What QB (past or present) does Blake Sims remind you of?

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
He reminds me of Russell Wilson. The two have a lot of striking similarities in how they throw the ball and just overall pocket presence and mechanics. Both also throw a nice deep ball.

Thoughts? Is this a bad comparison?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He reminds me of Russell Wilson. The two have a lot of striking similarities in how they throw the ball and just overall pocket presence and mechanics. Both also throw a nice deep ball.

Russell Wilson based on his height and some aspects of his game, but Im leaning on a Troy Aikman type IQ that can rely on the talent around him, but still can win a game if he is asked to and can forget about mistakes.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think of a mobile Gary Hollingsworth.

Neither was expected to get the starting job. Hollingsworth got it due to injury to the starter, whereas Sims got it by working his tail off to beat out the presumptive favorite in what just about everybody, including the coaches, viewed as an upset.

Both succeeded beyond anyone's wildest expectations. Truth be told, I bet they exceeded their own.

Both owe a huge part of their success to synergistic relationships with great OCs (Homer Smith for Hollingsworth, Lane Kiffin for Sims). In both relationships, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

There are differences. Hollingsworth was surprisingly mobile, but nowhere near in Sims' class.

But Homer Smith cried when he couldn't coach Gary Hollingsworth any more. I bet even the too-cool Kiffin feels a lump in his throat when Blake Sims walks away from their last meeting....which, if there is any justice, will be a celebration in a Dallas steakhouse.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Troy Smith - about the same height and build. Both moved around well and could run the ball effectively when necessary, but both were better passers from the pocket. Both ran a similar offense with great players around them. Troy also played at RB when he first arrived at OSU. I think that Blake is faster than Troy was, and Blake has a stronger arm, but that is who I think of when I see Blake play.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

Interesting ... I a few days ago I was trying to figure out an NFL team he would best fit with my first thoughts were the Seahawks because he would fit in because of what he brings to the table that's similar to Russell Wilson. They currently have Tarvarus Jackson as his backup.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Troy Smith - about the same height and build. Both moved around well and could run the ball effectively when necessary, but both were better passers from the pocket. Both ran a similar offense with great players around them. Troy also played at RB when he first arrived at OSU. I think that Blake is faster than Troy was, and Blake has a stronger arm, but that is who I think of when I see Blake play.
Funny I thought some of same things. I also thought of Denard Robinson although he was obviously used in a much different way.

Steve Young is the one I landed on though. When he first went to BYU they almost didn't use him as a QB because he was such a good athlete and needed work on his passing. I think they used him as a CB. But he worked hard on his passing, eventually earned the QB job, and broke a bunch of Jim McMahan's records. If Blake gets a chance to play QB in the pros I see him taking a similar path too.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Andrew Zow
Zow was a straight drop back passer. Blake is much more mobile. Not a good comparison.

I like the Russell Wilson comparison and the Cunningham comparison (assuming its late career Cunningham). Good passer who can escape and make plays with his feet when necessary. Steve Young might be a good comparison as well, though Young was much more accurate (in fairness, Young was more accurate than most QBs).

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
He kind of reminds of the anti-Ryan Tannehill. In throwing motion, throwing the ball with blazing speed, and scrambling ability I think they are very similar. However, Tannehill is much better in the first three quarters than the fourth. For Sims, the 4th quarter is the best.

Last edited:

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
Ok, I'll bite. Sims reminds me of Pat White. Sims isn't quite as shifty as White but their games are similar. Sims throws a better deep ball but that helps with burners like Cooper and White.

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
Definitely Troy Smith. That was my first thought, so I looked up some stats...

Troy Smith, 6'-0 225lb
2006 Stats (Heisman Winner)
203/311 Passing for 2542 yds (65.3%) 30 TD, 6 INT
204 yds Rushing (2.8 yd avg) 1 TD

Blake Sims, 6'-0 208lb
2014 Stats
230/355 Passing for 3250 yds (64.8%) 26 TD, 7 INT
321 yds Rushing (4.4 yd avg) 6 TD

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.