Son's first trip to Bryant-Denny Stadium next year. Need help.

BamaFanTN

3rd Team
Mar 1, 2011
Melbourne, FL
We are planning his first trip to see a game, probably ULM as he will be six. I would like to get the best tickets I can without breaking the bank. Any suggestions of what sections I should look for? And when should try to book a hotel for that Friday night? Will I be able to get one inn Tuscaloosa?

Thanks for any advice. Will also be looking for people to tailgate with.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
As far as hotel goes, I personally prefer to stay in Hoover. Even for a game like that, TTown hotels are ungodly expensive even for 1 star motels. Hoover is a little under an hour away, it's an easy drive, and the hotel prices aren't usually affected by gameday from what I've observed. others may disagree, but that is what I've experienced the couple of times I've been down for games.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
As far as hotel goes, I personally prefer to stay in Hoover. Even for a game like that, TTown hotels are ungodly expensive even for 1 star motels. Hoover is a little under an hour away, it's an easy drive, and the hotel prices aren't usually affected by gameday from what I've observed. others may disagree, but that is what I've experienced the couple of times I've been down for games.
Can second that on Hoover for hotel. Was normally priced last time I went for a game. You should be able to get decent price tickets for a game against ULM.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
My wife and I went to the Miss. State game; first game we've been to in Tuscaloosa in over 40 years. We took some friends' advice and stayed in Pelham which worked out extremely well. Hampton Inn in Birmingham/Bessemer closest to Tuscaloosa was $200/night, whereas the same chain hotel in Pelham was $109. We also took our friends' advice and parked in a large field/parking lot near the women's softball stadium. Good signage once you're off the interstate. Parking cost $20. The university runs free buses literally every couple of minutes from the parking lots to the Quad; and likewise free buses back to the parking lots after the game. It being dark, the bus driver was helpful in ensuring we got off the bus at the right parking lot. We had no problems at all and were very impressed with the professional way in which the university efficiently shuttled people into and out of the stadium area. A grand experience!!

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
My wife and I went to the Miss. State game; first game we've been to in Tuscaloosa in over 40 years. We took some friends' advice and stayed in Pelham which worked out extremely well. Hampton Inn in Birmingham/Bessemer closest to Tuscaloosa was $200/night, whereas the same chain hotel in Pelham was $109. We also took our friends' advice and parked in a large field/parking lot near the women's softball stadium. Good signage once you're off the interstate. Parking cost $20. The university runs free buses literally every couple of minutes from the parking lots to the Quad; and likewise free buses back to the parking lots after the game. It being dark, the bus driver was helpful in ensuring we got off the bus at the right parking lot. We had no problems at all and were very impressed with the professional way in which the university efficiently shuttled people into and out of the stadium area. A grand experience!!
There is no better game day experience than being in Tuscaloosa. And it's a bonus if you're a Bama fan ;)

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I agree with everyone else about staying in Hoover and driving to TTown. It isn't a long drive, plus if you stay the whole weekend..there are plenty of places to eat, shop and do around Hoover/Birmingham with your Son.

If you need a list of fun places to take your son around the area...let me know.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Is there a way to make a sticky thread about hotel and getting tickets.. what sections is good, foods place to go.. we see lot of threads throughout the season, and I think it would be very helpful if we had the necessary info in sticky thread?

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
You'll have a great time. A few thoughts.

Most of the Tuscaloosa hotels are priced very high on game weekends and require two night minimums. We have stayed in Hoover and Fultondale with good results. Depends on where you are coming from, of course.

As for tickets, I have never wanted to go to a game where I couldn't get tickets. It's just all about your price tolerance. Most of the seats are good. If you have issues with heights, stay out of the upper decks -- they can be a little vertigo inspiring, but once you are seated you tend to forget. Whether to do sidelines or end zone is personal preference. I like both. If you are going to be there early in the fall, remember that it can be very warm, especially the afternoon games. May want to check closer to time about seats in the shade. West side is out of the sun. Do NOT buy tickets lower than about row 10 on the sidelines. Your six year old will not be able to see over the players' heads.

Allow plenty of time to be on the Quad, let your child compare handprints and footprints with Namath and Stabler, etc. There are lots of kid focused activities on the Quad, too. If you ask politely the cheerleaders and crimsonettes are pretty generous about posing for pictures, especially with kids.

Enjoy the game.

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
As far as tickets go, I generally try to sit on the west side of the stadium. Reason being, the sun will move behind you and will give you a much better (cooler) viewing experience. Considering you are thinking of the ULM game, I would strongly consider avoiding seats on the east side of the stadium, as the ULM game is likely to be an 11:00 am start time. You'll thank me later :D

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I'll also agree with others about staying in Hoover. My daughter and I stayed at the Holiday Inn there during Iron Bowl weekend. The Hotel was very nice, and wasn't ungodly expensive considering the weekend and quality of room.

We stayed in Bessemer the weekend before during the W Carolina game at an awful Motel 6. My friend booked the room and at $60/night it was horrible. I asked my friend what did they expect when I found out how much they spent. I also kept my .45 real close to me due to the area the hotel was in. Two towels in a Handicap access room booked for 4 people. I went to the front office for 2 more towels and all they could find in the laundry room was a couple half sized towels. Avoid that hotel at all costs.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
We took our 3 year old to homecoming. We left at halftime, which we had planned on if he was getting hard to handle. We weren't sure when we could all go as a family so it worked out this year. He enjoyed the pep rally and the homecoming parade. I took him for a walk between the 1st and 2nd qtr. We squeeze him in our seats. Thankfully behind us is a concrete wall so he stood behind us or sat next to me when my wife got up out of her seat. He was an unhappy camper though when the co session stand was out of cheese pizza. We took a walk and found a stand with cold chicken fingers and fries. How can you not have honey mustard when you sell chicken fingers? He was not happy. I would say this started to have his meltdown and it was time to leave, but we knew this and thankfully we only did one game, maybe in a couple of years we will all go back.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
We stayed at the Hilton in perimeter park and it was much nicer and cheaper than staying in T town. Especially with the little guy and I don't drink so driving is not an issue.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
As far as tickets go, I generally try to sit on the west side of the stadium. Reason being, the sun will move behind you and will give you a much better (cooler) viewing experience. Considering you are thinking of the ULM game, I would strongly consider avoiding seats on the east side of the stadium, as the ULM game is likely to be an 11:00 am start time. You'll thank me later :D

That^^^^. Really any seat in the lower bowl (don't be fooled into the first 10 row seats you'll see on eBay a lot) will be good and a lot of the upper decks can be nice too. Generally with someone with small kids I would try to find the first few rows of the upper deck on the West side so your son can see the game better as sometimes it can be hard to see for little ones in the lower bowl.

Also if you have to stay like others have said go to the Hoover area. Not a far drive and you will still be near the interstate with a ton of things to do. Getting a hotel in Tuscaloosa can cost a good chunk and not worth the price IMHO.

As for Game Day make sure you get there early and check out the Bryant Museum. It is a MUST for any Bama fan!!

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Took my five year old to his first game this year, so I can empathize with the challenges that come along with it.

First, as you already have, pick a "lesser" game in case he wants to leave early. I was lucky, as my son wanted to stay until he got to hear Rammer Jammer. He wouldn't leave a minute before.

Second, stay in Hoover. It gives you many more options and is a short trip away from Tuscaloosa anyways.

Third, as said above, I would honestly snag Upper deck tickets on the West side of the stadium. Just make sure they are the lower part of the upper deck because it can be tough on kids getting all the way to the top. This will save you money, and give him a good view of the field and everything going on.

The one thing I would also recommend, which I failed at, is get there early enough to see some of the things around campus. The walk of champions, captains, Denny Chimes, and the Coaches statues are all things I WANTED him to see...but got lost int he shuffle of gameday.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Took my five year old to his first game this year, so I can empathize with the challenges that come along with it.

First, as you already have, pick a "lesser" game in case he wants to leave early. I was lucky, as my son wanted to stay until he got to hear Rammer Jammer. He wouldn't leave a minute before.

We have taken our oldest a couple times to the a-day. We usually left halfway due to the heat. Since it was free, I didn't mind. ;) we plan on taking him to an actual game next year for the first time. He has finally started to really show interest in watching football this season.

He will be 8 next year, so I know it will be a lot of fun for him to experience a real gameday.

JQBama42

Scout Team
Sep 24, 2014
Enid, OK
In 2003, my brother, two friends and myself loaded up in my Mustang and drove from Oklahoma to Tuscaloosa for the Bama/OU game. My brother had found a hotel available online in Tuscaloosa and reserved a room at $100 a night. We get to the hotel and it looks straight out of a horror movie. It was called the Scottish Inn. We went to the front desk to check in and a woman with a mustache, a lit cigarette hanging from her lips, fly swatter in hand met us. She said, "What yo'uns want?" My brother explained to him, or her that we had reservations and she said, "What you mean reservation" The cigarette never left her lips. She yelled for some guy and he comes out of another room wearing a dirty wife beater and he checked us in. Walking to our rooms we noticed the bullet holes in the hall windows and an ice machine full of dirt and other ice machine pars. Go into our room and see that there was water damage on the walls and the carpet smelled like a dirty arm pit. The towels in the bathroom were stained and the sink and tub had brown rings around it. My brother and friend went to a convenience store across the street and the clerk was freaking out asking if they had just come from the Scottish Inn, explaining that they raided it for prostitution months before. That hotel was completely full with OU fans. LOL We laugh about that story to this day. Other than the loss to OU, it was a great weekend in Title Town for me.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
We have taken our oldest a couple times to the a-day. We usually left halfway due to the heat. Since it was free, I didn't mind. ;) we plan on taking him to an actual game next year for the first time. He has finally started to really show interest in watching football this season.

He will be 8 next year, so I know it will be a lot of fun for him to experience a real gameday.
Going to a game has really sparked mine's interest in football. He has since learned all the words to the fight song, and likes to berate Auburn at every opportunity. :tongue:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Coming from Tennessee, you could also stay in a motel in Fultondale, Alabama - I-65. It's not a bad drive from there to Tuscaloosa.

Also, there is a shopping center in Fultondale that has a Hibbets and a Bama Fever to buy necessary Bama STUFF. However,
I do always like shopping in the Book Store at the Ferguson Center on campus. Seems to have much better Bama STUFF. You could
also eat a cheap lunch there.

Hooks4bama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2005
Montgomery
Yes, but not for those 11:00 kicks....oh wait they don't make us play those slots anymore :D

BamaFanTN

3rd Team
Mar 1, 2011
Melbourne, FL
Thanks everyone, this has been loads of help. I took him to the titans game this past Sunday as a trial run, and he didn't want to leave till the end and it was a blow out for the wrong team. So I think he will love it and he said to me the other night that he wanted to go to a Bama game, I think he is hooked. I will use all of the advice when planning our trip. Maybe we will meet up with some of you before the game.:BigA:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.