Blake Sims should have been a Heisman Trophy finalist

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
No way. While I truly think he is our MVP right along with Coop there is no way he is a Heisman finalist IMO.

Mariota is clearly the best QB in terms of stats this year. Sims has put up very respectable numbers, but IMO not enough for a Heisman campaign.

To me Coop is clearly the best player in America period and he wont even win the Heisman.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Something I've thought for most of the season: Blake Sims should get a trip to NYC too.

Thoughts?
Agree. Heisman is more about stats. Character, resilience, and tenacity are traits that should be part of the Heisman winner fiber. The strength of schedule and the hard work that went into making the candidate successful should also be part of the process. If it's a stat contest, why vote? Simply take the number one QB or running back and put them on the pedestal. No need for New York and an hour of ESPN primetime.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
IMO he had way too many slumping moments. He made plays when he had too for us to win (except against Ole Miss), but he was very forgettable against Arkansas and LSU, and he had a terrible first half against Auburn. With the exception of Auburn and Florida, we have won because of our defense.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Even with crimson colored glasses, I don't think Blake was a Heisman candidate. First, his name wasn't being tossed around at the start of the year for anything other than "This guy will back-up Coker". Cooper was on a bunch of watch lists and at least had the advantage of being a household name. Second, he wasn't dominant through out the season. Too many up and down games. Mariota was pretty dominant from the get go.

At the very least, I think Blake should have beaten Dak out for first team All-SEC. Dak had a good October run, but Blake was the better QB down the stretch. Surprised that late season push didn't resonate more with voters.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Just an observation.......

It's funny how Blake is viewed now as opposed at the start of the season. In June everyone was praying for Coker, now it's Blake for Heisman. Fans!

Hooks4bama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2005
Montgomery

It's funny how Blake is viewed now as opposed at the start of the season. In June everyone was praying for Coker, now it's Blake for Heisman. Fans!
I agree. I went back to threads from early August and there were so many saying he just didn't have a deep ball. LOL. He has one of the nicer deep balls i've seen IMO.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
IMO he had way too many slumping moments. He made plays when he had too for us to win (except against Ole Miss), but he was very forgettable against Arkansas and LSU, and he had a terrible first half against Auburn. With the exception of Auburn and Florida, we have won because of our defense.
Was Mariota the same way in the first game against Arizona?

I think Bama has had at least 4 QB's that have been deserving of the Heisman trophy: Namath, Stabler, McCarron and Blake Sims.
Huarte over Namath was ridiculous! Who signed that BIG contract with the Jets? Not Huarte.

In the past, playing for tOSU, Michigan, ND, and USCw would get you that trophy. I guess if Namath, Stabler, and McCarron had played for ND or
USCw, they would have received the Heisman.

So, in my book, Blake Sims is as deserving as anyone! If C. Jones had not fumbled on the last kick-off against Ole Miss, we may not have lost that game.
I'm a BIG C. Jones fan, but that's a fact Jack!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I thought he would be the QB to start the season and that he would have to prove himself to keep the job. And he did. However, I wasn't sure he'd be QBing the 2nd half against WVU because I had seen him in the "A Day" game and that was not an impressive showing. However, I knew he was being held back from showing all that he could do by not running the ball in the A Day game. He is very elusive with quick feet and he had shown that characteristic in some mop up duty last year.

I think Alasippi thought the same thing.

If I were Coach Saban, I'd be looking for a multi-talented dual threat QB just like Blake. This opened up a new dimension for the OFFENSE that Coach Saban had never, I think, utilized. Having a very mature Blake Sims made it even better. One of my concerns all year was hoping that he would NOT get hurt running the ball.

If you are going to have a dual threat QB, you had better have at least 2 good ones because the chances of getting hurt are a lot higher than a pro style QB like McCarron.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
We all know that Mariota will win but Blake should have been invited. This is the first time in a long time that they only invited three. If the Honey Badger was able to go then Blake should have be too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I would be fine if a player (any player from any school) publicly said, "No thank you", to the Heisman trip. I know that won't happen but, IMHO, The Heisman needs a reality check and needs to get back to awarding young men who are great athletes, great students, and community leaders instead of the guy with the best stats. That award needs to make an effort to regain some integrity or be discontinued.

No reflection on any finalists from this year.

Last edited:

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
Wonder if he would had connected on that pass to Howard at the end of the Ole Miss game, would he have got some Heisman hype?
We would have stayed undefeated and he would have had the game winning TD pass instead of the interception that sealed the loss.

I don't think anybody is beating Mariota this year though.

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL

Better yet, go back and check the game threads through most of the season. A handful of people were clamoring for Coker throughout the season.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think Alasippi thought the same thing.
I thought Alasippi caught the most flack for defending Sims. I and my adamant position that he can throw the deep ball (the question now might be which Alabama QB could throw a better deep ball) caught some, but some people really gave Alasippi a hard time.

Anyway, I kept seeing Winston's name being brought up in the Heisman discussion, and there's simply no doubt that Sims deserved at least as much consideration this year as Winston. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say he should have been top 3, but his name should have been a bigger part of the discussion.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
All QBs have slumping moments. Sometimes whole slumping quarters...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.