Rick Neuheisel on Oregon and the Playoff scenario

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed
Re: Rick Neuheisal on Oregon and the Playoff scenario

One thing I've noticed about Blake & our offense this year..And the Missouri game is a perfect example of this..We came out in our HUNH style offense & crushed Missouri in our opening drive..And then the next few series we went back to our more conventional offense & went with the huddle style offense..And we sputtered on offense & it allowed Missouri to make the game closer than it should have been & it kinda made our offense look out of sync..If Coach Saban would allow our offense & Blake to stay in our HUNH style offense the entire game & get into a rhythm..I don't think any of the 4 teams in the play-off will stop our offense if Blake is allowed to stay in the HUNH offense..Cause Blake plays at his best in the HUNH & our offense just looks more dominant when we run it..As compared to going to our more conventional huddle offense..That's JMHO
It's interesting but also strange to see Bama go HUNH, even more so after Saban decried it last year. Kiffin has obviously had an impact in that department. It's interesting, but I'm not sure how well that approach would work against a team that faces it in just about every game every year. Of all the teams in the playoffs, Oregon has the most experience with Kiffin. Ground and pound seems a better bet.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

That statement may have been true in the past, but it's simply not true this year.

Oregon has played 4 teams (1 of them twice) who are in the top 50 of rushing offenses (5 games). FSU has played 3 in the top 50 (3 games). Ohio State has played 5 games. Alabama has played 5 games.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing
Please list the top 25 (or even 35) rushing teams Oregon played. There's only one.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

It's interesting but also strange to see Bama go HUNH, even more so after Saban decried it last year. Kiffin has obviously had an impact in that department. It's interesting, but I'm not sure how well that approach would work against a team that faces it in just about every game every year. Of all the teams in the playoffs, Oregon has the most experience with Kiffin. Ground and pound seems a better bet.
Saban knows that the fastest way in CFB for something to be eliminated, or regulated, is if Bama is kicking everyone's tail with it.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

You make a great point..Cause I don't think Oregon can stop our run game, "Ground n Pound" as you stated, but, I still think think Blake & our offense is at their best when we run out of the HUNH offense..It's strange seeing HUNH & Alabama together in one sentence..But..When we run the HUNH offesne with Blake running our offense..I think we're the most explosive in college football..

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Not that interesting coming from a UCLA/UW homer. Neuweasel is the bum that had the Huskies come out and dance on the "O" after their last victory over the ducks. That was 11 years ago. He's also a tool who hasn't done his homework.
Colin Cowherd said the exact same thing yesterday fwiw. That doesn't make him right, but you can't exactly dismiss him as a Husky Hack or whatever.

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed

You make a great point..Cause I don't think Oregon can stop our run game, "Ground n Pound" as you stated, but, I still think think Blake & our offense is at their best when we run out of the HUNH offense..It's strange seeing HUNH & Alabama together in one sentence..But..When we run the HUNH offesne with Blake running our offense..I think we're the most explosive in college football..
Alabama has been impressive with its new HUNH scheme, a scheme that seems well suited to the offensive personnel and plays to the strengths of your QB. Your team is dangerous in shoot outs, as demonstrated against Auburn. Speaks volumes to the quality of the coaching staff that you're competing for the championship with such a different look in only 1 year's time.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

You'd better go back and review the teams we play. We face the HUNH a lot more than you think, and and a lot more than Oregon face the other philosophy...

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed

You'd better go back and review the teams we play. We face the HUNH a lot more than you think, and and a lot more than Oregon face the other philosophy...
Auburn and Texas A & M come immediately to mind. I didn't mean to say that you don't face your share of HUNH teams, but rather that the HUNH style is something Oregon is very familiar with, both in using it and playing against it. If we matched up, I would use the ground and pound, eat the clock approach against us instead of getting into a shootout. Henry is huge and Yeldon is elusive. Both of those guys, along with your lines would give us trouble. Amari Cooper is great, but I think Ekpre-Olomu has what it takes to neutralize him. I'm less concerned about him and more concerned with your physicality and run game, using the 2013 Stanford blueprint.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Auburn and Texas A & M come immediately to mind. I didn't mean to say that you don't face your share of HUNH teams, but rather that the HUNH style is something Oregon is very familiar with, both in using it and playing against it. If we matched up, I would use the ground and pound, eat the clock approach against us instead of getting into a shootout. Henry is huge and Yeldon is elusive. Both of those guys, along with your lines would give us trouble. Amari Cooper is great, but I think Ekpre-Olomu has what it takes to neutralize him. I'm less concerned about him and more concerned with your physicality and run game, using the 2013 Stanford blueprint.
As is usual, we will utilize a mix of offensive schemes. As for "neutralizing" Cooper, that was really he accepting the Biletnikoff award this evening. You can slow him down, but you're not going to neutralize him with one defender, because it can't really be done, and, if you could, the other receivers will kill you. I guess we'll just have to play the game after all and see if your rosy prediction is true. Meanwhile, you have to get through FSU, a traditional offense team of the sort OU hasn't done well with at the championship level, and we have to get through OSU...

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006

As is usual, we will utilize a mix of offensive schemes. As for "neutralizing" Cooper, that was really he accepting the Biletnikoff award this evening. You can slow him down, but you're not going to neutralize him with one defender, because it can't really be done, and, if you could, the other receivers will kill you. I guess we'll just have to play the game after all and see if your rosy prediction is true. Meanwhile, you have to get through FSU, a traditional offense team of the sort OU hasn't done well with at the championship level, and we have to get through OSU...
Good thread and info, but I predict it will be a FSU vs Bama final.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

Not that interesting coming from a UCLA/UW homer. Neuweasel is the bum that had the Huskies come out and dance on the "O" after their last victory over the ducks. That was 11 years ago. He's also a tool who hasn't done his homework.

LT: Jake Fisher 6'6" 299 SR
LG: Hamani Stevens 6'3" 303 RS SR
C: Hroniss Grasu 6'3" 297 RS SR
RG: Cameron Hunt 6'4" 285 SO
RT: Tyrell Crosby 6'5" 290 FR
Average: 6'3.5" 294.8 lbs

FSU DL (taken from an FSU site)

Mario Edwards: 6'3" 294
Eddie Goldman: 6'4" 314
Derek Mitchell: 6'4" 292
DeMarcus Walker: 6'3" 273
Backups:
Derek Nnadi 6'2" 300
Chris Cashier 6'4" 243
Justin Shanks 6'2" 322

Doesn't seem that "outsized" to me.
Hes right when you factor in that Florida State's DLine will be the most athletic that Oregon has faced all season. Our DLine is even more athletic and deeper than Florida State's is.

When Oregon played LSU back in (2011?) at Jerry World, their DLine disrupted Oregon to the point where they almost couldn't function consistently. I understand that its two different Oregon teams, but that Oregon team that year LSU won 46-27 was extremely talented on offense and had speed on speed. I'd even go as far as to say that Oregon team had better weapons around the QB than this years Oregon team has. You guys had James, Barner and Thomas that year, good lord.

But anyway, the moral of the story is that every time Ive seen one of these Hurry-Up/Up-Tempo offenses face a elite athletic defense, they get slowed down enough to get beat.

You can say well "LSU played us in the first game of the season when our offense wasn't in rhythm yet and our players didn't have their legs" - You're going to be playing Florida State after almost a month layoff too.

Its honestly cause for concern. I wouldn't be 100% confident if I was an Oregon fan heading into this game with FSU. In fact, I'd be scared if I was an Oregon fan. Couple the layoff with the fact that FSU is going to be highly motivated and mad due to feeling disrespected, and I'd be one worried Duck fan.

I'm not attacking you here, so please don't take it that way. I just feel like people are sleeping on FSU and not giving them much of a chance in this game. They have won 29 games in a row and are the defending National Champion. They know how to win and they have major talent on their squad. In a one game scenario, which is against Oregon, FSU can absolutely win the game. Now will it play out that way? Who knows for certain, but taking FSU lightly is a fools errand.

When Jameis Winston gets hot, that FSU O is unstoppable. You just better hope Winston and that FSU O doesn't come out of the gate hot and Oregon can get a lead before it happens.

Last edited:

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

And yeah, no College CB is stopping Cooper 1 on 1 this year. Your defense will have to put help on him exposing you in other areas. Cooper has faced elite CB's 1 on 1 this year without help and torched them.

Amari Cooper would be starting for probably 90% of the teams in the NFL right now. He is a top 5 first round talent.

Also, the way we use Cooper makes it where defenses cannot really "key" on him consistently. We line him up EVERYWHERE. Out wide, in the slot, in the backfield and we send him in motion a ton too. Its a huge game of where is Waldo with Amari. At the end of a game you'll read the stat line and see Amari having 10-15 catches and you'll scratch your head and wonder "how"?

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I don't want to stay in the HUNH. I want 300 lb DLmen rotated in over and over wearing out and slowing down your OLmen. Power at some point will overwhelm speed and finess.

But, we both have another game to get through first....

All I'm saying is be careful what you wish for. It will be tough enough getting through FSU. Bama can beat you in so many ways it will keep you up at night. Rick N maybe a "homer" but theirs merit to what he's saying. I've only seen Oregon but someone one way, though it's highly effective. It's still though, one way.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

I just don't think we have to OL to do that. We are more of a finesse OL this year. Kiffin is calling plays based on what we can do as a team.
Ya I think we will open up with what appears to be one of many "passing games" Kiffin can come up w/based on what OS looks to give us. Then we mix in a few runs to test the soft spots. I have really enjoyed the "sweeps" that both TJ and Henry have run the last few weeks. Almost all of them have looked like they could go all the way and Henry has taken a couple to the house. By the 4th qtr, if things go according to plan, we will be running down hill.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL

I have my own issues with Newgambler & his mouth but he is still on Sirus radio not on any sidelines for a reason.

other than having 4,000 uni combinations what has Oregon ever done?

i really don't like Felony State University but they do know how to win championships, your game will not be easy at all. I'm just hoping we beat Ohio State & get either one of you in the championship game.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

Amari Cooper will not be shut down by one defender period! Bama has played against better defenses than either of the other three playoff teams defenses this year and no single defender has shut him down. I figure Oregon will defeat FSU but if it is a close game you got to believe FSU has a great chance.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

When the barn beat oregon in 2010 BCS game, everyone thought that they would run up and down the field on au. Not so much and au's d was not that good.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.