Why oh why is Amari not the front runner for the Heisman?

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Someone out there wanna explain to me why the best wide receiver in the country, that plays in the toughest conference in the nation, who leads just about all catagories is not the frontrunner for the Heisman trophy??...While Mariotta is good, I wonder how well he would play in the SEC where Defense is played and not just out there on the field..I feel like the media has a darling in Mariotta and he won the Heisman even before the season really began. I just feel like Coop is the best player in ALL of CFB and his track record this year shows it. JMO:mad2:

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
Re: Why oh why is Amarinot the front runner for the Heisman?

Only thing I can think of is because he is a receiver and doesn't return kicks and punts. Other than that, not sure?

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam

He is a wide receiver. Tends to go to qbs and rbs. He is very deserving but will not win it. I think it will be Marcus by a landslide. But I am glad to say this will be the cleanest, nicest, classiest group of guys in like forever. I will not feel like taking a shower after I watch the show like last year.

NCTide

Scout Team
Nov 30, 2014

As my 1st post ever on the site, I will say that Coop is very deserving, BUT I don't expect him to win. The voters love QB's and Mariota has insane stats. If Coop isn't a close 2nd something is wrong.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

If this was another year...he would probably be able to win it. But Marcus definitely has the stats this year. Like they said above, if Amari can't win it...I am fine with Marcus.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

His stats are awesome, and being a front runner to open the season is a big part of it.

Pass
254/372
68.3 %
3783 yards
38 TD
2 INT

Rush
117 carries
5.7 YPC
669 yards
14 TD

But as I said before, if I had a vote, then Amari would get it.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.

Fellas, I know Amari is a WR, and if that's the reason why, then that is a load of crud. I know Mariotta 's stats are outrageous, but look what conference he plays in. There's no Defense in the PAC 12 (JMO)...Oh they may play one evry once in a while, like Stanford, but week in and week out it's 60ish point games and a 75% passing game. So of course his stats are gonna be outrageous. But you can't compare Coop because he's a WR to a QB. I just think his season (in the TOUGHEST CONFERENCE) in the Nation ought to account for something.

NCTide

Scout Team
Nov 30, 2014

And I thought what AJ did in 2012 with 30 TD's and 3 picks was impressive. Wow.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

His stats are awesome, and being a front runner to open the season is a big part of it.

Pass
254/372
68.3 %
3783 yards
38 TD
2 INT

Rush
117 carries
5.7 YPC
669 yards
14 TD

But as I said before, if I had a vote, then Amari would get it.
BINGO, its been his to lose since the beginning of the season and he has not disappointed to be honest. Both have put up compelling cases but Marcus has been the front-runner pretty much the whole season.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.

BINGO, its been his to lose since the beginning of the season and he has not disappointed to be honest. Both have put up compelling cases but Marcus has been the front-runner pretty much the whole season.
That's just my point friends, y'all think he would throw those kind of numbers in the SEC? I don't...

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

That's just my point friends, y'all think he would throw those kind of numbers in the SEC? I don't...
SEC homer much? ;) You sound like my brother. I can't disagree but I know most of the writers and former Heisman winners who vote on this, don't have ties to the SEC or too Bama. It's up to them how they vote. Not much we can do about it.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

I'm fine with Mariota winning because his stats are insane and he protects the ball. His TD to turnover ratio is just ridiculous.

My main case for Coop is that he has faced 8 Defenses in the Top 60 for his stats and Mariota has faced ONE in the Top 70.

What would Mariota's stats be in the SEC? What would Cooper's be in the PAC-12?

I'm realistic though and know the best we can hope for is 2nd place.. But for a WR that's Elite company. Only Desmond, Tim Brown, and Fitzgerald have finished 2nd or higher as WR's.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
Because he is up against the best running back and quarterback in the country. Because with a few excepts only BAMA fans think he is the best player in the country. Because if you take AC away we just throw to White or Black or Stewart or Foster or.... There is no question he is the best receiver, but he is viewed as a very good player in a very good team filled with similarly very good players. Take away Mariotta and how many games does Oregon win?

Someone out there wanna explain to me why the best wide receiver in the country, that plays in the toughest conference in the nation, who leads just about all catagories is not the frontrunner for the Heisman trophy??...While Mariotta is good, I wonder how well he would play in the SEC where Defense is played and not just out there on the field..I feel like the media has a darling in Mariotta and he won the Heisman even before the season really began. I just feel like Coop is the best player in ALL of CFB and his track record this year shows it. JMO:mad2:

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.

SEC homer much? ;) You sound like my brother. I can't disagree but I know most of the writers and former Heisman winners who vote on this, don't have ties to the SEC or too Bama. It's up to them how they vote. Not much we can do about it.
SEC Homer,?...Well yeah!;)....I just don't think it's right when you compare conferences they play in and positions. And add to the fact that he's been the media darling all year long. That was their guy. Mariotta this, Mariotta that....

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Because he is up against the best running back and quarterback in the country. Because with a few excepts only BAMA fans think he is the best player in the country. Because if you take AC away we just throw to White or Black or Stewart or Foster or.... There is no question he is the best receiver, but he is viewed as a very good player in a very good team filled with similarly very good players. Take away Mariotta and how many games does Oregon win?
While I am a Bama fan , it's got nothing to do with that. My argument is with who is the best player. Yes, Coop is a great player on a team of very good players, and if that is so, and he does what he has done in THE SEC isn't that a more impressive feat? Heck, can you imagine what he woulda done in the PAC 12?

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

I understand what you're saying, there's unfortunately nothing to say that he would or wouldn't be able to. Several QBs in the SEC have came close to similar numbers in the last few years so it is possible. The argument for him is, he's done and in some case exceed what the people that are voting for the Heisman has expected him to do for this season in a legit Power 5 division.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Cooper is the best college WR that I have ever seen play the game - certainly as good as any who have come before him. If he won the award, no one in the country outside of the state of Oregon would be upset. But his not winning has a lot to do with the mindset of the voters. Why do QBs win the NFL MVP award every year? Why do regular position players win the MLB MVP awards every year? Because they have the greatest impact on the games - on every game.

QBs touch the ball on every offensive play. WRs - even ones as good as Cooper - touch the ball on less than 25% of the plays. Yes, Cooper also has influence on the other plays because the defense has to account for him, but that is not typical of even great WRs, so voters don't think of it that way.

So, instead of being upset for Cooper (who is going to be just fine without winning this award) try to be happy for Mariota, who by all accounts is a great person and a welcome change from the recent run of thugs winning the award.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
I have no issue with Mariota winning the Heisman, because it is a political football that is usually given to a QB, and sometimes a top running back. But, in my opinion Cooper will be the better pro player. In 5 years, Cooper might very well be the best pro player in this draft. JMHO

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.