Oregon State hires Gary Anderson from Wisconsin

CLINT

1st Team
Aug 11, 2010
Central Illinois
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/10/oregon-state-hires-wisconsins-gary-anderson/

Oregon State lost one head coach to the Big Ten. As it turns out, the Beavers may be landing a coach from the Big Ten as well.Wisconsin head coach Gary Anderson will be the new head coach of Oregon State, according to a report from The Portland Tribune. Anderson reportedly was one of five finalists to fill the coaching vacancy at Oregon State afterMike Riley accepted a job offer from Nebraska. The 50-year old head coach is certainly a good fit for Oregon State out west, and it is certainly a surprise to see Wisconsin lose another coach to another power conference program buried in its respective division. Wisconsin also lost Bret Bielema to Arkansas juts a few years ago.
Just as shocking as Nebraska hiring Riley from Oregon State, the Beavers luring a coach away from one of the top Big Ten programs in recent seasons is a bit of a shock.
Anderson is coming off a brutal loss in the Big Ten championship game. Wisconsin lost to Ohio State, 59-0, after powering its way to a Big Ten West Division championship.Wisconsin was 10-3 under Anderson this season, and his brief two-year stint with the Beavers comes to an abrupt end with a record of 19-7. Including his time at Utah State, Anderson has a record of 45-31.
Now, Wisconsin is back on the prowl for a new head coach. Paul Chryst at Pittsburgh would seem like a logical choice. The head coach of the Panthers was an assistant at Wisconsin under Bielema.
Wisconsin joins Michigan in the search for a new head coach in the Big Ten.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Wow, I didn't see that coming. Maybe he got a little too much heat for the OSU 59-0 drubbing! Maybe he just wanted to go back west.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Or perhaps Barry Alverez isn't fun to work for.
According to reports, he and Alvarez got along perfectly well. Admittedly, I don't know Andersons background. However, one article I read mentioned he wanted to go back west and wasn't happy in Wisconsin. So I'm guessing it was more about geographical location as opposed to chance of success.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
According to reports, he and Alvarez got along perfectly well. Admittedly, I don't know Andersons background. However, one article I read mentioned he wanted to go back west and wasn't happy in Wisconsin. So I'm guessing it was more about geographical location as opposed to chance of success.
I'm wanting to say he was an alum of Utah State, I think they said that the year he gave the barn fits when they should have upset them. He is from that area if it's not Utah.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I think any coach who comes in to work for Alvarez is going to be expected to run a similar scheme. He may have gotten along with the AD but may not have liked the environment.

That being said, Oregon State may have won this year's coaching carousel in terms of getting the best value upgrade.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
I think any coach who comes in to work for Alvarez is going to be expected to run a similar scheme. He may have gotten along with the AD but may not have liked the environment.

That being said, Oregon State may have won this year's coaching carousel in terms of getting the best value upgrade.
Yeah, this was my first thought. Andersen was a spread guy prior to Wisconsin, right?

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014

I can't imagine Wisconsin not being a run-first team predicated on great OL play, can you? I don't think the fans would like it either.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I do think he is from the west so maybe he just wants to get back. Would you want to live and work in Madison or Ann Arbor growing up in the south?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.