Buckeye Fan Here

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
Scramble, who knows? As yet untested.....not nifty, or quick by any means but big, strong and hard to get on the ground and throws well on the run and a flick of the wrist sends it a long way. He'll throw it downfield for sure and the ball skills of your DB's will be tested again by a group of DB's that I would bet compare quite favorably to Mizzou's. If your kids don't do a better job than they did in the SEC championship game there will be some big plays downfield.....that said, I suspect CNS and his staff know that as well and are working hard to correct the problem
I was looking at a Buckeye forum, seems most of the guys there are unconcerned with JT Barrett being out, calling Jones the 12 gauge and stuff, that Wisconsin game must have really sold the fan base on him.

But to me, Barrett was a Heisman hopeful and record setting QB this year, Jones has to be a downgrade in overall skill set and has very little experience.
Jones isn't the guy that led the offense all year and won most of the games, seems like a pretty big blow from the outside looking in.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I was looking at a Buckeye forum, seems most of the guys there are unconcerned with JT Barrett being out, calling Jones the 12 gauge and stuff, that Wisconsin game must have really sold the fan base on him.

But to me, Barrett was a Heisman hopeful and record setting QB this year, Jones has to be a downgrade in overall skill set and has very little experience.
Jones isn't the guy that led the offense all year and won most of the games, seems like a pretty big blow from the outside looking in.
Only our most delusional fans don't recognize what we lost when Barrett went down, especially when playing an Alabama team that has struggled with good scrambling QB while dominating QBs who could not scramble.

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014

It's a huge blow.....for several reasons: 1) Jones doesn't have the same skill set as JT/Brax - the run threat with the read-option is nowhere near as compelling and Urban/Herman will have to adjust the gameplan accordingly, 2) this is only the kids 2nd start and doesn't have anywhere near an adequate number of snaps under his belt to be "battle-tested" or experienced from in terms of reading and seeing coverages and checking out of bad situations at the LOS.....

That said, Jones was actually ahead of Barrett on the depth chart going into fall camp so the kid is not without skills.....he's big, has a big arm and this is his 3rd year in the program, so he knows the offense completely. He gained alot of confidence in the B1G championship game which is a great and wonderful thing, but Wisky was complete "out-athleted" on both sides of the ball......the windows he had to throw -v- Wisky will be that much smaller. The time he had to survey his progressions will be that much less and he's not going to just be able to throw it up in the air and be confident that our WR will win all contested balls.....it just ain't gonna happen.

I would hope that Urban, in order to get the kids ready for Bama's speed and athleticism, will spend some time working "one's" -v- "one's" to give the big boy and others at least some opportunity to acclimate to game speed....I don't know how much they do that during the regular season....given the limited time available, I doubt very much at all. This isn't Urban's first rodeo, I think he'll have the kids ready to play at a high level

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Good catch....my bad. We'll play 6 with a variety of skill sets....a good mix of experience, speed, hops, toughness and flash.

The best two, Devin Smith, a Sr with excellent speed, a great vertical and ball skills just passed Cris Carter for #2 all time TD catches as a Buckeye https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93MuHioEsvY and Mike Thomas, a sophomore is still learning but is a big, physical target 6'3" can go up and get it and comes from good bloodlines - Keyshan Johnson's nephew.http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...es-td-catch-over-defender-in-back-of-end-zone

Hope you don't mind me posting these videos, thought it might be helpful to provide some examples for the commentary....still a work in process, but this group has come along way from the group that Urban characterized as a "clown show" at the beginning of camp last year.
Wow! That one handed catch was spectacular. Looks like good hands on your receivers.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Only our most delusional fans don't recognize what we lost when Barrett went down, especially when playing an Alabama team that has struggled with good scrambling QB while dominating QBs who could not scramble.
There seems to be a lot over there on that link Earle posted. Most think Jones will step right in and throw for 450 yards on us while running for 200. It ain't gonna happen.

As everyone has said it will come down to Jones vs. Sims. Whoever plays better and doesn't turn the ball over will lead his team to the win. Of course that is generally always the case, but in this game it really is the matchup that will decide this game. Generally the only "player" that can hurt Bama's defense is a running QB who can throw the ball, meanwhile our offense goes as Blake goes period. If he is on, we are almost guaranteed to have 500+ yards. If not, he's going for about 200 and we will struggle to hit 300-400 as a team.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
No, zero chance Brax makes it back for the game.....uncertain if he'll even begin throwing anything other than nerf balls before spring practice. Tough injury, alot of rehab.

We will have one of WR/H-Backs available for the game for the first time in a month. He's one of our playmakers and you can't have too many and we've missed him. Dontre Wilson - little guy but with great speed and quickness. Will line up in the slot, out wide, in the backfield with Elliot and run a little wildcat. Good to have him back and threaten the edges....

I'm anxious to see the package that Urban/Herman develop for him in this game......without Miller's and to a lesser extent Barret's lateral quickness, mobility and explosiveness he is nowhere near the threat running the read-option. That said, he is a big kid and a much better thrower than Tebow and he had some success running an Urban offense.....interesting to see. The kid has a big arm and we will take shots downfield with plenty of kids that can go get it.....it seemed as if every 50/50 ball that the Mizzou kid Mauk throw up for grabs, one of the Mizzou kids came down with it....what's up with that?

Some were because of scrambling and the safety cheating up anticipating the QB to run, some were just great plays, some were the DB just didn't find the ball. It wasn't just that game, it was the last 2 games. I think I read Bama gave up almost as many plays of 30+ yards in the last 2 games as they did in the 10 previous. One thing though, very few of those long plays resulted in TDs, and the defense kept teams out of the end zone after the catches. We also have a DB that had ACL surgery in April and is lacking some agility. But is very talented and big. I know Urban Meyer has noticed those deficiencies, but Nick has as well . I am sure they will make adjustments in coverage during the long layoff.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Bama has a blend of size, power, speed and now depth on the DL that should be our ace in the hole....

They get little pub, and are getting better every game.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Bama has a blend of size, power, speed and now depth on the DL that should be our ace in the hole....

They get little pub, and are getting better every game.
I agree - I was worried about the offense at the start of the season, but felt like this would be as good a defense as Bama has ever had, by years end. Stats won't back that up because of two bad games by the secondary (not bad, just not that great), but the scoring defense is right up there.
As for run defense, I feel like it compares to the best (now) that Bama has ever had - now, at this point in time - not necessarily in the skills of the starting 7, but the overall skills in that group two-deep.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree - I was worried about the offense at the start of the season, but felt like this would be as good a defense as Bama has ever had, by years end. Stats won't back that up because of two bad games by the secondary (not bad, just not that great), but the scoring defense is right up there.
As for run defense, I feel like it compares to the best (now) that Bama has ever had - now, at this point in time - not necessarily in the skills of the starting 7, but the overall skills in that group two-deep.
Actually, Gary D. mentioned that the last game. He counted nine on the DL/LB that we run in and out interchangeably. That's hard to hold up against for 60 minutes...

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Welcome to the site Buckeye fans. I am a Bama fan who happens to live in Wheelersburg, Ohio. I really think this is going to be a much closer game than what many of the talking heads are saying. The biggest difference I see with the Bucks in the 3 years and other teams is speed on defense. I have been very impressed with the DL especially. Looking forward to a good, hard fought game.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Actually, Gary D. mentioned that the last game. He counted nine on the DL/LB that we run in and out interchangeably. That's hard to hold up against for 60 minutes...
As long as coach saban keeps bringing in top recruiting classes and creating quality depth, this playoff scheme it tailor made for Alabama. Defense ,depth and a strong kicking game will win you a championship and Bama has all three.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.