The Bear would be proud...

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Re: Bear would be proud

He was not above taking commercial advantage of it, but he detested it privately. All of his close friends called him "Paul." All others called him "Coach Bryant." He jacked up a reporter once at an interview, who was stupid enough to address him familiarly as "Bear," by saying "It's 'Coach Bryant' to you."
I would have loved to have seen that.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I imagine so after what happened to the reporter. I wish coach Saban would put some of them in line sometimes. I guess times are a little different now though.
Actually, the reporter incident happened later. In my case, I was just too much in awe of him. Many times, I'd look up from studying at Druid City Drugs, and he'd be sitting alone at one of the tables, just smoking and studying me. He obviously had some curiosity about me. Many times, I almost went over to see if he wanted to talk. I'd give anything to be able to go back and change that decision. The worst he could have said was that he wasn't interested. That would have been crushing, of course, but it wouldn't have been as bad as a lifetime of regretting it. Billy Neighbors had exactly one conversation with him in four years. When he was a rising sophomore, he called Billy in and gave him a target weight for the fall. Billy made it and never talked to him again while at Bama. I asked him why not and he said that he was scared of him. Later on, they became close friends...

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

Actually, the reporter incident happened later. In my case, I was just too much in awe of him. Many times, I'd look up from studying at Druid City Drugs, and he'd be sitting alone at one of the tables, just smoking and studying me. He obviously had some curiosity about me. Many times, I almost went over to see if he wanted to talk. I'd give anything to be able to go back and change that decision. The worst he could have said was that he wasn't interested. That would have been crushing, of course, but it wouldn't have been as bad as a lifetime of regretting it. Billy Neighbors had exactly one conversation with him in four years. When he was a rising sophomore, he called Billy in and gave him a target weight for the fall. Billy made it and never talked to him again while at Bama. I asked him why not and he said that he was scared of him. Later on, they became close friends...
That is a cool story. I have met a few "stars" over the years and sometimes I would speak to them and others I would just acknowledge them with a hello or something light. I have always been under the impression that I would bother them if I spoke to them and I sure didn't won't to do that because it seems like they get that a lot.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.