 77 times for a 47.0 average, with 25 kicks of 50 yards or longer. He leads the nation with punts downed inside the 10 (19) and inside the 20 (35).

Yeah but but the air is thinner in Utah :smile:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The difference - Scott's average is 47 yards, even with the number of opportunities to pin the other team deep playing field position football. If her were punting from your 20 more often, his ypk average would be much higher. But your great offense didn't give him many chances to really leg one out.
Rehkow had an avg of 47.8 and Hackett was 47.0 and had more punting yards than both of them. Hackett was a phenomenal punter and was the favorite to win this award. People really need to look at stats and game films of all three punter before making a determination that this was a snub. Instead of going on what the crimson colored glasses says. I would've loved to see Scott win it and it stinks that he didn't but Hackett was a very deserving winner

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Rehkow had an avg of 47.8 and Hackett had more punting yards than both of them. Hackett was a phenomenal punter and was the favorite to win this award. People really need to look at stats and game films of all three punter before making a determination that this was a snub. Instead of going on what the crimson colored glasses says. I would've loved to see Scott win it and it stinks that he didn't but Hackett was a very deserving winner

All three were deserving, congrats to Hackett. There is nothing wrong with us feeling Scott should have won.

I still stand by it. Imagine as a true freshman to have to punt like that on the stage we have....each and every week.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Rehkow had an avg of 47.8 and Hackett had more punting yards than both of them. Hackett was a phenomenal punter and was the favorite to win this award. People really need to look at stats and game films of all three punter before making a determination that this was a snub. Instead of going on what the crimson colored glasses says. I would've loved to see Scott win it and it stinks that he didn't but Hackett was a very deserving winner
To be clear, I am not saying that Scott was robbed. This is what I expected. I have just seen enough of all three to believe that Scott is the only one of the three that is consistent enough in all three phases of punting to be an NFL player. Those three items are distance, direction and hang time. Scott has all three. Hackett kicks for distance and direction, but he struggles with hangtime.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, Hackett was great this year. It is more of a career achievement award. He'll get his time to shine...especially since he's already established himself as an elite punter.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
Yeah, Hackett was great this year. It is more of a career achievement award. He'll get his time to shine...especially since he's already established himself as an elite punter.
Yeah. Who wants to give it to JK Scott four years in a row anyway? So give it to Hackett this year.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
How did I not know this was on. I read TF every day. I am ok with MM beating those other to for poty.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Jameis was not up for a single award, and is absent from the show? Maybe for public safety he was asked not to attend?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
To be clear, I am not saying that Scott was robbed. This is what I expected. I have just seen enough of all three to believe that Scott is the only one of the three that is consistent enough in all three phases of punting to be an NFL player. Those three items are distance, direction and hang time. Scott has all three. Hackett kicks for distance and direction, but he struggles with hangtime.
Agree to disagree on Hackett

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.