*** RB Damien Harris Commits to Alabama ***

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Re: RB Damien Harris commits to

That is really worth watching, thanks for the link. Now, you can't take too much from high school games, but he basically scores a TD with every touch, from anywhere on the field. He has so much speed he visibly eases up when he gets about 5 yards cushion on defensive backs, and he is still pulling away. He always seems to find the right hole, quite often bouncing inside into traffic because he sees he has momentum or angle on a defender.

I have high hopes that the next Chubb or Fournette just committed to Alabama.
Looks to me like he has some kind of subtle little juke step after which he just seems to run right by people. It doesn`t look necessarily like he`s running all that fast but he obviously is because he gets a half step and it`s over, even for guys with an angle. Obviously, SEC competition will be tougher and he won`t always be able to do what he did in high school, but he sure looks like he`s got a chance to be special! Now, if he can just pick up the pass pro.... !

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

That is really worth watching, thanks for the link. Now, you can't take too much from high school games, but he basically scores a TD with every touch, from anywhere on the field. He has so much speed he visibly eases up when he gets about 5 yards cushion on defensive backs, and he is still pulling away. He always seems to find the right hole, quite often bouncing inside into traffic because he sees he has momentum or angle on a defender.

I have high hopes that the next Chubb or Fournette just committed to Alabama.
Agreed, kid has tremendous vision, the athletic ability to change direction and hit the hole with elite speed. Yep, Damien will certainly be a weapon for us and I think fan favorite soon.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA

He is built more like Mark than anyone else, but has unbelievable speed. He cuts at full speed and has unreal vision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcM1Uk3DZ6Q
Number of tackles made in that 8+ minute video (with no plays cut off before completion): 8 :eek2:

To get a look at his burst, watch the punt return at the 6:12 mark. The burst comes at about the opponent's 40 yard line. He makes a hard lateral cut to avoid one tackler and there is another approaching him from behind. DH decides that guy isn't going to tackle him... and he doesn't get tackled.

Last edited:

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

Great, great talent. I see him in several of his HS highlights, like Barry, run E-W or even backwards in order to get more yards. He can get away with that at that level (often resulted in a TD), but hopefully he can be coached out of that at the next level.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
That would be Catchy if Kiffin was to be the next head Coach and Gus was still at Auburn (The Lane Train has run over the Gus Bus)
I hope we never ever see Kiffen as our head coach. He is doing what he does best as OC. Kiffen as our coach would be a train wreck. But to get back on topic of this thread, Harris is a huge pick up for us.

hartleyb

Scout Team
Jan 9, 2009
I love this commit, but I am concerned. Rivals lists his recruiter as Kevin Steele and Steele has just left LSU. Any chance that he gets him to flip or is he all Bama?
I believe we can thank Blake Barnett for Damien's pledge to the good guys. I would say zero percent that LSU with the addition of Kevin Steele flips Damien Harris.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I love this commit, but I am concerned. Rivals lists his recruiter as Kevin Steele and Steele has just left LSU. Any chance that he gets him to flip or is he all Bama?
It's recruiting, and there's still three weeks to signing day. That said, I didn't read anything about interest in LSU. We, OSU and home state UK were reported to be only ones that mattered over the last few months.

Steele's a great recruiter, and I guess anything's possible when you're talking about 18-year-old HS football players. Still, I just don't see going from committing to Alabama on national TV to flipping to a school in which there was little to no interest a month prior.

Now, if Steele had gone to OSU....

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Anything can happen in recruiting, obviously, but I would be surprised if Steele's departure had any real impact on Harris. Steele was the main conduit for communication for UA with Harris, of course, but that work is basically done by this point, and it's not like he was going to have any real, ongoing relationship with Steele once he signs. Truth be told, they would have barely crossed paths in the normal course.

Also, I'll add that if certain recruits and coaches are to be believed, Steele's departure had been expected for a few weeks and communicated to recruits...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
What about Lance Thompson's departure? Will that affect any current commits/recruits?
Think the answer is also no with him, with perhaps a single exception or two.

In general, Thompson's commitments are from individuals who have either already enrolled (Harrison, Warmack, and Flowers) or not thought to be real threats to flip (Custis and Petitbon). Likewise, the remaining targets that he was recruiting were all long shots at best, namely Jefferson and Prince, so no real concern there. In terms of linebacker commitments who he may have actually coached, Keaton has already said it doesn't affect his recruitment, and my gut is that McMilon will share that sentiment, though I haven't seen any definite on him just yet.

Offhand, the only potential concern I have is Adonis Thomas. Muschamp has been coming after him pretty hard trying to get him to flip to Auburn, and obviously having Thompson in tow isn't going to hurt his chances. I would keep my eye on that one, but otherwise I think it will be largely without recruiting impact.

Last edited:

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Think the answer is also no with him, with perhaps a single exception or two.

In general, Thompson's commitments are from individuals who have either already enrolled (Harrison, Warmack, and Flowers) or not thought to be real threats to flip (Custis and Petitbon). Likewise, the remaining targets that he was recruiting were all long shots at best, namely Jefferson and Prince, so no real concern there. In terms of linebacker commitments who he may have actually coached, Keaton has already said it doesn't affect his recruitment, and my gut is that McMilon will share that sentiment, though I haven't seen any definite on him just yet.

Offhand, the only potential concern I have is Adonis Thomas. Muschamp has been coming after him pretty hard trying to get him to flip to Auburn, and obviously having Thompson in tow isn't going to hurt his chances. I would keep my eye on that one, but otherwise I think it will be largely without recruiting impact.
i think you are right.....and we need Thomas for speed at the ILB position

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
i think you are right.....and we need Thomas for speed at the ILB position

Yep Adonis is my only concern at this point. Auburn is only two hours away and don't think Muschamp won't use that to his advantage. That and the fact that Lance is now with him at auburn. I won't worry yet, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a concern.

Recruiters are listed as Kirby Smart and Lance Thompson. So at least he has been in contact all along with Kirby.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.