Heisman Finalist Deserving

bamamac77

Feb 12, 2008
Who besides myself thinks that Blake Sims deserves to be a Heisman Finalist and invited to New York. His QBR rating is second only to Mariota, has the same record 12-1 (Blake in first year as a starter) and has made just as an impressive contribution to his team's success. Not to mention he has led his team to the #1 ranking too. I'm not saying he should win, but not to be considered worthy with his accomplishments as a player and leader to get a deserving opportunity is a just another example of how the Heisman creditability has gone down hill in recent years in my opinion. It is meant to recognize the best college player despite what position you play. Its not always a QB or running back that meets that criteria but then tell the Heisman Committee. Alabama should have two representatives in New York in my opinion, call me crazy but thats how I feel. What say you?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not a snub. The best QB, RB and WR are finalists. Sims did not have a better year than Mariota. He also had Cooper to help his stats, and Cooper has been invited. You have to invite a RB with over 2000 yards rushing in a power 5 conference.

Cooper got his votes, and deservingly so.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
Not a snub. The best QB, RB and WR are finalists. Sims did not have a better year than Mariota. He also had Cooper to help his stats, and Cooper has been invited. You have to invite a RB with over 2000 yards rushing in a power 5 conference.

I don't recall anyone saying that Blake had a better year than Mariota. They both have their teams in the playoffs. I love Coop and appreciate his greatness as much as anyone but why do people tend to give WRs all the credit as if they are throwing the balls to themselves? This happens in the NFL as well as college. Cooper had to have Blake in order to get his stats, too.

It has been a very long time since they have only invited three. Last year, they invited six candidates, three of which were QBs. While Manziel was electrifying, his stats were helped by some of the ridiculous catches made by Evans. AJ's stats were also helped by his receivers. Based last year, I believe Blake should have been invited.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Why are there two threads on this?

No, he was no snubbed. I think they got it right this year with only three invites.

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed
It will be special for Oregon to (likely) get its first Heisman winner. But I would prefer that Winston and Sims were in the mix so that they will also be hounded by the spotlight and distracted by the compulsory banquets, photo ops, etc. Our team doesn't really need this circus when it's preparing for the biggest game in Oregon history.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

True. Had Sims rushed for 1000+ yards in addition to the passing numbers he put up, he would have for sure gotten an invite over Cooper but AC is without a doubt the best player on the team.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

I totally agree. He has had a great year and hopefully a Nat. Championship. He wasn't snubbed.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It has been a very long time since they have only invited three. Last year, they invited six candidates, three of which were QBs. While Manziel was electrifying, his stats were helped by some of the ridiculous catches made by Evans. AJ's stats were also helped by his receivers. Based last year, I believe Blake should have been invited.
I think that they went to 6 last year just to get Tre Mason in the room, so electrifying was his play. He came in 6th in the voting. I have no idea where Sims might have ranked in the voting, but if he is in the top 5, I would agree with you. His not getting invited probably means that he didn't get many votes.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
It will be special for Oregon to (likely) get its first Heisman winner. But I would prefer that Winston and Sims were in the mix so that they will also be hounded by the spotlight and distracted by the compulsory banquets, photo ops, etc. Our team doesn't really need this circus when it's preparing for the biggest game in Oregon history.
I wouldn't worry too much about that. Mariota has never struck me as a guy who's bought into his own press -- these days that's a rare find. Mark Ingram certainly had no problem with it. ;)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If sims had got the winning score against ole miss then I would agree with the way the season played out, and yes I know Marcus had a bad game against Arizona but his stats and play have been way off the chart since then.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.