Michigan reaches out to LSU's Les Miles

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Though at this point in time I still say the LSU job is better than Michigan, I think Les has hit his ceiling down there and therefore might at least consider moving on this time. 10 yrs at one job is a very long time nowadays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Just saw on Chris Mortensen's Twitter feed that he spoke to David Cutcliffe, and Cutcliffe said he hasn't talked to Michigan nor has Duke AD Kevin White. No job has been offered to turn down.

TIFWIW
Cut has made it clear that he wants to remain at Duke. You could do a lot worse than making 2 mill + at a great school, in a great community, and NO real pressure to win championships. Cut has it made!

No way he touches that waiting dumpster fire in Ann Arbor.

I'd go after Butch Jones myself. He is proving that he can turn a program around and that would be my biggest criteria if I were making the hire up there. Just like Bama needed a thorough top-to-bottom house cleaning, UM needs a Saban-like force to clean house. Earle and others could attest to the myriad of problems that our program faced that HAD to be addressed before true success would ever happen on the field. Michigan is in that boat now.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Though at this point in time I still say the LSU job is better than Michigan, I think Les has hit his ceiling down there and therefore might at least consider moving on this time. 10 yrs at one job is a very long time nowadays.
LSU is a much better job than Michigan. Given the build-up they have experienced under Saban and Miles, that has to be considered a top-six job now.

Would generally agree that a decade in one place is typically getting long in the tooth, but I wouldn't call the Miles era DOA just yet. There is a ridiculous amount of very young talent in Baton Rouge, and they've got a great chance at another national title if they can find a serviceable QB (and a decent one even if they don't).

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I thought that Cam Cameron was suppose to be the answer to LSU's offensive woes. Looking at his two year stint I really see little change in LSU's offensive philosophy of getting a less than marginal QB and relying on 4-5 big RBs. I really don't understand why Miles can't recruit a top level QB, or if these guys he has recruited are top level, then why is no one developing them which falls to the QB coach, Cam Cameron.

I cannot see Miles, at 61, leaving for a rebuild at Michigan, I think that ship has sailed.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I cannot see Miles, at 61, leaving for a rebuild at Michigan, I think that ship has sailed.
Sounds like Michigan isn't going to offer this job to Les unless everything else falls apart. Not sure why he would take the job if he wasn't their first choice.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
LSU is a much better job than Michigan. Given the build-up they have experienced under Saban and Miles, that has to be considered a top-six job now.

Would generally agree that a decade in one place is typically getting long in the tooth, but I wouldn't call the Miles era DOA just yet. There is a ridiculous amount of very young talent in Baton Rouge, and they've got a great chance at another national title if they can find a serviceable QB (and a decent one even if they don't).
And les we forget, they had two ho-hum 8 win regular seasons in 2008 and 2009 before going nearly undefeated in 2011. I like Les, and I don't think he is done with championship-caliber teams at LSU.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
And les we forget, they had two ho-hum 8 win regular seasons in 2008 and 2009 before going nearly undefeated in 2011. I like Les, and I don't think he is done with championship-caliber teams at LSU.
Right. Les was supposed to be headed for a pink slip, and then he reeled off 34 wins in three years with an undefeated regular season, an SEC title, and a BCSNCG appearance -- despite the fact that they had pretty awful QB play the whole time. And that's not to count the fact that he put about 35 kids in the NFL from those three teams.

Les is a, shall we say, strange coach, but he has been effective and he has as much young talent at his disposal right now as anyone in the country (including Alabama). They won't be an 8-win team moving forward, they'll head back towards title contention, and I figure that happens pretty quickly too.

TraskiTideFan

1st Team
Apr 18, 2009
Savannah TN
Marquee matchup for the Michigan/Ohio State game every year. urban vs les. Intriguing..
Now you know he would gripe that Ohio State was Michigan's permanent rival game at some point, to get out of it. LOL. That whole Florida/LSU deal they were trying to blow up to justify busting traditional rivalries kind of perturbed me.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Also, could you imagine Art Briles coaching LSU? Baton Rouge is just a stones throw from Texas. He could monopolize Texas and Louisiana talent. Briles has went on record saying he wouldn't leave Texas, but Ive always said that LSU could be an exception due to proximity.
I don't think Briles ever leaves Texas, much less Baylor. LSU could throw a lot of money out there to possibly change his mind, but I seriously doubt it.

Doubt he goes IMO. Michigan is a 4-5 year turnaround project ... if they still were stocked with decent talent like when Urban took over at OSU it may be a different story. BUT then again ... it is Les we're talking about. :)

They do need a home run hire like a Les Miles-type to turn it around though cause right now they are taking a back-seat to both OSU and MSU ... and living a few years in Michigan I already know that fans are NOT happy about that.
Yep until they get a big name they will never win another Big 10 title.

My son attends LSU and lives in Baton Rouge. There is a lot of "Les Miles" fatigue there. Most feel the last two years Les has severely underperformed. Many would love to see him set sail for Michigan.

Personally l love the guy. No, not as a coach. Simply from the aspect of comic relief.
I agree. I know quite a few LSU fans and they are sick of him now. They wouldn't have any trouble finding a coach, but I just don't think there are any big names out there that would leave their current job for that one though. Not a big enough name to make them happy.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Not sure Les can turn a program around and rebuild it - nothing in his coaching history makes me think he can do that. He was 'meh' at OSU and kinda maintained LSU post-Saban. And I don't want him leaving the SEC. But I hope that whatever he decides makes him happy.
Idk. The thing anybody who takes the Michigan job needs to do first is take back the state from dantonio. Les could do that since Michigan is still the premier program. Then him vs urban is an equal match. So it isn't going to be like saban coming to lsu kinda situation. I think les might be their best choice if harbaugh says no

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
We need another great head coach in the B1G, so I would love it if he chooses Michigan. I don't want to deal with another strong Michigan team, but a weak conference almost cost us a shot at the playoff this year so we need something like this.
I agree with you because Florida being down has hurt the SEC IMHO. That will change with their new hire.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I also find this nearly impossible to believe. I would require a statement from Cutcliffe of the school directly to buy it.
And Cut and Duke have told numerous reporters the report of an offer is false. They say neither Cut nor Duke has talked to Michigan.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.