Dismissed UGA / JUCO DL Jonathan Taylor Enrolls at Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I'm disgusted that we signed this kids. We've joked about other schools doing this for years and now we are stooping to their level and it makes me sick. Guess the jokes have to stop today because we are no better now. This kids already got his second chance and it is called junior college, why is not called a second chance by most until another D1 school signs him? All year the media raved about how stacked our DL is so why is this even needed? I just don't like it, gives me a sick feeling in my stomach.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Everyone has their opinons... and it is what it is, but I'm quite disturbed by this post... The way you looked at this is kinda messed up. He got kicked out of school at Georgia.. A junior college gave him a chance, and he made most of it. he demostrated that he learned from his mistakes and he's continuing to make better decisions. Everything he did at Junior college that was required of him, he did it. That alone created unique opportunities from another schools and including Bama. Bama did their homework and placed stipuulations on his admission, to ensure that he is on the right track with his education, and his behavior off the field. So he got another chance at a major school... and yet you are sitting here having a sick feeling? Would you rather him to be in street continuing that bad behavior.. or go to a school where they can actually help him on and off the field? There is lot of things wrong iwth your post, and it's uncomfortable to hear someone saying that

I'm disgusted that we signed this kids. We've joked about other schools doing this for years and now we are stooping to their level and it makes me sick. Guess the jokes have to stop today because we are no better now. This kids already got his second chance and it is called junior college, why is not called a second chance by most until another D1 school signs him? All year the media raved about how stacked our DL is so why is this even needed? I just don't like it, gives me a sick feeling in my stomach.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Like I said .. anyone can dislike my post, but sometime we gotta learn not to judge a person...... It's in the past.. He's a young man and he has a great opportunity to contribute to society in few years... I know how Taylor feels at the moment, and you don't know what a person feels until you've been in a similar situation like his... real talk.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Like I said .. anyone can dislike my post, but sometime we gotta learn not to judge a person...... It's in the past.. He's a young man and he has a great opportunity to contribute to society in few years... I know how Taylor feels at the moment, and you don't know what a person feels until you've been in a similar situation like his... real talk.
1) It's not in the past. He still faces two separate sets of criminal charges in the state of Georgia. These have not been adjudicated yet. CNS accepting him into the program does not change this.

2)Interesting theory you've got there... one is not allowed to form an opinion or judge someone unless they've been in a similar situation. So, tell me, have you ever stood on charges of felony domestic violence?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I hear what you're saying, but the color of a person's uniform doesn't change the ethics of a situation. This kind of mentality -- blind support for the team, or at least tacit silence -- is what allows FSU fans to cheer for Jameis, PSU fans to support JoePa, Auburn fans to overlook the rotten things in their program, etc.

As fans, we hold coaches to a high standard when it comes to on-the-field play. That is a good thing, because that pressure encourages UA to hire the best coaches possible. Shouldn't we also hold the staff and players to reasonable ethical standards? It's not just a matter of fairness ... it's also a matter of preserving the image and reputation of the Alabama program. In the long run, such criticism is healthy.

tl,dr: dissent is patriotic.
I dig what you are saying and well put. I just do not think this coach is doing anything unethical here. He is giving the guy another chance based on the information that he has (which is much more than any of us). If there is one coach more committed to "preserving the image and reputation of the Alabama program" who is alive today I don't know him. My take on this is trust the coach and see where this goes. The lesson here for Bama fans that do this is not to mock and cast stones at other programs with a "holier than thou" attitude.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm not going to talk about my experience and what I've dealt with in the past.. I've had to face some serious situation and i was able to overcome that..and now I'm in a good place where I have great career and all. Like I said anyone can have opinon and what not, I'm just stating how I felt....

1) It's not in the past. He still faces two separate sets of criminal charges in the state of Georgia. These have not been adjudicated yet. CNS accepting him into the program does not change this.

2)Interesting theory you've got there... one is not allowed to form an opinion or judge someone unless they've been in a similar situation. So, tell me, have you ever stood on charges of felony domestic violence?

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
I am for giving anyone a second chance, especially young men and women. rather it be in sports or life. I have done so many times, and yes, I have been disappointed a few times, but, that is not my problem. that is the individual you are helping. coach saban ran this by the athletic director and he concurred. I expect mr. taylor to save his future, just like mr. Pettway. are we so concerned about being able to criticize the georgias, fla states, auburns or to help young people improve and be good citizens. can we not send him packing if he messes up again. the attorney expects a misdemeanor downgrade. oh, by the way one of the biggest problems all year, and the same in the playoff game was the qb rush up the gut, we were defenseless. we went to the dime defense, and left only two linebackers in to cover the perimeter, especially the middle was open on delays.

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
If our coaching staff and AD have vetted this young man well I am ok with the decision to give him a second chance. I'm sure he is on a very short leash because of his past. Pettway was given a second chance and so far so good. Perhaps we should continue to trust the instincts of this coaching staff and athletic department until they give us reason to not trust their judgment. This might very well blow up in their face but until it does lets give these folks the benefit of the doubt.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Everyone has their opinons... and it is what it is, but I'm quite disturbed by this post... The way you looked at this is kinda messed up. He got kicked out of school at Georgia.. A junior college gave him a chance, and he made most of it. he demostrated that he learned from his mistakes and he's continuing to make better decisions. Everything he did at Junior college that was required of him, he did it. That alone created unique opportunities from another schools and including Bama. Bama did their homework and placed stipuulations on his admission, to ensure that he is on the right track with his education, and his behavior off the field. So he got another chance at a major school... and yet you are sitting here having a sick feeling? Would you rather him to be in street continuing that bad behavior.. or go to a school where they can actually help him on and off the field? There is lot of things wrong iwth your post, and it's uncomfortable to hear someone saying that
Or he could finish school at the junior college that gave him a second chance, earn his degree and join society. What's wrong with that, why does he have to get a shot at D1 football again? All I have is an associates degree and I now have an IT job that I can support my family with, nothing wrong with life after junior college. I might feel differently if all the charges were resolved but, he could still end up in jail. I just don't think it is worth it, recruiting players who are still facing felony charges just doesn't sit well with me.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Everyone get a second chances no matter what.... He proved it at JR Collegel level so he deserve another chance at D1 level. I don't understand why you guys are hung on this issue... You guys are acting like he deserves to go underground and never be heard of again... I really doubt he'll go to jail. his lawyer made a statement that it is expected to be misdismenor.. and He'll be fine.. Unversity wouldnt admit him, if the charges would stick... Trust in the school, and the process it has. You really need to let this go.. You're not the one on the field with the other guys... You're not the one who hangs with him in dorm or in classroom... I"m all about giving him second chances and hope he'll make the best of it.. This thread is getting ridculous.... There are three threads going on .. one on here, and one on Football thread.. and there are some levelheaded people over there... I'm done commenting on this post.. this is stupid.. ... What JT did was wrong, but he owed up to it, he make best of his situation, He's doing what he's being asked to do at JR college and now at Alabama.. what more do you want out of him? He's doing everything they are asking and ya'll need to chill out and leave that man be. Hes young... let him be and in a year, you guys will be eating crows... I'm done with this conversation. Be easy guys!
Or he could finish school at the junior college that gave him a second chance, earn his degree and join society. What's wrong with that, why does he have to get a shot at D1 football again? All I have is an associates degree and I now have an IT job that I can support my family with, nothing wrong with life after junior college. I might feel differently if all the charges were resolved but, he could still end up in jail. I just don't think it is worth it, recruiting players who are still facing felony charges just doesn't sit well with me.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Everyone get a second chances no matter what.... He proved it at JR Collegel level so he deserve another chance at D1 level.
Help me out because I'm confused. So, the 2nd chance he got at Georgia by being able to remain on the team and enter into a court intervention program after he basically committed fraud against his school by double cashing meal reimbursements wasn't really a 2nd chance. His 2nd chance at redeeming himself only kicks in after he was kicked out of Georgia and recharged on the first offense because he (allegedly) beat his girlfriend?

Also, I would expect nothing less of a defense attorney to shine the best light and put the best spin for the client. If she said "ohh he's definitely going to face trial on the felony charge and stands a good chance of being convicted", I'd recommend he find another attorney. It should be noted the prosecutor has made no such statements that this will occur, it may but we really don't know. Regardless, the fact still stands he currently has 2 separate criminal charges pending against him. He's not "owned up" to anything yet. The statements from Bill Battle and Deborah Lane on their "vetting" process doesn't change that.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I hate to think this way but just think about the options if this kid graduates with no issues.

I recruit will look at a flash in the pan coach like Malzahn who says he will be there for you, and he sees a coach like Coach Saban saying the same thing in their recruiting pitch. The kid finds out that Saban is real big on 2nd chances so he knows if he happens to screw up he knows he has a chance to correct himself. Hard but fair means a lot to some kids. Some these days are so scared of walking straight they end up running with the wrong crowd to act out. Things like this will make kids believe in you even more.

Look at the kids Coach Saban has given a 2nd chance to, Mushin Muhammed is one who was given a 2nd chance and shined in the NFL along with starting a foundation to help others because he was helped. That's just one I can think of off hand and now it seems D.J. Pettway is flying straight too and who is to say he doesn't end up in the NFL and doing similar things?

Honestly the kid getting this chance could help him more than any jail or state charges can do, he knows there is much more at stake now. Sometimes kids don't realize the chances they are getting or the chance they blew. Lord knows I was one of them myself. I blew my chance at college because I was hard headed and lazy. Went to work straight out of school and now I'd say I have a good job so I was lucky. Others aren't and I was probably seconds from being one of those. Even then I was stupid enough to get a domestic charge, was naive enough to plead guilty in front of the judge (which I was I'll admit) but the judge refused to take the plea and instead offered me anger management which I think changed my life. The things I learned there helped me even more in life. It was a laid back type of deal and we had fun but we also got serious as well when we needed to be and the teachers will still help me today if I contacted them or showed up to one of the classes. That kind of stuff is why we have 2nd chances in this country and I'm glad of that because I would have never been allowed to carry a weapon or own a hunting license if that charge had held up on my record. I spent my 12 hours in County and missed one AM class due to vacation and haven't been in trouble since and I don't plan on being in trouble either. That is how you get a productive society. If we give up to easily some people will never change then we sure enough have nothing but thugs running around this country.

We are too quick to judge these days and I admit I'm guilty of it too. We just need to realize that Coach knows what he is doing and I seriously doubt he would take a kid that is too "high risk" these days to tarnish the school and himself. Something that kid has done has proved to Coach that he has learned from this, that is the thing we must remember.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I was one of them too.. so I definitely agree with you. They don't get it... We've been in this situation.. or in a situation where we could've ended up somewhere...
I hate to think this way but just think about the options if this kid graduates with no issues.

I recruit will look at a flash in the pan coach like Malzahn who says he will be there for you, and he sees a coach like Coach Saban saying the same thing in their recruiting pitch. The kid finds out that Saban is real big on 2nd chances so he knows if he happens to screw up he knows he has a chance to correct himself. Hard but fair means a lot to some kids. Some these days are so scared of walking straight they end up running with the wrong crowd to act out. Things like this will make kids believe in you even more.

Look at the kids Coach Saban has given a 2nd chance to, Mushin Muhammed is one who was given a 2nd chance and shined in the NFL along with starting a foundation to help others because he was helped. That's just one I can think of off hand and now it seems D.J. Pettway is flying straight too and who is to say he doesn't end up in the NFL and doing similar things?

Honestly the kid getting this chance could help him more than any jail or state charges can do, he knows there is much more at stake now. Sometimes kids don't realize the chances they are getting or the chance they blew. Lord knows I was one of them myself. I blew my chance at college because I was hard headed and lazy. Went to work straight out of school and now I'd say I have a good job so I was lucky. Others aren't and I was probably seconds from being one of those. Even then I was stupid enough to get a domestic charge, was naive enough to plead guilty in front of the judge (which I was I'll admit) but the judge refused to take the plea and instead offered me anger management which I think changed my life. The things I learned there helped me even more in life. It was a laid back type of deal and we had fun but we also got serious as well when we needed to be and the teachers will still help me today if I contacted them or showed up to one of the classes. That kind of stuff is why we have 2nd chances in this country and I'm glad of that because I would have never been allowed to carry a weapon or own a hunting license if that charge had held up on my record. I spent my 12 hours in County and missed one AM class due to vacation and haven't been in trouble since and I don't plan on being in trouble either. That is how you get a productive society. If we give up to easily some people will never change then we sure enough have nothing but thugs running around this country.

We are too quick to judge these days and I admit I'm guilty of it too. We just need to realize that Coach knows what he is doing and I seriously doubt he would take a kid that is too "high risk" these days to tarnish the school and himself. Something that kid has done has proved to Coach that he has learned from this, that is the thing we must remember.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Help me out because I'm confused. So, the 2nd chance he got at Georgia by being able to remain on the team and enter into a court intervention program after he basically committed fraud against his school by double cashing meal reimbursements wasn't really a 2nd chance. His 2nd chance at redeeming himself only kicks in after he was kicked out of Georgia and recharged on the first offense because he (allegedly) beat his girlfriend?

Also, I would expect nothing less of a defense attorney to shine the best light and put the best spin for the client. If she said "ohh he's definitely going to face trial on the felony charge and stands a good chance of being convicted", I'd recommend he find another attorney. It should be noted the prosecutor has made no such statements that this will occur, it may but we really don't know. Regardless, the fact still stands he currently has 2 separate criminal charges pending against him. He's not "owned up" to anything yet. The statements from Bill Battle and Deborah Lane on their "vetting" process doesn't change that.
The meal reimbursement crap doesn't label him a trouble maker IMHO because who knows what the others on the team were telling him, most could have been telling him that all the players did it and it was no big deal. A kid naive enough, just starting college, could easily be coerced into something like that.

As for the domestic charge yes there is no excuse for that. No man should hit a woman period. My charge was not from hitting but still warranted the charge. As for his felony charge if the judge sees the kid is doing well at Bama and JUCO, is still attending AM classes (like Bama said he must do to stay here) and is helping a women's shelter then chances are the judge will lower this down from a felony so the kid can get it off his record. It just depends on the type of judge he will face. That or part of his plea is to keep the charge on his record but lose the felony charge which is what he wants anyway. This is not a done deal either way.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
The meal reimbursement crap doesn't label him a trouble maker IMHO because who knows what the others on the team were telling him, most could have been telling him that all the players did it and it was no big deal. A kid naive enough, just starting college, could easily be coerced into something like that.
Dude, this happened less than a year ago (March) and he was a redshirt sophomore at the time. He wasn't some wet behind the ears freshman in fall camp.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Dude, this happened less than a year ago (March) and he was a redshirt sophomore at the time. He wasn't some wet behind the ears freshman in fall camp.
I didn't say he was a Freshman. Yes I used "just starting college" in that sentence and shouldn't have. Even still, redshirt sophomore is still a youngster and it still doesn't change my opinion. Something like that is minor and doesn't make someone a troublemaker or a thug.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Sorry, I didn't realize that second chances weren't valid unless it included playing football at a D1 program. Some of you are acting like if he never got a chance to play D1 football again then he really wouldn't have gotten a second chance. I'm saying he already had a second chance and no need to give him a 3rd at Bama. Football is not the "be all", "end all" of life. He can get his degree at Jr. college and go on with his life like so many of us regular folks do in this country.

No matter how many times you tell me people deserve chance after chance and Bama is doing a great thing, it will never change my opinion on the matter. I don't like that we just recruited a kid that is still facing felony charges. This is the type of stuff that we have made fun of Auburn doing for years but, now we are all suppose to be okay with it because it was Saban this time? Sorry, I love Saban but, I disagree with this move.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.