Why oh why is Amari not the front runner for the Heisman?

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
It has ALWAYS been primarily a glamour position award i.e. QBs and running backs. Look back at the history of the award -even back to the 30's and 40's.

Think about it, would you feel the same if a wide receiver for Oregon won the Heisman over a QB from Alabama?
You betcha I would, especially if I thought he was a better all around player and more deserving.;)

Last edited:

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I'm curious, why is Mariotta never in any pictures with AMARI and Melvin Gordon? They seem to be together a lot but Mariotta is never with them. Maybe I have just missed those pics.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Re: Why oh why is Amarinot the front runner for the Heisman?

All three Heisman finalists were just on CBS at the Army-Navy halftime. All three of these guys are sharp young men and will do well after football.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The Heisman USED to be who was the best player in CFB, and IMO that's Coop. Also, if some are thinking out there that I have bias towards Oregon or Mariotta, your wrong...I know he's good. But, I just think fair is fair.
What would Mariota's stats need to look like or what else should he have done for you to think that he is the better college football player?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Mariota is getting it as a career achievement award.
the media has wanted to give it to Mariota since the beginning of this year. Frankly they have wanted to give it to him every year but he always has that one bad game and bad loss. this year he did not do anything to change voters minds.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Amari said in an interview that because the QB has so much responsibility on every play that he feels, "Marcus deserves the award". Amari's just class personified.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Amari said in an interview that because the QB has so much responsibility on every play that he feels, "Marcus deserves the award". Amari's just class personified.
He has a good point. The QB has a lot on his shoulders especially in that offense he runs.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
He has a good point. The QB has a lot on his shoulders especially in that offense he runs.
Wide receivers have one route to run. QB's have four or five decisions to make on most plays. So yes, Amari makes a good point. I'll say this, I've never seen a better receiver in college. Amari won't win the Heisman, but barring injury, he'll be playing in the NFL for a long long time. Ultimately, being able to retire at 30 may help him overcome some of the disappointment of losing the Heisman. :)

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Probably would've helped if he was fielding punts and kickoffs like Howard and Brown did at the WR position.

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Great Pic! It's interesting that this was brought up. I was listening to "The College Football Playbook" yesterday with former Heisman winner Archie Griffin, Eddie George and Tim Brown. They were discussing the meaning of "integrity" and the current generation of players. Tim Brown stated that Mark Ingram is the only one that really reflects what the "Heisman" is really about in the current generation of players. They were really hard on Winston.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
That's why Winston didn't show up :)
Great Pic! It's interesting that this was brought up. I was listening to "The College Football Playbook" yesterday with former Heisman winner Archie Griffin, Eddie George and Tim Brown. They were discussing the meaning of "integrity" and the current generation of players. Tim Brown stated that Mark Ingram is the only one that really reflects what the "Heisman" is really about in the current generation of players. They were really hard on Winston.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This is me just looking back at seasons I was too young to appreciate, but it feels like the two WR winners came in exceptionally weak years for the Heisman. 1987 had an D-1AA player finish 3rd in the voting. 1991's runner-up was a solid but not spectacular QB season even for the 1990s type offenses.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.