News Article: Senate CIA torture report released

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
This is not in reference to anyone in specific.

Does anyone but me find it ironic that likely the very same people who decry big government taking steps to protect health and safety via programs and agencies such as Obamacare, the EPA, and the FCC are the very same people who would have no problem handing over the "do whatever it takes mandate" to protect them from future unguaranteed attacks?

I should eat more veggies? HOW DARE YOU INFRINGE MY FREEDOMS AND RIGHTS! DOWN WITH BIG GOVERNMENT!

This guy is vaguely brown, knows a few guys named Muhammed, and likes disco music. KEEP ME SAFE, WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO DO. I AM NOT SAYING WATERBOARD HIM, BUT IF HE ACCIDENTALLY GETS WATERBOARDED, I UNDERSTAND.
If you are going to take it that far one way, you have to take it that far the other way. Those three guys have connections to terrorist organizations and have explosive materials in the back of a van. Let's wait until after they blow up a building to be sure if they are terrorists or not. Wouldn't want to hurt any innocent people. Hey, if they kill a couple thousand Americans it is worth it right? I wonder if more innocent people got unfairly waterboarded by the U.S., or if more people died in 9/11?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
If you are going to take it that far one way, you have to take it that far the other way. Those three guys have connections to terrorist organizations and have explosive materials in the back of a van. Let's wait until after they blow up a building to be sure if they are terrorists or not. Wouldn't want to hurt any innocent people. Hey, if they kill a couple thousand Americans it is worth it right? I wonder if more innocent people got unfairly waterboarded by the U.S., or if more people died in 9/11?
The report dealt with about 200 detainees, not just those 3

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Do you believe in our constitution or not?:conf2:
Wrongfully held is probably CIA speak.

I do believe in the Constitution. I also know what's in the Quran and what it teaches.

If you're a Muslim, you follow the Quran. Period. That's the entire point that these groups like ISIS are trying to make. If you call yourself a Muslim, but aren't out doing what they're doing... then you're not Muslim. You're not following the Quran. It's very clear in it's instructions to deceive, and kill the infidel. Allah... "The Great Deceiver".

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I do believe in the Constitution. I also know what's in the Quran and what it teaches.

If you're a Muslim, you follow the Quran. Period. That's the entire point that these groups like ISIS are trying to make. If you call yourself a Muslim, but aren't out doing what they're doing... then you're not Muslim. You're not following the Quran. It's very clear in it's instructions to deceive, and kill the infidel. Allah... "The Great Deceiver".
Then how can you complain about them building a mosque?
We let them build mosques here and practice the very religion that's trying to destroy us for pete's sake.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I'm glad you brought this up since we just recently had 3 Muslim teenagers arrested at the airport for trying to go join ISIS. Of course, their "good" Muslim parents had no idea. All they did was do the best they could to shield them from anything and everything of the American culture, and keep them submersed in the teachings of the Muslim religion.

...snip...

These people are only US citizens because we'll let anybody "be" one now that wants to be. It doesn't matter if they hate everything we stand for, just as long as they're here to reap the government benefits from our programs, and go to our universities to learn math and science.
For the record they were born in the US. Doesn't necessarily make me disagree with you regarding just letting them go and be done with it.

You almost had me. However, if the administration is to be trusted, and the practices that are in this report ended in 2009 when Obama said "Hey you guys stop waterboarding." then the incidents as you described should have increased due to the inability to waterboard terrorists. Granted we don't actually know whether they have stopped, we also don't know how many of these incidents were stopped due to regular interrogation/investigative practices. Can't we at least agree, that if waterboarding was so effective, and we quit using it, we would have had more attacks because we didn't use it?

Look I can get on board with the premise that in war, there are philosophical boundaries that occasionally will be crossed in the heat of the moment. To believe that the US has actually stopped using methods that are less than humane would be naive. It is simply my position, and I think the position that this report has taken, that to have a carte blanche "do whatever it takes, here is a manual on how to do it" approach is counterproductive and creates more problems than it solves due to creating an attitude of indifference by dehumanizing the enemy (see Abu Ghraib). They do a good enough job of it on their own with their beheading videos.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Then how can you complain about them building a mosque?

I didn't complain, I used it as an example to show you that we don't detain people because they have brownish skin and know a few people named Muhammad. If they're detained, it's for good reason.

The point however, is twofold. There's still too many here that need to be detained that haven't been. They're already here. Living among us. Secondly, READ THE QURAN.

You must see for yourself what this religion teaches. You people cannot really be this is the dark... are you?

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
For the record they were born in the US. Doesn't necessarily make me disagree with you regarding just letting them go and be done with it.

The kids were born in the US, which proves my point. Just because you're a US citizen because your parents immigrated here, doesn't mean you like America. These parents by their own admission, kept their kids submersed in the teachings of Islam, and away from American culture.

Why the hell are these people here if they don't like it here, don't subscribe to what we stand for, and hate our culture? Because they CAN.... that's why.

If you think these are the only "innocent" Muslims here that are facilitating this type of behavior, unfortunately, you're terribly mistaken. You folks better wake up. And fast. This isn't what it looks like. Their entire principle is built on deception. It's there for you all to read in their scripture.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The kids were born in the US, which proves my point. Just because you're a US citizen because your parents immigrated here, doesn't mean you like America. These parents by their own admission, kept their kids submersed in the teachings of Islam, and away from American culture.

Why the hell are these people here if they don't like it here, don't subscribe to what we stand for, and hate our culture? Because they CAN.... that's why.

If you think these are the only "innocent" Muslims here that are facilitating this type of behavior, unfortunately, you're terribly mistaken. You folks better wake up. And fast. This isn't what it looks like. Their entire principle is built on deception. It's there for you all to read in their scripture.
You dont really want to go down that rabbit hole do you?

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
And here is where I have a major disconnect with you. A terrorists, by very definition, is someone who incites terror. There have been people labeled as terrorists in the US. It is a label. Government agencies have already turned their ears and eyes inward with regards to communications, what makes you think that this behavior will always be applied to only international terrorists? Think of the idiotic children from the US and Britain that have run off deluded by ISIS slick marketing to join the new caliphate. Should they be tortured if they know something? Obama and Holder have already decided that US Citizenship mean nothing when they ordered a drone strike to kill a US citizen upon nothing more than CIA intelligence. Due process, as we have come to expect in the courts, was tossed right out the window. So now there is precedence that if someone is suspected of being a terrorist, albeit on foreign soil, their rights are no longer inviolate.

Giving up the expectation of due process and in the case of torture, basic human decency, out of a sense of fear is a great way nudge a nation state over into the dystopian police/dictatorship that many already believe the US has become.

Remember, as many on the right are oft repeating, governments never willingly give power back to the people. What is a terrorist to the current regime is nothing more than a label reapplication tomorrow, often depending upon the ideology of those in power.

Links:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/who-were-the-4-us-citizens-killed-in-drone-strikes/
Again, I specified international terrorist and that is the people that this thread has to do with. What you are mentioning, you and I may be much closer to agreement than you think.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
You dont really want to go down that rabbit hole do you?

I just did. Are you coming or not?

But before you do, know this... I'm not a Christian. Secondly, I have a 19 year old stepdaughter that's living with a Muslim here from Jordan.

Let's go.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Reading through this thread only confirms my belief that the United States will not be able to survive a major war. We have too many softies that do not understand that war is not a pretty. You can not win if you are not willing to do what is absolutely necessary to win.
We won WWII without restoring to the tactics the Germans (and especially the Japanese) resorted to trying to get informations from POWs.

Don't mistake ethical / moral boundaries for weakness - otherwise you crap on the graves of many brave men (like the SEALs in Lone Survivor) who chose to do the right thing in the face of potentially (almost certainly) dire consequences. I suspect you'd think twice before looking Marcuss Luttrell in the eye and telling him he's soft.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
We won WWII without restoring to the tactics the Germans (and especially the Japanese) resorted to trying to get informations from POWs.

Don't mistake ethical / moral boundaries for weakness - otherwise you crap on the graves of many brave men (like the SEALs in Lone Survivor) who chose to do the right thing in the face of potentially (almost certainly) dire consequences. I suspect you'd think twice before looking Marcuss Luttrell in the eye and telling him he's soft.
I am not talking about our military being soft, I am talking about the leaders of our country.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham

Ohh good grief. Didn't MC mention in this very thread he was a veteran and yet here you are berating him with proper respect for his brothers in arms?

I realize you freelance as a WWII historian and enjoy your posts but I don't know how you could think the American populace and its leaders would have the stomach to win a war such as we did WWII. Firebombing and atomic bombs come to mind.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Ohh good grief. Didn't MC mention in this very thread he was a veteran and yet here you are berating him with proper respect for his brothers in arms?

I realize you freelance as a WWII historian and enjoy your posts but I don't know how you could think the American populace and its leaders would have the stomach to win a war such as we did WWII. Firebombing and atomic bombs come to mind.
Public opinion polling in June 1945:
13% of the respondents wanted to continue the war until the US had "killed all Japanese."
Another 33% wanted to destroy the Japanese state.

It would take a lot for the US populace to get back to this level of bloodthirstiness. It could possibly happen.

Maybe if we have another Bush in the White House in 2017 the Democrats will be there, or if we have another Clinton in the White House in 2017, the Republicans will be there.

Or if Honey Booboo gets a new show everyone will be there.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
The problem is that the leadership in America rearranged our priorities of fighting wars. It's be politically correct first, win the war second. This began with the liberal movements decades ago, and it's where we went wrong in Vietnam.

The majority of American people over the age of 45 or so realize this. That's why so many believe that this version of the United States doesn't have the stomach to win another war like WWII.

I fear so much for our men and women in the military because we don't send them into battle to WIN anymore. We send them over there to places like the Middle East to play pattycake with these savages that employ guerilla warfare tactics, so the liberals in suits back here can play politics and "not offend anybody". They want our soldiers over there playing police instead of soldier.

The United States isn't nearly as united as it was 70 years ago. We've become too diverse and too politically correct as a society. We have a president standing up there preaching to the world about "who we are". I don't know who the "we" is he's referring to, because nothing that has ever came from his mouth represents me.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.