Link: Saban's pass defense explained...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
There are Pro's and Con's to both methods, however with a probable size limitation in the secondary I think the shuffle and jam is the better. Most of the receivers that beat us on those throws are taller than our DBs.

I find it interesting that Saban doesn't really teach his DB's to backpedal. Rather, he teaches a "shuffle" technique. It's much more difficult to react to shorter routes if you're backpedaling.

http://smartfootball.com/tag/defensive-back#sthash.DoyrMu9j.dpbs

This is why a lot of Saban's defensive backs seem to take longer adjusting once they get to the NFL. It's then that they must learn to backpedal. You can't stay in press technique consistently in the NFL against beasts like Dez Bryant or Calvin Johnson. If you miss the jam at the LOS, it's over. Espcially with the caliber of quarterbacks throwing the football.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
There are Pro's and Con's to both methods, however with a probable size limitation in the secondary I think the shuffle and jam is the better. Most of the receivers that beat us on those throws are taller than our DBs.
Very good point, and the when DBs are locked up tight on receivers, they can't give those guys a free release, they have to be physical. I think the size is the reason EJ is playing even without the lateral agility. Dude is a beast, I hope the layoff helps him and all the nicked up players.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
bamas D has been pretty darn good this year. everybody talks about our corners like they cant cover an 8th grader... it kind of upsets me. Mizzou was a product of losing contain... not bad corners. Auburn was Eddie Jackson having an inexplicably, uncharacteristically bad game. WVU was against a biletnikoff finalist. our corners arent bad. Yeah maybe we dont have a top 15 pick at corner like normal, but in no way are they bad. all of our secondary individually would get a starting slot, or at least heavy playing rotation at any school in the country.

IIRC the idea of playing defense is to keep people from scoring, and even including giving up 44 to auburn bama is number 4 in scoring D, and is 2nd in TD's allowed. we're fine. we've always been fine. we will continue to be fine.
Kevin white will make NFL DBs look bad one day!

I am watching the watching the Bama/Texas. NCG right now. The offense and defense we play now has morphed. They don't even look the same. A lot more speed on this years defense, although almost every starter on that defense played in the league.

Last edited:

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
just my opinion, but, the last two years have seen our secondary worked over pretty good. I agree that its the deep ball lack of support by the safeties some of the time, and the limit of our linebackers to drop in their zone to help. it really hurts when I do see double coverage on a pass and the receiver will out hustle, improve his position and get the ball. we have short corners and they rarely see the ball coming. they are face guarding and not looking for the ball. I can remember several years ago coach saban harping to our defense not to allow the big play on defense. that is so critical, well, now that is a common trait of our secondary. several big plays, some good stops in the short game. I am hoping brown, Humphrey will correct the corner weakness, and we have a couple of big potential safeties next year. qbs are getting better, and bigger receivers is creating a problem for each team.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
A lot of times coaches have to set there schemes or techniques on offense and defense based on many different attributes of the players that they have or lack. Only a stubborn fool would try to fit square pegs in round holes like many fans want you to do. You can't always get the "big back", the QB with the "strong arm" or the 7 ft. Center in Basketball, we should consider ourselves lucky with the excellent job of recruiting the Univ. is able to do.

Very good point, and the when DBs are locked up tight on receivers, they can't give those guys a free release, they have to be physical. I think the size is the reason EJ is playing even without the lateral agility. Dude is a beast, I hope the layoff helps him and all the nicked up players.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
just my opinion, but, the last two years have seen our secondary worked over pretty good. I agree that its the deep ball lack of support by the safeties some of the time, and the limit of our linebackers to drop in their zone to help. it really hurts when I do see double coverage on a pass and the receiver will out hustle, improve his position and get the ball. we have short corners and they rarely see the ball coming. they are face guarding and not looking for the ball. I can remember several years ago coach saban harping to our defense not to allow the big play on defense. that is so critical, well, now that is a common trait of our secondary. several big plays, some good stops in the short game. I am hoping brown, Humphrey will correct the corner weakness, and we have a couple of big potential safeties next year. qbs are getting better, and bigger receivers is creating a problem for each team.
Most of the time, it's the run pass conflict. Nick's defense is predicated, like most , on reading your keys. When you read run and the team is throwing , it's that half second indecision that will get you burned. Also, add the fact that teams are going fast which gives less time for pre snap reads helps the offense as well. Trying to balance a complex defense, disguising it presnap, and getting a good in play result is tough . The young DBs and the athletic gifts will help, but they have to digest a lot , and be good enough to react instinctively instead of thinking.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.