So Muschamp is in. Realistic expectations?

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
I think if Auburn were a normal-tempo team offensively I might be more concerned, because CWM can coach defense. Defense was never UF's problem - it was an anemic offense that couldn't move the ball against a high school team. But I think Gus's HUNH will eat Muschamp's D alive, especially against opposing offenses that can control the clock and methodically move the ball down the field. I look for future Barn teams to jump out to big early-game leads, just to melt away in the second half, kind of opposite of what they've done in recent years.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Auburn simply lacks talent on defense. That was their whole issue this past season. They lack pass rushers and their defense seems slow too. So until they recruit play makers on that side of the ball, they'll continue to struggle.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I could not disagree more. I think you'll see vast improvement on the barn D next Sept. They HAVE the talent, Ellis Johnson is washed up and was just a joke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think everyone's point is that Auburn moves real fast, and it's not enough for Muschamp to build his defense and make it better... He could probably adjust and defend tempo offenses... He is very similar to CNS/Smart, so we know the defense will be lot better, but the question is, will it be effective against LSU, Alabama, Miss state and Ole miss?
I could not disagree more. I think you'll see vast improvement on the barn D next Sept. They HAVE the talent, Ellis Johnson is washed up and was just a joke.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
It's a great hire for them, period. IMO their recruiting will improve, their scheme will be more sound, and this only makes Auburn tougher.

Muschamp will, however, have to practice primarily against a HUNH team, albeit they do run the ball. How does that translate into stopping pro style, power run teams?

There are a few on here not being real with themselves. It's a good hire and makes auburn better. A little better or a lot - remains to be seen.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
The fact that their offense will be so much different next year I can't decide if it will hurt or help.
Johnson is a supposedly a much better passer than NM but is not near the threat as a runner and has less experience. They lose a lot of experienced starters and maybe Duke and/or Coates.

If the defense has to win games for them next year, they may be in a bind.

If they go 9-3 or 8-4 next year, who gets the ax?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Ok where is this defensive talent you speak of on their current team, and do you think muschamp will beat saban and smart at recruiting. Mushchamp might be a good defensive mind but it takes more than a mind to right a ship that set sail in the wrong direction 8 years ago with only 1 and a half months to recruit for next years team.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Ok where is this defensive talent you speak of on their current team, and do you think muschamp will beat saban and smart at recruiting. Mushchamp might be a good defensive mind but it takes more than a mind to right a ship that set sail in the wrong direction 8 years ago with only 1 and a half months to recruit for next years team.
They have talent all over the place just like we do. Do you not follow recruiting? No I don't think they will beat Saban in every battle on the recruiting trail, but they don't have to, all they have to do is have a top ten class on a consistent basis and they will continue to do very well.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Let's see.....Muschamp beat Saban in 2007, barely, when Saban was basically playing with Shula's recruits (and right after a bunch got tossed in Textbookgate).

We torched his run defense - his nation-leading run defense - in the 2009 title game against Texas.

We put 31 points on his defense in 2011 when we blew out Florida.

We put 42 on his defense this past year.

Yeah, we really oughta be shaking in our boots right now. In the last three games against us, he's given up 30, 31, and 42. At the current rate, we'll score 48 points on Auburn's defense next November, which is not much of an improvement over the 55 this year.

I guess I just don't really care.

And who uses the phrase "realistic expectations" when talking about Auburn?

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
The potential exists for AU to have a top 10 defense however, as others have said, it will take Gus being willing to slow things down a little bit. I am not sure he will do that and most likely see an improvement but, not to the point Muschamp and Gus will survive more than 1 season. I look for Muschamp to improve the D enough to parlay it into an NFL DC job or a HC at a lower level power 5 conference.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
For all of the people saying how Ellis Johnson is terrible and washed up, he fielded very good defenses at USCe until 2011. 291 YPG in 2008, 300.7 YPG in 2009, 354 YPG in 2010, and 267.7 YPG in 2011. Those are several top 10 defenses, and 2011 was ranked #3.

I guess he forgot how to coach when he came to AU.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Here is a problem for Auburn no matter who is DC: When Motorcycle Bobby was fired at Arky I remember reading reports that on more than one occasion he did not even put the D on the practice field the last couple of days of practice BECAUSE he wanted the O well-tuned. Now, recruits know this, that the HUNH has priority and that will keep some of them away. Bottom line is Gus Bus will get the O recruits but Gus Mus will not get the D recruits.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
That's all well & good Barners, I'd be happy about this hire as well, but, I still think ole Gus will still recruit more heavily for his offense & as compared to their D side of the ball & they won't have quality depth on the D side of the ball..While they will land a handful of descent D players, Gus recruiting more heavily for his offense, will leave the depth on the D side of the ball less than desirable & as good as Muschamp is as DC, in the SEC, when you have depth problems on the D side of the ball & you have to rely of transfers of even walk-on's for depth, the SEC offenses, will eat up any SEC D, whose depth isn't as deep as less say Bama's or even Ole Miss or Miss St..

The SEC gauntlet will eat up a teams with a weak D depth alive..And when even Muschamp can't field a D that can survive the SEC gauntlet year in & year out..Guess who the Gus Bus will throw, well, under the Gus Bus..Yup..Gus will throw Muschamp under the Gus Buss in hopes once again trying to save his job..But..I don't think "The Powers That Be" in Lee County, will only give, Gus so many chances before throwing Gus himself under the Gus Bus..JMHO
Been hearing alot from the Barners about how they've found "the missing link" and how they are gonna own Bama and on and on and on. Muschamp is no doubt a great defensive coach but can you imagine some of the comments they would have been making if he were to take an open position on our staff? I like what CNS told him regarding his decision. It started, good luck.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I posted this in another thread, but I just don't think Gus and Will can work together. I think they clash from day one over the fact that Gus does not believe defense is really necessary. Muschump will become angry because his players are tiring out so quickly. For this to work, one of them will have to change, and I just don't think their massive egos will allow that to happen.
I don't know if their egos will clash, but their styles of football will. I think it is very hard to have a hurry up and score offense that often keeps your defense on the field longer and at the same time have a shutdown defense.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I don't know if their egos will clash, but their styles of football will. I think it is very hard to have a hurry up and score offense that often keeps your defense on the field longer and at the same time have a shutdown defense.
I agree, and I don't believe it matters who the DC is with a HUNH offense. People forget how well AU's defense played in the first half of the season. They wore down as the season went by. I honestly believe that it happened with our defense some down the stretch this year as well, because our offense ran mostly no huddle all year.

Unless Gus plans to slow it down some, I don't see Muschamp being a huge upgrade. I do believe he will help them in recruiting, but they have had a lot of talent on defense for years now and it hasn't mattered.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
What has Muschamp ever done to get so many big dollar contracts and notoriety? I know he was the DC on a couple of high profile teams that had good defenses but I just don't get the love for him. He was at UF plenty long enough to recruit and develop players to have an elite defense. He failed miserably at it..

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.