Rick Neuheisel on Oregon and the Playoff scenario

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I listen to a lot of CFB shows on Sirius and today on College Football Nation Neuheisal responded:

"The only way that Oregon can beat FSU, Alabama or Ohio State is that they will have to beat the superior defensive lines in the trenches." He said, they are out sized by "Huge/Athletic" D-Lines and it will be almost impossible to do that."

Thought that was interesting from a PAC-12 guy.

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed
Re: Rick Neuheisal on Oregon and the Playoff scenario

I listen to a lot of CFB shows on Sirius and today on College Football Nation Neuheisal responded:

"The only way that Oregon can beat FSU, Alabama or Ohio State is that they will have to beat the superior defensive lines in the trenches." He said, they are out sized by "Huge/Athletic" D-Lines and it will be almost impossible to do that."

Thought that was interesting from a PAC-12 guy.
Not that interesting coming from a UCLA/UW homer. Neuweasel is the bum that had the Huskies come out and dance on the "O" after their last victory over the ducks. That was 11 years ago. He's also a tool who hasn't done his homework.

LT: Jake Fisher 6'6" 299 SR
LG: Hamani Stevens 6'3" 303 RS SR
C: Hroniss Grasu 6'3" 297 RS SR
RG: Cameron Hunt 6'4" 285 SO
RT: Tyrell Crosby 6'5" 290 FR
Average: 6'3.5" 294.8 lbs

FSU DL (taken from an FSU site)

Mario Edwards: 6'3" 294
Eddie Goldman: 6'4" 314
Derek Mitchell: 6'4" 292
DeMarcus Walker: 6'3" 273
Backups:
Derek Nnadi 6'2" 300
Chris Cashier 6'4" 243
Justin Shanks 6'2" 322

Doesn't seem that "outsized" to me.

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

I think he could be correct!

Not that interesting coming from a UCLA/UW homer. Neuweasel is the bum that had the Huskies come out and dance on the "O" after their last victory over the ducks. That was 11 years ago.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

All it takes is one missed block or being blown off the line to disrupt the play.

Not that interesting coming from a UCLA/UW homer. Neuweasel is the bum that had the Huskies come out and dance on the "O" after their last victory over the ducks. That was 11 years ago. He's also a tool who hasn't done his homework.

LT: Jake Fisher 6'6" 299 SR
LG: Hamani Stevens 6'3" 303 RS SR
C: Hroniss Grasu 6'3" 297 RS SR
RG: Cameron Hunt 6'4" 285 SO
RT: Tyrell Crosby 6'5" 290 FR
Average: 6'3.5" 294.8 lbs

FSU DL (taken from an FSU site)

Mario Edwards: 6'3" 294
Eddie Goldman: 6'4" 314
Derek Mitchell: 6'4" 292
DeMarcus Walker: 6'3" 273
Backups:
Derek Nnadi 6'2" 300
Chris Cashier 6'4" 243
Justin Shanks 6'2" 322

Doesn't seem that "outsized" to me.

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed

The traditional ground and pound teams that we played didn't push Oregon around this year. In fact most of them had to resort to passing for most of the game because the run was shut down.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

The traditional ground and pound teams that we played didn't push Oregon around this year. In fact most of them had to resort to passing for most of the game because the run was shut down.

Oregon is 48th in the nation in rush defense.

Last edited:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

True but Oregon didn't play against SEC offensive/defensive lines this year.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Sure. But more importantly, where are the other 48 now, and where will they be Jan. 1st? Sitting at home (except for the other 3).
Sorry , I meant to quote your post. I was replying to how you said they shut down the run.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

Ohio State played in a weak conference. No really way to tell how good their defensive line is.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

Sure. But more importantly, where are the other 48 now, and where will they be Jan. 1st? Sitting at home (except for the other 3).
Oregon, by far, has faced the weakest rushing offenses of the top 4. Only one team in the top quartile of college football in rushing.

Oregon has not shown an ability to stop the run against good run teams on any sort of consistent basis.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

The issue is physicality at the point of attack. Oregon's DL is 48th in rushing D. In a league that doesn't emphasize the run. In fact, Oregon is the league's rushing leader at #20. The best rushing team Oregon's D had to play against was UCLA at #37. And it goes downhill from there.

So I think it's safe to say that Oregon's rushing D isn't that good when viewed on a national scale.

Whereas Alabama played against the #11, 18, 26, 27 and 41 rushing offenses, and STILL came out #2 statistically. Numbers 11 and 18 include Nick Marshall and Dak Prescott at QB. Mariotta's style, though admittedly not his proficiency. Still, both lost. #26 was Arkansas, with the biggest OL in football. # 27 was LSU.

There is simply no comparison here.

If the Ducks win the NC, they win it in a shootout. Which is exactly what they're built to do. They win against good teams in basketball scores. Please don't misunderstand: It's a valid philosophy, though I don't think it's the best one. And I actually admire Oregon's philosophical consistency. The Ducks know what they are, and don't try to be anything else.

My point is not that Oregon can't play. My point is that you can't have it both ways. You can't at the same time trumpet a physical D and, when you run into a good team, not only to play, but to be built to win a 45-44 type game. Now you're getting inconsistent with your philosophical base.

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed

Oregon, by far, has faced the weakest rushing offenses of the top 4. Only one team in the top quartile of college football in rushing.

Oregon has not shown an ability to stop the run against good run teams on any sort of consistent basis.
That statement may have been true in the past, but it's simply not true this year.

Oregon has played 4 teams (1 of them twice) who are in the top 50 of rushing offenses (5 games). FSU has played 3 in the top 50 (3 games). Ohio State has played 5 games. Alabama has played 5 games.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

FSU is the worst of the three teams (Alabama, OSU, and FSU) that the Ducks would face. If the Ducks win, can they come back that next week and face either Bama's or OSU's defense to take the title. It's gonna be a "tough row to hoe" for the Ducks.

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed

FSU is the worst of the three teams (Alabama, OSU, and FSU) that the Ducks would face. If the Ducks win, can they come back that next week and face either Bama's or OSU's defense to take the title. It's gonna be a "tough row to hoe" for the Ducks.
For sure. FSU alone is tough to deal with. Bama would be even more difficult. But I'm not even considering that possibility right now. FSU looms ahead and casts a long shadow.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

One thing I've noticed about Blake & our offense this year..And the Missouri game is a perfect example of this..We came out in our HUNH style offense & crushed Missouri in our opening drive..And then the next few series we went back to our more conventional offense & went with the huddle style offense..And we sputtered on offense & it allowed Missouri to make the game closer than it should have been & it kinda made our offense look out of sync..If Coach Saban would allow our offense & Blake to stay in our HUNH style offense the entire game & get into a rhythm..I don't think any of the 4 teams in the play-off will stop our offense if Blake is allowed to stay in the HUNH offense..Cause Blake plays at his best in the HUNH & our offense just looks more dominant when we run it..As compared to going to our more conventional huddle offense..That's JMHO

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms

Don't know if Oregon can beat the semiholes but will be pulling for them. I do worry about their ability to move the ball against fsu, but fsu has not been stellar on d.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.