Why oh why is Amari not the front runner for the Heisman?

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed
While I am a Bama fan , it's got nothing to do with that. My argument is with who is the best player. Yes, Coop is a great player on a team of very good players, and if that is so, and he does what he has done in THE SEC isn't that a more impressive feat? Heck, can you imagine what he woulda done in the PAC 12?
Probably would be as good as Marquis Lee of USC in the PAC 12.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
If you are discounting what Mariotta did because he didn't play in the SEC, then you are missing the last 7 years of SEC football which have seen lots of QB's put up REALLY impressive numbers. Go back and look at the top QB number from 2008 (Tebow and Stafford), 2009 (Tebow and Mallett), 2010 (6 Qb's over 2800 yards and G MaC with 70% comp %), 2011 (Tyler Wilson), 2012 (Manziel, AJ, and a total of 10 QB's with 3000+ yards), 2013 (Manziel, Mett, AJ, Murray, oh and Connor Shaw with 24 td's to 1 int), and this year (Sims and Prescott).

While defenses in the SEC are GENERALLY better statistically, QB's can thrive in this league. Mariotta would be just as good, imo, no matter where you put him.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Re: Why oh why is Amarinot the front runner for the Heisman?

Always has been and always will be a beauty contest ... it's rarely the best player -- just the one who is promoted most by the media

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Amari is facing a stacked deck. Hard to win awards when the deciding people are suffering from Alabama Fatigue.

Nationally, more people are pulling for anyone, or everyone to beat us. (Just listen to the announcers)
All our guys face this when they are up for awards.
Our assistants face it, and Coach Saban faces it every week.

OUR ONLY RECOURSE IS TO KICK SOMEBODIES BUTTS EVERY WEEK. (Satisfaction may be all we get) ;)

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

I'll say again that I have no problem with Mariota winning. I just wish Amari was being given a little more respect than it being a landslide.

He is having one of the best WR single seasons ever in the one league in the country known for defense. I just think it should be more of a debate than it is.

I will also reiterate again that Cooper has faced 8 defenses in the Top 60 and Mariota ONE in the top 70. I get that Mariota is going to win but it should be closer in the voting than it will be.

Coop could finish between 1,800 to 2,000 yrds receiving. He gets less than 10 rec's/touches a game...think about it..,it's every bit as amazing as Mariota.

Last edited:

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
And most of the country feels that Marriotta is the best player. Amari is great, but this is the way the Heisman has been for 80 years - it's not some new thing out of the blue.
I never said it was, and sorry, I respectfully disagree with you. The Heisman USED to be who was the best player in CFB, and IMO that's Coop. Also, if some are thinking out there that I have bias towards Oregon or Mariotta, your wrong...I know he's good. But, I just think fair is fair. While you can't compare the two because they play different positions, I don't think some understand what I am saying and I wish I woulda never started this thread.

Last edited:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
It's been Mariotta's award to lose from the start of the season. And he hasn't done anything to lose it.

Amari has had a great year, but he wasn't really on the Heisman radar to start. Same with Gordon. For goodness sake, Gordon set the single game NCAA rushing record (albeit for 1 week) and is dang close to Barry Sanders NCAA single season rushing record. Any other year, he'd be the man to beat. But Mariotta got all the preseason press and he hasn't disappointed.

That's just the way the Heisman works.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
First, and imo, the 'frontrunner' isn't always the one that gets the award. Sometimes, the committee can surprise. Second, and I think more importantly, I no longer have enough respect for the committee to care anymore. When they removed the "character" factor, it made the trophy itself more of a beauty contest award than that of a true student/athletics award. When a rapist and thief can be nominated and then go on to receive it, the trophy award has been dirtied to such an extent that it's no longer worth having.
So even if Amari isn't chosen to receive it, I say this: "Who cares?"

Last edited:

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
I never said it was, and sorry, I respectfully disagree with you. The Heisman USED to be who was the best player in CFB, and IMO that's Coop.
It has ALWAYS been primarily a glamour position award i.e. QBs and running backs. Look back at the history of the award -even back to the 30's and 40's.

Think about it, would you feel the same if a wide receiver for Oregon won the Heisman over a QB from Alabama?

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Mariota is getting it as a career achievement award.
It might also possibly have something to do with leading the nation in pass efficiency (38 TDs, 2 INTs, 10.2 YPA - all in the top two in the country) while rushing for 14 TDs and leading his team to the playoff. Maybe.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.