Pre and Post Saban - Individual Award tallies

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
In the years prior to Nick Saban coming to Alabama, we had 6 players win individual awards (please note, though, that a lot of these awards did not exist prior to the 80s and 90s, so the great teams of the 70s, 60s and prior would have not had nearly as many chances.)

Since Saban has come on board, Alabama has accumulated 11 individual player awards (and one assistant coach award). This includes our very first:
Heisman trophy winner
Biletnikoff trophy winner
Maxwell award winner
Rimington trophy winner
Campbell trophy winner
Doak Walker award winner

Info can be found here:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/awards/_/team/333

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Actually, we are not in the post Saban era yet, but I get what you mean. When you recruit great players and coach'em up. Some are bound to stand out.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I try everyday to forget the Dark Years...A lot of people not just coaches did a lot of damage to the University.

But we got Dr Whitt, Coach Moore who put things right

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Thing about it is that neither Saban nor Coach Bryant emphasize individual awards nor do they campaign for them. Both just regard(ed) them as that which follows from doing your job...

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Today 5 years ago Mark Ingram became Alabama's first Heisman winner.

I remember that night so well. We didn't know for sure if he was going to win it, as it was a very close race. I remember being so happy and crying for him. He was the perfect "first winner" for us.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Today 5 years ago Mark Ingram became Alabama's first Heisman winner.
I still remember that the Auburn fans publicized that pic as proof positive our players were being paid, because there was no way he could afford that suit, so it must have come from Tom's downtown. There's just so far you can stoop, and then the next level down is Auburn's. Elephants never forget... ;)

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I still remember that the Auburn fans publicized that pic as proof positive our players were being paid, because there was no way he could afford that suit, so it must have come from Tom's downtown. There's just so far you can stoop, and then the next level down is Auburn's. Elephants never forget... ;)
Haha yeah and how was $Scam able to afford his again???

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.