Ohio State fans really playing up their underdog role and lack of respect

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County

Ohio State fan writes:

ESPN southeast regional broadcasts (Paul Finebaum show) are slamming us good. Even the majority of our local (Memphis area) radio guys are mostly killing us. The call-in crowd pretty much thinks we're a joke.
The consensus is that we did not deserve to get-in over TCU/Baylor and that we only made it because of insider money and politics. One dude on Finebaum's show went as far to say that we would have been a 10-point dog to TCU or Baylor. They are saying the BIG absolutely stinks (as we are an underdog in every bowl game) except for TOSU. While some trying to be gracious acknowledging us as a "good team", they all say that we haven't played anyone worth a crap. They see this is a pretty easy game for Alabama. About half are are saying blow out, and the other half see Alabama pretty much controlling the game start to finish, probably winning by 10-14 points. If we didn't have Meyer as coach, I would say 99% would be calling for a blow-out.
This is really ....ing me off. I hope Meyer and the other BIG coaches are getting some of this stuff recorded, and making the staff and players listen to it. It's great motivation to know just how disrespected we are here in Dixie.
I realize there is a bubble around Columbus, but I'm sick of hearing this stuff having lived almost 20 years in Florida and now more than 5 here. Believe me when I say the Gator crowd never thought for one second we stood a chance leading up to January 2007. Unfortunately, they were proven right. What an opportunity we have some 8 years late in getting a shot at atonement against Alabama, the big dog of the SEC.
http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Board/121/Contents/Sports-talk-radio-in-the-south-33780153

Mr._Krabs

Suspended
Nov 10, 2014
Ridicules! Go to any Ohio State forum and Bama (and the south in general) is just as disrespected. This self riotous underdog business is tiresome.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
If he is from the Memphis area and experiencing this kind of treatment, I'm not surprised. I was living there in the late 80's,
when the Liberty Bowl selected tOSU to play the Air Force Academy. The response from the OSU players was far less than enthusiastic. It was downright disrespectful. In a way, I could understand their disappointment in not making a 'Major Bowl', but the disappointment was made clearly evident by the team. Much to the delight and amusement of the City of Memphis, the Air Force won that game. I guess tOSU's heart just wasn't in it. Much like Bama's wasn't against OK this past January.

Roll Tide!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If you spend any time in Columbus you quickly learn that everyone here panders to OSU football. It is an industry here, and you are expected to get on board. This means that OSU fans hear how great OSU is pretty much every day of their lives. When a fan hears something less than positive about OSU, they typically write it off as an outlier. But when games like this come along, you look for outside opinions, hoping to hear voices that mirror your opinion that OSU is a great team and can/will win this game. You are surprised at the beginning when you hear so little that reflects those thoughts, then surprise turns to anger as you realize that pretty much everyone has already written you off. Then you turn your radio back on and hear how Alabama has no chance in this game.

As the person who wrote that stated, Columbus exists in a media bubble. This is what happens to fans who accept what they hear in that bubble as truth instead of seeking out the truth wherever/whatever it might be.

ETA - Writing off an OSU team with this much talent would be foolish, but I know that Saban has not. I try to ignore the homers on both sides. We know that this is going to be a tough game. The winner will almost certainly win the championship this year.

Last edited:

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
If you spend any time in Columbus you quickly learn that everyone here panders to OSU football. It is an industry here, and you are expected to get on board. This means that OSU fans hear how great OSU is pretty much every day of their lives. When a fan hears something less than positive about OSU, they typically write it off as an outlier. But when games like this come along, you look for outside opinions, hoping to hear voices that mirror your opinion that OSU is a great team and can/will win this game. You are surprised at the beginning when you hear so little that reflects those thoughts, then surprise turns to anger as you realize that pretty much everyone has already written you off. Then you turn your radio back on and hear how Alabama has no chance in this game.

As the person who wrote that stated, Columbus exists in a media bubble. This is what happens to fans who accept what they hear in that bubble as truth instead of seeking out the truth wherever/whatever it might be.

ETA - Writing off an OSU team with this much talent would be foolish, but I know that Saban has not. I try to ignore the homers on both sides. We know that this is going to be a tough game. The winner will almost certainly win the championship this year.
I've always appreciated your opinions B1GTide...you support your team but it isn't without understanding the facts. I know Bama has dominated in these Championship games in the last several years but I am cautious about this year. Yes, Bama plays in the best division of the best conference in college football but that doesn't mean it's a given that will happen this year. I think you have correctly stated that OSU thinks a little too highly of itself and that could be to a fault. For some reason I feel this game could be closer than it might appear on the surface. My gut tells me Bama wins. Thanks again for the classy posts!

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I don't like Ohio State but I do respect them, to win like they have with 3 QB 's is amazing.
i don't respect Meyer, he's a phony in my book.

But I like our chances in this game our coaches will have the boys ready to play

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
Been living here in Memphis for 10 years and one of the things I really like about it (besides the best barbecue:) is the diversity of the sports fan bases here in college football. We have folks here from everywhere and they support their teams. Our beloved Crimson Tide is well represented here, but so is Ohio St., Oregon, FSU, Boise, you name it! It's kind of funny that I ran into someone who was a fan of every team Bama played this year; even Florida Atlantic and Western Carolina. That doesn't happen everywhere.

I haven't heard the disrespect of the Buckeyes around here. Local sports guys are mostly talking about the Memphis Grizzlies and the great NBA season they are having and the Memphis Tigers winning their conference in FOOTBALL. The has been stuff about the CFP teams, but not a whole lot. Mostly just stating the obvious and sometimes bringing up the TCU/Baylor thing And the fact that everyone else played a championship game. No real bashing of OSU. More analysis will probably come this week and next. The whole controversy died down after a day or so.

People hear what they want to hear, I guess.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Been living here in Memphis for 10 years and one of the things I really like about it (besides the best barbecue:) is the diversity of the sports fan bases here in college football. We have folks here from everywhere and they support their teams. Our beloved Crimson Tide is well represented here, but so is Ohio St., Oregon, FSU, Boise, you name it! It's kind of funny that I ran into someone who was a fan of every team Bama played this year; even Florida Atlantic and Western Carolina. That doesn't happen everywhere.

I haven't heard the disrespect of the Buckeyes around here. Local sports guys are mostly talking about the Memphis Grizzlies and the great NBA season they are having and the Memphis Tigers winning their conference in FOOTBALL. The has been stuff about the CFP teams, but not a whole lot. Mostly just stating the obvious and sometimes bringing up the TCU/Baylor thing And the fact that everyone else played a championship game. No real bashing of OSU. More analysis will probably come this week and next. The whole controversy died down after a day or so.

People hear what they want to hear, I guess.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide
It happens here all the time. They're called barners!:biggrin2:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
If you spend any time in Columbus you quickly learn that everyone here panders to OSU football. It is an industry here, and you are expected to get on board. This means that OSU fans hear how great OSU is pretty much every day of their lives.
I am not sure this is peculiar to Buckeye fans. A couple of years ago (2011, I think), an Ole Miss fan came to 'Sip in the gym and asked him if he thought Bama had a chance against Ole Miss in Oxford. Bama eked out the win, 52-7.

Like Vegas, I expect Bama to win, but it would not surprise me at all to see the Buckeyes win. Talented team. Effective coach.

Last edited:

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County

Very good insight

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Ridicules! Go to any Ohio State forum and Bama (and the south in general) is just as disrespected. This self riotous underdog business is tiresome.
True, but I don't think this in itself has ever won a team a game. Not even us beating Miami. Talent + Coaching + Execution + Perserverance wins games. On another note, Is "disrespect" really a verb?

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

Ohio State fan writes:

ESPN southeast regional broadcasts (Paul Finebaum show) are slamming us good. Even the majority of our local (Memphis area) radio guys are mostly killing us. The call-in crowd pretty much thinks we're a joke.
The consensus is that we did not deserve to get-in over TCU/Baylor and that we only made it because of insider money and politics. One dude on Finebaum's show went as far to say that we would have been a 10-point dog to TCU or Baylor. They are saying the BIG absolutely stinks (as we are an underdog in every bowl game) except for TOSU. While some trying to be gracious acknowledging us as a "good team", they all say that we haven't played anyone worth a crap. They see this is a pretty easy game for Alabama. About half are are saying blow out, and the other half see Alabama pretty much controlling the game start to finish, probably winning by 10-14 points. If we didn't have Meyer as coach, I would say 99% would be calling for a blow-out.
This is really ....ing me off. I hope Meyer and the other BIG coaches are getting some of this stuff recorded, and making the staff and players listen to it. It's great motivation to know just how disrespected we are here in Dixie.
I realize there is a bubble around Columbus, but I'm sick of hearing this stuff having lived almost 20 years in Florida and now more than 5 here. Believe me when I say the Gator crowd never thought for one second we stood a chance leading up to January 2007. Unfortunately, they were proven right. What an opportunity we have some 8 years late in getting a shot at atonement against Alabama, the big dog of the SEC.
http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Board/121/Contents/Sports-talk-radio-in-the-south-33780153
This is silly. All four teams who are in deserve to be there. Yes, you can make the case that Baylor deserves it as well but bottom line, the four teams that are in are there for a reason.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Check this out from Ohio State fan--they are ready to anoint Urban all time greatest coach with a win.

Saban is overrated as a winning coach in my opinion.
Meyer has an 80+ win pct
Saban has a winning pct in the 70s
To add to my argument, Meyer was winning before he was "it". He's the one who started the spread frenzy in modern college football. If not for Meyer having tremendous success at the little schools with his spread offense, we'd probably be seeing a lot more of the i-formation today. Meyer has been a winner because of his X and Os. Meyer is truly a great football coach.
As for Saban, he's had the same philosophy since his Michigan State days.. which were pretty darn mediocre. It wasn't until he was able to pull in consecutive #1 classes that he really started taking over the college football world. I think he's the best recruiter out there, but I don't think he's the greatest football mind. He's had by the most to work with... and yet he's still struggled mightily to beat the spread. http://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-football/2014/12/46323/urban-meyer-greatest-coach-ever

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Check this out from Ohio State fan--they are ready to anoint Urban all time greatest coach with a win.

Saban is overrated as a winning coach in my opinion.
Meyer has an 80+ win pct
Saban has a winning pct in the 70s
To add to my argument, Meyer was winning before he was "it". He's the one who started the spread frenzy in modern college football. If not for Meyer having tremendous success at the little schools with his spread offense, we'd probably be seeing a lot more of the i-formation today. Meyer has been a winner because of his X and Os. Meyer is truly a great football coach.
As for Saban, he's had the same philosophy since his Michigan State days.. which were pretty darn mediocre. It wasn't until he was able to pull in consecutive #1 classes that he really started taking over the college football world. I think he's the best recruiter out there, but I don't think he's the greatest football mind. He's had by the most to work with... and yet he's still struggled mightily to beat the spread. http://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-football/2014/12/46323/urban-meyer-greatest-coach-ever
He lost credibility in his first sentence.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
If any team should feel disrespected, its Florida State, not Ohio State. The game has to be played on the field. No amount of feeling "disrespected" will help once the ball is kicked off.

So when we kick Ohio State's tail, I wonder if their fans will feel disrespected over that too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.