Which 2015's will have immediate impact?

NCTide

Scout Team
Nov 30, 2014
With all the talent we have stockpiled the last couple 'cruitin classes, how many of these guys do you expect to make an impact as true Freshman? I expect Blake to battle with Coker for the starting job, and Calvin will play a role in filling some big shoes at WR.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
Forget about Cornwell and Bateman? Expecting a True Fresh to come in and take the job leaping 3 pretty dang players at QB is a tall task

NCTide

Scout Team
Nov 30, 2014
I like Bateman, but he wasn't even in the discussion between Sims and Coker. Blake is an exceptional talent. If he can make the transition, Cooper may fall by the wayside.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
How soon we get enamored with the newest, shiniest play-pretty.

It's not uncommon among lots of fanbases for the 2nd string QB to be the most popular guy on the team. What's uncommon about a lot of our crimson bretheren is that their favorite is often a guy not even on the team yet...the latest however-many star recruit.

Cooper Bateman and David Cornwell, both former favorites, now supplanted by the most recent can't-miss prospect, will have something to say about who the next QB is.

Let's let spring ball, off-season conditioning, and preseason camp, all play out before anointing a kid currently in high school as the next great field general.

Many of us, myself included, could have preserved some credibility 11 months ago by not wringing hands over the prospect of Blake Sims at QB.

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
It doesn't hurt to speculate does it? Gosh, some of you around here are so crusty. Assuming the ones that are verbally committed I'd say Ridley and Hale Hentges.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Bo Scarborough is technically in this class and if we win against Ohio State he will have 4 weeks this winter, 4 weeks this spring and all of fall camp. That's an unprecidented amount of practice for a guy to get up to speed as a true freshman.

As others have noted Ridley will have a shot because there is little to no experience returning.

Any safety will get a good shot at playing.

depending on what Ragland does there may be a good shot at Middle linebacker playing time.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Bo Scarborough is technically in this class and if we win against Ohio State he will have 4 weeks this winter, 4 weeks this spring and all of fall camp. That's an unprecidented amount of practice for a guy to get up to speed as a true freshman.

As others have noted Ridley will have a shot because there is little to no experience returning.

Any safety will get a good shot at playing.

depending on what Ragland does there may be a good shot at Middle linebacker playing time.
I think Bo will be a lock for some early playing time considering the practice time both now, spring and fall and the fact J. Fowler is done. Then when you take in to consideration he's so versatile he's the true definition of "athlete" that will surely see the field early as a true frosh.

If Ridley is being compared to Cooper that's pretty heady stuff and I know we lose a lot. But remember we also have Chris Black who was reportedly ahead of AC when they both were true freshmen before he got hurt and then there's the kid from PA that looked good in limited action this year and I know I'm leaving one or two guys out too. But we rotate alot of receivers so if Ridley gets the playbook and blocking assignments down I hope we see him!

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Let's start on a more fundamental level with the definition of "immediate impact," which I'll loosely define as receiving some meaningful snaps in crunch time of meaningful games.

Two further distinctions here: Early enrollees, and normal enrollees. As a general matter, it's going to be tough for even most of the early enrollees to have an immediate impact, and for the normal enrollees, it will be exceptionally difficult. It's very good news on our end, so not complaints at all, but there are just no glaring holes on the roster which will require a true freshman come in and be thrown into the fire like that, barring a bad rash or injuries.

Now... in terms of potential spots and specific players, safety and tailback are the most obvious spots. Offensive line is also a possibility. Wide receiver will also have a limited opening, but even that looks pretty tight. Scarbrough is certainly going to get time at tailback -- though arguably he's not really a 2015 signee -- but outside of him I think Harrison has a strong chance of early PT, as do Fitzpatrick and Ridley. I'd just about bet at least one of the OL signees makes it into the field and cracks the two-deep rotation, but it's too early to venture a guess on who that will be. Damien Harris would see some time at RB, I'm sure, if he were to sign with 'Bama.

For the most part, though, this isn't going to be a mass influx of freshmen getting serious time right away, barring the above-referenced unholy bout of injuries. That's not to criticize any of these guys, obviously, but there is a lot of talent returning on the roster with more experience, and those guys aren't going to roll over.

Will say this: All of you that think Barnett is coming in and winning the starting job, that's just not happening, folks. He might impress and the early enrollment will definitely help his cause moving forward, but he's not just going to blow by Coker, Bateman, and Cornwell. He probably won't have a viable shot at the starting job until 2016.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Will say this: All of you that think Barnett is coming in and winning the starting job, that's just not happening, folks. He might impress and the early enrollment will definitely help his cause moving forward, but he's not just going to blow by Coker, Bateman, and Cornwell. He probably won't have a viable shot at the starting job until 2016.
I agree. I think it is Coker's job next year with some game experience and the fact he has looked better and better as the season went on.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Should this be on other side, since we're talking about current players plus the recuits?

I think Coker will get the job, but expect stiff compeititions from Cornwell, bateman or Morris. barnett will redshirt. Need to gain weight anyway. We'll see two or three Qbs transferring in few weeks, or before spring camp.
RB: Expect Bo to get playing time, not only at RB, but at WR and HB and TE.
FB: See comment above on BO... and Look for Brandon Greene to be moved to FB or stay at TE.
OL- We should be okay there. We have real good players, that are little stronger and I think our running games will improve
WR- Beside Black and Stewart, a lock to have the job, Falkins, Ridley, Foster have to step up and grab final spot or get playing time.. I think its Foster with Ridley rotating in and out for those players. Ridley has to learn how to block.

DL- WE're okay.
LB- we're okay. Ragland should come back, and we'll have MIller, Evans, WIlliams... Evans and Williams got some experience and it will help them next year.
CB: Humprehey should be part of the rotation next year. We should be very good next year.
Safety- Now, This is something to keep eyes on.. we could see one of CB move to Safety.. or see a freshmen in that spot. I expect lot of experiement going on at WR, CB, TE and Safety.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Good catch! I forgot about him too! The way I look at it 230, If Sims is on field with those guys I mentioned, that means we'll see Foster transferring if Ridley works out well. Foster is the guy to keep eyes on.

JNM81 don't forget about Cam Sims at WR too. He has played some late in the season and I think that is telling us something.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
I agree. I think it is Coker's job next year with some game experience and the fact he has looked better and better as the season went on.
I would venture to say that Coker has a tremendous year next year. I would not be surprised if Coker grows into a great QB next year. I cannot wait to see what CLK can develope this young man into next year.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
It won't be as easy for Ridley to get on the field as it was for Cooper. Cooper didn't have Stewart, Foster, Falkins, Black, Sims, and Kief all ahead of him when he came in. Even so, it took an injury to D. White for him to make it on. If Ridley gets meaningful snaps as a freshman...wow is all I can say.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.