Dismissed UGA / JUCO DL Jonathan Taylor Enrolls at Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I got arrested once on a domestic (I didn't hit anyone) but I was still charged and went to jail. I was given a 2nd chance and got it wiped from my record by doing so after I was given what I had to do. See no reason why he can't as long as he lives up to the stipulations.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't like what he was accused of doing and it bothers me a little bit. Since I don't know the details or the individual, I find it hard to outright condemn him.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I'm all for giving people a second chance. Why does the University of Alabama feel the need to be the place to give him that chance? It seems as though we are saying if we don't do this, this kid is doomed. I'm sorry but I can't support this.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I told a barner friend today we can't say a word to them now. I hope this works out for all involved but I am certainly not crazy about us signing him. That being said I trust our staff, and playing for Saban may be what is best for this kid.All things happen for a reason and I am not going to make a judgement on something until this runs its course.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I'm not a fan of this decision.

And from a football perspective, how much impact will a 340 pound NG have in today's game ?

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
They were ragging on Saban on sports radio here in Chattanooga today, 1/7. I'm quite sure Saban did his due diligence before allowing Taylor to enroll. I bet Taylor will be on a very short leash. I don't know Taylor and have only read a little about him which is certainly no enough info to make a judgment on whether he should or should not be enrolled.

The same could be said for allowing Pettway back. By all accounts he has been a model citizen this year and Coach Saban made it possible by allowing him back. Whether he ends up in the pros or not, Pettway will certainly have an opportunity to get his degree and live a full and productive life as a result of Saban's judgment in giving him a second chance.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
One way or another, he's bama now. May want to limit the negative posts on a current alabama student and athlete. Welcome and rtr
I don't think its negative on him personally in that there's some concern that the coaching staff is giving what seem to be felons second chances. I think Alabama fans have held the school in higher regard, but with these kids on the team, is Bama much better than FSU or Miami? We used to laugh at Richt for his approach to dealing with trouble makers. Now, he's taking a hard line and booting them and we're scooping them up.

Who's next, Collins half brother who was booted from FL?

The questions that have arisen from the best I can tell are more concerned with the school's reputation & identity. Hard to say I blame them.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
seem to be felons second chances
I don't know it all when it comes to the law but who is to say this wont be pleaded down? If it is, he wont be no felon. Who knows?

Who's next, Collins half brother who was booted from FL?
Who knows how Willis was treated in Gainesville. He could have been singled out to the coaching staff letting the kids run wild and causing this kind of thing. I don't think he has a record, so why not go after a top rated DE? If Coach thinks it is ok then why not? I admit I was against bringing D.J. Pettway back but that whole ordeal proved Coach knows what he is doing and D.J. proved why kids should get a 2nd chance.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I don't know it all when it comes to the law but who is to say this wont be pleaded down? If it is, he wont be no felon. Who knows?

Who knows how Willis was treated in Gainesville. He could have been singled out to the coaching staff letting the kids run wild and causing this kind of thing. I don't think he has a record, so why not go after a top rated DE? If Coach thinks it is ok then why not? I admit I was against bringing D.J. Pettway back but that whole ordeal proved Coach knows what he is doing and D.J. proved why kids should get a 2nd chance.
These "second chances" that Coach Saban is engaging in are potentially high risk endeavors. Some will work out, some probably won`t. Because some won`t, is that a reason not to do it? I don`t necessarily think so. Obviously, we`re all certainly entitled to our opinions. I, for one will defer to Coach, his staff, and the University to make these judgment calls. As others have stated, however, as a fan base we can no longer point our fingers at others and take a "holier than thou" posture in matters such as these.

TideGrad07

Nov 8, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
This may be far fetched I know, but is there anyway Saban is trying to shore up one last National Championship run by bringing him in? I trust Saban completely in his decision making but this does seem risky. I agree with others who have stated they just dont care too much for what he is accused to have done.
Be that as it may, I feel like Saban more than ever wants one more championship under his belt before moving on to whatever it is he has planned. Roll Tide

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
One way or another, he's bama now. May want to limit the negative posts on a current alabama student and athlete. Welcome and rtr
I hear what you're saying, but the color of a person's uniform doesn't change the ethics of a situation. This kind of mentality -- blind support for the team, or at least tacit silence -- is what allows FSU fans to cheer for Jameis, PSU fans to support JoePa, Auburn fans to overlook the rotten things in their program, etc.

As fans, we hold coaches to a high standard when it comes to on-the-field play. That is a good thing, because that pressure encourages UA to hire the best coaches possible. Shouldn't we also hold the staff and players to reasonable ethical standards? It's not just a matter of fairness ... it's also a matter of preserving the image and reputation of the Alabama program. In the long run, such criticism is healthy.

tl,dr: dissent is patriotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.