Oklahoma High school sues over bad call.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
It was only a matter of time before this happened. The scary part is with the qty of money now in College sports, it will happen in College sooner rather than later.

I agree with B1GTide.....this is a PERFECT time for the coach of the fortunate team to teach his kids a life lesson on integrity.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
In my view, officiating is much like the soundtrack of a movie. It should help the main event along but not be noticed in its own right. (CA, you might disagree).

(snippage)

This official should not officiate again, and certainly not officiate a state semi-final playoff game, at least not until he has demonstrated mastery of the rule book.
Agree 100%

Don't tell me , you are in favor of participation trophies��. I get what you are saying. Winning should be important, but how you achieved victory is important also.
Participation trophies are for losers, and yah, win with honor. Sports should teach kids about life, and sometimes life isn't fair. This school is completely failing at recognizing why HS sports exist.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
This is ridiculous, the game is over. Bad calls happen. It sucks, but this is part of sports.
Exactly. We don't want to go there. Nothing we can do about bad calls except punish the refs in some form afterwards by putting them on probation or in extreme cases, firing them for consistent bad calls.

pyro

Suspended
Nov 9, 2004
Winchester TN
How many games has Bama legitimately lost due to bad calls? More than one. It sucks but it is what it is. Case in point - it's never even crossed my mind to sue because of the outcome of a Bama game.

Instead of teaching these kids that sometimes life isn't fair so buck-up and deal with it, the school is instead teaching them that when you think something is unfair you sue.
Sometimes people do deserve to be sued. I think this is to much though.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
The thing about this, IMHO, that keeps getting left out is that no one disputes the call. Only the implementation of the penalty. And in the moment, during the game, no one--not the refs, not the coaches--no one knew how to correctly implement the penalty. The ref in question has been refereeing locally for 16 years for no reason other than he enjoys doing it and, so far as I have read here in OKC, does not have any history of note with previous controversial calls. The referee feels terrible and has said he'll likely give up refereeing games over this.

What also gets left out is that after the game the losing teams (Douglas HS) coach was shouting obscenities, fans started a small brawl, and the scene turned into general mayhem. I don't have a dog in this fight but it seemed to me like Douglas did little to help their own cause with their actions.

As I told my wife, Once upon a time a coach would have used this unfortunate error to illustrate that difficult, unfair things happen to us all in life and how you handle yourself and the situation is a building block of character. Opportunity missed, IMHO.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Next step is to have each call from the side line reviewed by the law department. I can hear it now:

"Coach, don't run the crossing pattern, that may unnecessarily expose the receiver to a higher chance of injury."

"We advise against a fake punt, that can be seen as deceptive practice."

"We noticed that a select minority of players get to pass and catch the ball. There seems to be a bias against the players of above average mass."

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
This strikes me as a case of "little man syndrome." The ref was upset because a coach did not "respect mah authoritay," and threw the flag, and then misinterpreted the rule to substantially changed the course of the game.
In my view, officiating is much like the soundtrack of a movie. It should help the main event along but not be noticed in its own right. (CA, you might disagree).
If I notice the soundtrack of a film, it is more frequently because it detracted from the film. If I notice the officiating of a game, it is probably because the refs screwed something up.

This official should not officiate again, and certainly not officiate a state semi-final playoff game, at least not until he has demonstrated mastery of the rule book.
"Little man syndrome"? Either your blue font isn't working, or you have an incredible amount of detailed info on this incident. Exactly how tall IS the ref? Where did he get that accent?

Remember, assumption is the mother of... Well, it's the mother of SOMETHING...

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Pitiful and embarrassing for the kids. Unfair happens to everyone eventually. Sometimes you can't control the action but you can control the reaction. These kids didn't learn that this time around so they will get to repeat it at some point.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
"Little man syndrome"? Either your blue font isn't working, or you have an incredible amount of detailed info on this incident. Exactly how tall IS the ref? Where did he get that accent?

Remember, assumption is the mother of... Well, it's the mother of SOMETHING...
You're missing the point, dude. The ref's height doesn't matter.
In the heat of the moment of watching his team apparently score the winning touchdown, a coach encroached on the official's personal space so the ref changed the outcome of the game to punish the coach.
I'd call that being rather, what's the word? Small.

As for the accent, perhaps you are not familiar with this mocking photo of the Great Leader in Pyongyang. It's popular on the interwebs and with college students.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
The Corey Webster no call haunts me to this day. That was terrible!
I got over it when Nick Saban was hired at Bama. When Wayne Huizenga hired him away from LSU his record stood at 9-2 with that win over Bama. Had that call been made there is an excellent chance that his record would have been 8-3 with a loss to Bama. Would he have been as attractive to Huizenga if that had been the case? Me thinks not. A win over Bama is huge anytime. if he had not gone to Miami, he would still be at LSU. If he was still at LSU, he would not be at Bama. Case closed, play and game forgotten.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.