Oklahoma High school sues over bad call.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not enough information for me to decide whether or not I support the school in this. But, if an official takes away a TD and everyone agrees that they were mistaken in doing so, then why not replay the game, or the last quarter? No fanfare - just put the teams on the field for 12 minutes and let them decide the game.

If this were the regular season, who cares - but officials should be held accountable for their mistakes, not the kids.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Not enough information for me to decide whether or not I support the school in this.
Here's an article and a video about the blown call.

http://deadspin.com/oklahoma-high-school-cant-get-courts-to-unbone-refs-pla-1669887838

If you skip to the 33-second mark in the video above, you'll see Frederick A. Douglass High School of Oklahoma City scoring a 58-yard catch-and-run touchdown with a minute and four seconds remaining in the Class 3A quarterfinal game against Locust Grove High School on November 28. The score would have put Douglas up 25-20, pending the extra point—but the Douglas coach got too close to the sideline and impeded the referee. That's supposed to be a five-yard penalty on the extra point or kickoff, but the refs instead called back the touchdown. Locust Grove held on to win 20-19.
Sounds like the ref screwed up royally. I can't believe none of the other refs corrected his application of the rule. The appeal has been denied and the results will stand. It really stinks for the kids.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Oh my gosh, I hope they do not give LSU any ideas. They will halt the entire CFB season with injunctions from weekly perceived bad calls .

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Integrity would suggest that the team that won because of the bad consider offering to forfeit their win and let the other team play in their stead in the next round of the playoffs. That will never happen.

You see someone drop a $100 bill. You pick it up. It is now yours. What you do next determines your character.

ETA - This stuff should not be handled in court, but why is it okay to act without integrity in sports?

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Integrity would suggest that the team that won because of the bad consider offering to forfeit their win and let the other team play in their stead in the next round of the playoffs. That will never happen.

You see someone drop a $100 bill. You pick it up. It is now yours. What you do next determines your character.
I get where you're coming from, but how do you know that the other team wouldn't have run the ensuing kickoff back for a touchdown? If the call had stood, there's no way to know that the team that was penalized would have won. There's no practical "just" resolution to this. The kids on the team that lost got hosed. Life's like that sometimes.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Would you be as calm if Penn Wagers made that call against us?
How many games has Bama legitimately lost due to bad calls? More than one. It sucks but it is what it is. Case in point - it's never even crossed my mind to sue because of the outcome of a Bama game.

Instead of teaching these kids that sometimes life isn't fair so buck-up and deal with it, the school is instead teaching them that when you think something is unfair you sue.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

ETA - This stuff should not be handled in court, but why is it okay to act without integrity in sports?

the problem with that is how do you know that a missed call or a bad call earlier in the game didn't decide the outcome? There may have been a play in the second quarter that would have changed the complexion of the game. You just don't know. Most fanbases have had a terrible call cost a game. Human error is part of the game with all three teams.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I get where you're coming from, but how do you know that the other team wouldn't have run the ensuing kickoff back for a touchdown? If the call had stood, there's no way to know that the team that was penalized would have won. There's no practical "just" resolution to this. The kids on the team that lost got hosed. Life's like that sometimes.
Yeah, but you make the call. Even if you don't offer to forfeit, you make the call and go public with the fact that you do not like that you won that way. You work with the other school to try and get the end of the game replayed instead of making them go out ther on their own. Threaten to forfeit the next game if the governing body doesn't let you replay the end of the game. Do something.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Agreed. It's why I cannot tolerate most sports now - soccer and basketball are prime examples - as it's ONLY about winning. The lessons that sports are supposed to teach us are lost on so many people because winning is all that matters.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Trying to correct a blown call in a high school game by bringing in a pack of lawyers seems like a backwards move. I'm trying to imagine the courtroom scene...will the cheerleaders be in there to cheer any favorable rulings by the judge?

"Ra Ra, Sis boom ba
Your objection is overruled
La De Da!"

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
This strikes me as a case of "little man syndrome." The ref was upset because a coach did not "respect mah authoritay," and threw the flag, and then misinterpreted the rule to substantially changed the course of the game.
In my view, officiating is much like the soundtrack of a movie. It should help the main event along but not be noticed in its own right. (CA, you might disagree).
If I notice the soundtrack of a film, it is more frequently because it detracted from the film. If I notice the officiating of a game, it is probably because the refs screwed something up.

This official should not officiate again, and certainly not officiate a state semi-final playoff game, at least not until he has demonstrated mastery of the rule book.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Agreed. It's why I cannot tolerate most sports now - soccer and basketball are prime examples - as it's ONLY about winning. The lessons that sports are supposed to teach us are lost on so many people because winning is all that matters.
Don't tell me , you are in favor of participation trophies��. I get what you are saying. Winning should be important, but how you achieved victory is important also.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.