Blake Sims should have been a Heisman Trophy finalist

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I thought Blake deserved a trip to NYC but not sure on the whole Heisman as far as winning it goes. Maybe you have to have a decent chance to win it before they invite you. Who knows. Blake is *my* favorite player but I suppose I can understand it if Mariota, Gordon or Coop gets the award. Probably Mariota will and if he does, I don't think I can say he doesn't deserve it. The guy has been very impressive.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Better yet, go back and check the game threads through most of the season. A handful of people were clamoring for Coker throughout the season.
I have to admit that after the 3rd int against the boogs I was ready for Coker to come in and thought the game was lost without a heroic effort. We got that heroic effort from Sims. Kudos to Blake and to the coaches for making the right call. The int at the end of the Ole Miss game was on Howard for not squaring up and high-pointing the ball. The ball was in the exact right spot.

I think Sims is deserving of at least consideration. That alone seems miraculous. Sims worked his butt off during the off season to be ready and it shows. Congrats to him. I didn't think he would undergo such a startling transformation from what I witnessed (mainly) at several A-Days to what I've witnessed this year. I am very impressed with this young man's character, his pluck, his grit. It really symbolic of this team's persona this year, if you ask me. Just when you think they've gone down for good they get right back up, keep fighting, and find a way many more times than not. Congratulations to the young man for going from never gonna start to won't win more than 10 games to SEC Champion to Heisman consideration by at least a few folks. Wow.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Just an observation.......

It's funny how Blake is viewed now as opposed at the start of the season. In June everyone was praying for Coker, now it's Blake for Heisman. Fans!
Wasn't just Bama fans..........Did ya see the Spring Game? An unknown had to be better than what we saw. I don't know when Blake got 'it', but I am glad he did.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I thought Alasippi caught the most flack for defending Sims. I and my adamant position that he can throw the deep ball (the question now might be which Alabama QB could throw a better deep ball) caught some, but some people really gave Alasippi a hard time.

Anyway, I kept seeing Winston's name being brought up in the Heisman discussion, and there's simply no doubt that Sims deserved at least as much consideration this year as Winston. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say he should have been top 3, but his name should have been a bigger part of the discussion.
Winston gets mentioned simply because he is the reigning Heisman winner. No one in their right mind can make a logical reason for Winston to be a Heisman candidate this year outside of, "Well, he won it last year".

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I would be fine if a player (any player from any school) publicly said, "No thank you", to the Heisman trip. I know that won't happen but, IMHO, The Heisman needs a reality check and needs to get back to awarding young men who are great athletes, great students, and community leaders instead of the guy with the best stats. That award needs to make an effort to regain some integrity or be discontinued.

No reflection on any finalists from this year.
This would really change the politics of it I think, but will never happen. ESPN to big now & they control it.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
We all know that Mariota will win but Blake should have been invited. This is the first time in a long time that they only invited three. If the Honey Badger was able to go then Blake should have be too.
I didn't realize they invite a different number of candidates in different years. In my opinion, it would appear to be more fair if they had a set number to invite each year...the same number invited every year.

An arbitrary, random number of candidates chosen helps to reduce my already stretched-thin respect for the Heisman Trophy.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I didn't realize they invite a different number of candidates in different years. In my opinion, it would appear to be more fair if they had a set number to invite each year...the same number invited every year.

An arbitrary, random number of candidates chosen helps to reduce my already stretched-thin respect for the Heisman Trophy.
It's based on the % of the vote you get. I don't know what the set amount is, but basically, Mariotta, Gordon and Cooper got the lions share of the votes, so they are invited. Some years the vote is more concentrated than others.

Had Sims gotten enough votes, he likely would have cannibalized votes from Cooper and neither of them would have been invited. I don't know that I've ever seen 2 candidates from the same team in the finals. This can happen regionally as well. It was theorized that Honey Badger took votes from Richardson, since they split the vote in the southern region.

Rolltidegirl205

All-SEC
Sep 20, 2014
He really should be. I don't think he got enough praise this season until our last game, which is unfortunate.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I thought Alasippi caught the most flack for defending Sims. I and my adamant position that he can throw the deep ball (the question now might be which Alabama QB could throw a better deep ball) caught some, but some people really gave Alasippi a hard time.

Anyway, I kept seeing Winston's name being brought up in the Heisman discussion, and there's simply no doubt that Sims deserved at least as much consideration this year as Winston. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say he should have been top 3, but his name should have been a bigger part of the discussion.
Thanks so much K. I did indeed get some flack. BUT, I want it be known. I never one time predicted anything about Blake's future performance. I simply said that I thought Coach Saban would give him one opportunity to start one game. Our first game, this year, against West Virginia.
That was it.
That launched an avalanche of criticism. Oh well.
Hey. I got suspended from this board for defending Kevin Norwood when "experts" were calling him , "slow" and an "average" wide receiver.
It felt good watching him catching a pass for the Seahawks last week.
I despise seeing players, who are giving it their all for Bama, being scrutinized, so much.
That being said, Blake far exceeded my expectations.
He's been incredible.
Thanks again..
Sip

Tidefan1

Scout Team
Aug 21, 2013
It's based on the % of the vote you get. I don't know what the set amount is, but basically, Mariotta, Gordon and Cooper got the lions share of the votes, so they are invited. Some years the vote is more concentrated than others.

Had Sims gotten enough votes, he likely would have cannibalized votes from Cooper and neither of them would have been invited. I don't know that I've ever seen 2 candidates from the same team in the finals. This can happen regionally as well. It was theorized that Honey Badger took votes from Richardson, since they split the vote in the southern region.
Bush/Leinhart and White/Peterson were finalists as teammates

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
There has to be a big "PR" push from fan organizations or boosters to get a player in the race also. I remember at FSU when Charlie Ward won it. The push started at the beginning of the year with $$$ behind it. Blake simply didn't gel early enough to get the push that Amari already had coming into the year.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Thanks so much K. I did indeed get some flack. BUT, I want it be known. I never one time predicted anything about Blake's future performance. I simply said that I thought Coach Saban would give him one opportunity to start one game. Our first game, this year, against West Virginia.
That was it.
That launched an avalanche of criticism. Oh well.
Hey. I got suspended from this board for defending Kevin Norwood when "experts" were calling him , "slow" and an "average" wide receiver.
It felt good watching him catching a pass for the Seahawks last week.
I despise seeing players, who are giving it their all for Bama, being scrutinized, so much.
That being said, Blake far exceeded my expectations.
He's been incredible.
Thanks again..
Sip
Blake has far exceeded all our expectations...I am overjoyed for him and the team. Also, note that two players, Blake and Jalston Fowler, both of whom stayed for 5 years and worked hard, now have their handprints at Denny Chimes. No one would have predicted this.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.