Question: What's some of the craziest weather you have seen.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
A few years ago (2010 maybe?) we got snow on Christmas. It was the first ever white Christmas that I have seen and will probably see for a long time. It was like 2-3 inches of snow too not just a dusting.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
April 27th 2011. Many had lived though the tornado outbreaks in the 70s (can't remember the exact year), but this was my first experience with one. While I never saw a tornado, I saw the aftermath of several that affected my company. The feeling in the air all day was very strange.

February 12-14, 2014. It snowed in north Alabama and my wife was very near her due date for the birth of our son. I wasn't able to make it to work on the 12th, but went ahead and came in late on the 13th. I was at work for less than an hour when my wife called and said you better get home now. We made it to the hospital that evening, and our first born son arrived shortly after 5 am on Valentines Day.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Idk the blizzard of what 94? That was freak weather. And like above that tornado outbreak a few years ago was both amazing and terrifying.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Hurricane Fredric in 79 in Mobile.

I don't know if you want to call it crazy, but watching pine trees snap and wondering if any were going to fall on your house was nerve racking...and being without power for two weeks in Sept wasn't "pleasant."

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Tornado Outbreak of 1974.

Hurricanes Elena and Ike, TS Allison.

Actually, the craziest weather related thing I ever saw was the Houston evacuation in 2005 ahead of Rita - which didn't hit Houston.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Hurricane Fredric in 79 in Mobile.

I don't know if you want to call it crazy, but watching pine trees snap and wondering if any were going to fall on your house was nerve racking...and being without power for two weeks in Sept wasn't "pleasant."
I was in college in Hattiesburg when that came through. At Southern Miss, there were 100 year old trees down all over the campus. The place was wrecked and we had one hell of a party.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
2009 - Georgia (and I imagine much of the south) had what has been described as a "500 year rain". For two solid weeks it rained. The ground became so saturated that nothing soaked in. Water simply rolled over the surface of the ground. Creeks, rivers and lakes overflowed, causing all manner of water damage.

I had just paid a significant amount of money to have my backyard completely re-landscaped (including new sod). The rain hit before I could get any plants installed, which would have either helped prevent erosion or would have been more money down the drain - literally.

Here's a video, near the start of the second week of rain. Enjoy!

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
I have been through several extreme weather experiences. Lived in Myrtle Beach during hurricane David, was in a tornado while attending a circus at three age of three (don't remember much about it), several blizzards when I lived near Lake Tahoe and moved back to Hueytown in 2011 the week of the Big Tornado. It went a half of a mile from the house that I grew up in.
The Reno/Tahoe area had the most extreme in terms of rapidly changing weather. When I first moved there, I was told that no matter what month or how hot is was during the day, always keep a coat with me. That it can snow any month of the year. I remember on July 11th it was 101 degrees and two days later it was snowing. Days where I worked outside in my t-shirt and then it snowed that night.
The most miserable weather experience was when we had an A-6 fully loaded with high explosives crash in the Sierra Nevadas. Had to stand a 12 hour watch on the side of a mountain with one other person in 17 below temps. Longest 12 hours of my life.

Last edited:

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
2009 - Georgia (and I imagine much of the south) had what has been described as a "500 year rain". For two solid weeks it rained. The ground became so saturated that nothing soaked in. Water simply rolled over the surface of the ground. Creeks, rivers and lakes overflowed, causing all manner of water damage.

I had just paid a significant amount of money to have my backyard completely re-landscaped (including new sod). The rain hit before I could get any plants installed, which would have either helped prevent erosion or would have been more money down the drain - literally.

Here's a video, near the start of the second week of rain. Enjoy!

I left that one out. I lived on the side of a small mountain so the rain did not flood my house but I could not get to my Firehouse Subs restaurant that I owned in Hiram. One of my fellow franchisees in Woodstock, his restaurant had about three feet of water in it. I believe it took him 6 months to reopen.

Timberline Tide

All-American
Jun 9, 2010
Colorado
My last day in Colorado (6 June 1998) is snowed. Hard. That was weird.
That's not usual for us; the best comment on this I've heard came from a waitress in a coffee shop to a group of tourist asking about snow. She said "well it can snow as late as July or as early as August". I've been snowed on in each month of the year here - of course some of those were at 13-14,000' elevation.

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I would say the snow we had here in central Alabama earlier this year. It shut down everything. Took us a couple hours to go get our kids from school and come home. We don't live that far away, but the traffic and cars sliding caused huge delays.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
April 27th 2011. Many had lived though the tornado outbreaks in the 70s (can't remember the exact year), but this was my first experience with one. While I never saw a tornado, I saw the aftermath of several that affected my company. The feeling in the air all day was very strange.

February 12-14, 2014. It snowed in north Alabama and my wife was very near her due date for the birth of our son. I wasn't able to make it to work on the 12th, but went ahead and came in late on the 13th. I was at work for less than an hour when my wife called and said you better get home now. We made it to the hospital that evening, and our first born son arrived shortly after 5 am on Valentines Day.

We had that happen to us in 2011 with snow and me being due that week. I went for an appt downtown and it took me all of 4 hours for us to get home. (We live like 25-30 mins away) Then the next week I went in for my induction early in the morning. It was snowing and no one was on the road...but I was determined to go in and get my baby out. Lol

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
We had that happen to us in 2011 with snow and me being due that week. I went for an appt downtown and it took me all of 4 hours for us to get home. (We live like 25-30 mins away) Then the next week I went in for my induction early in the morning. It was snowing and no one was on the road...but I was determined to go in and get my baby out. Lol
I should have added that we'd just been assured by her doc that there was no way she was going into labor and that she'd make it just fine to her due date (the 19th). She had a c-section. I've heard old wives tales about how weather/full moons/etc. would cause women to go into labor. I was just thankful that by that afternoon the roads were pretty clear.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Without doubt, the snowstorm that hit Birmingham in March of 1993.

14 - 18 inches of snow fell in about 15 hours, starting around 3PM and lasting until 6 or so the next morning. Mrs. Basket Case and I sat in a sunroom watching it come down between all kinds of thunder and lightning flashes. About midnight, the unmistakable sound of limbs and even whole pine trees snapping started adding to the show.

Yes, lightning and thunder-snow in Birmingham, Alabama in mid-March.

Even though I couldn't stop worrying when one of those pines was going to hit the house (we were incredibly fortunate that that never happened), it was an awesomely beautiful spectacle.

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I should have added that we'd just been assured by her doc that there was no way she was going into labor and that she'd make it just fine to her due date (the 19th). She had a c-section. I've heard old wives tales about how weather/full moons/etc. would cause women to go into labor. I was just thankful that by that afternoon the roads were pretty clear.

Wow, glad you got there in time then. I never went into labor, but I was very uncomfortable and ready for my induction. So I wasn't letting snow stop me. I was afraid it would get worse to where it would be difficult to drive to the hospital.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Without doubt, the snowstorm that hit Birmingham in March of 1993.

14 - 18 inches of snow fell in about 15 hours, starting around 3PM and lasting until 6 or so the next morning. Mrs. Basket Case and I sat in a sunroom watching it come down between all kinds of thunder and lightning flashes. About midnight, the unmistakable sound of limbs and even whole pine trees snapping started adding to the show.

Yes, lightning and thunder-snow in Birmingham, Alabama in mid-March.

Even though I couldn't stop worrying when one of those pines was going to hit the house (we were incredibly fortunate that that never happened), it was an awesomely beautiful spectacle.

my family didn't move here till 1996, but I still hear stories about that storm from my husband and his famiy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.