So Muschamp is in. Realistic expectations?

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
The only exception to the HUNH teams having crappy defenses is Ole Miss, and to be honest they slowed down a little bit this year. I'm not sure how this is going to work out, but scheme only does so much. The Jimmy's and Joe's are more important than the X's and O's, and the Barn doesn't have the bodies on defense. CWM may change that, but it will not be overnight. He will need 3 years to put a great defense on the field, and will he even be there that long? Scheme change will affect this years defense early, and Gus's pace will affect them late. The turnover on offense will hamper them a little at least early. They all better worry about their jobs. Another 8-4 with an Iron Bowl loss and Gus will be on the hot seat. CNS has retooled and the Barn has to answer or they will all be gone.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Let's see.....Muschamp beat Saban in 2007, barely, when Saban was basically playing with Shula's recruits (and right after a bunch got tossed in Textbookgate).

We torched his run defense - his nation-leading run defense - in the 2009 title game against Texas.

We put 31 points on his defense in 2011 when we blew out Florida.

We put 42 on his defense this past year.

Yeah, we really oughta be shaking in our boots right now. In the last three games against us, he's given up 30, 31, and 42. At the current rate, we'll score 48 points on Auburn's defense next November, which is not much of an improvement over the 55 this year.

I guess I just don't really care.

And who uses the phrase "realistic expectations" when talking about Auburn?

Oh yes ! How did Muskrat get such a Rep as a Great DC, Texicans were The Colt McCoys.
other than working under CNS really what has he done. I'm glad they got him & think we put at least 48 on them in the next IB. He is a physco, hello Jim Levitt

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Been hearing alot from the barners about how they've found "the missing link" and how they are gonna own Bama and on and on and on. Muschamp is no doubt a great defensive coach but can you imagine some of the comments they would have been making if he were to take an open position on our staff? I like what CNS told him regarding his decision. It started, good luck.
Every year they come up with a new reason they're gonna "OWN" Bama. As said above S.N.A.S.S.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
As far as recruiting goes, I hope he's a total failure. After ignoring some recruits the weekend he was fired, I have no respect for him at all. He knows how they operate at the barn. I would gue$$ he had a good reason to go. Hi$ recruiting should be $olid.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
What has Muschamp ever done to get so many big dollar contracts and notoriety? I know he was the DC on a couple of high profile teams that had good defenses but I just don't get the love for him. He was at UF plenty long enough to recruit and develop players to have an elite defense. He failed miserably at it..
You know what else is funny?

He inherited Gene Chizik's job (and players) at Auburn who had gone unbeaten in 2004 and then goes to Texas with guys who had been freshmen on Chizik's unbeaten Texas team in 2005.

It could be argued that Chizik has been a major contributor to Muschamp's reputation, his LSU title notwithstanding. I repeat - GENE CHIZIK has been a contributor to Muschamp. And now it's about to happen again. Sort of.

And unlike Muss, Gene actually won a title as a head coach. Sure it was bought and paid for but when you offset the fact its easier to recruit at UF than at Auburn.....

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In two years, when Muschamp has been fired he will realize what a bad career move this was. South Carolina would have been a much better choice.
That was my exact thought and maybe he'd have been ready to take over when SoS heads to Ole Playboys home.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Everyone said the same thing about Kiffin and Saban. I personally don't see a problem with the two working together.
Exactly what I was thinking. Gus will explain what he expects of Muschamp and Gus will expect Muschamp to follow his instructions. For the amount of money Aubrun is paying Muschamp, the least he could do is follow instructions, win or lose.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
The only exception to the HUNH teams having crappy defenses is Ole Miss, and to be honest they slowed down a little bit this year. I'm not sure how this is going to work out, but scheme only does so much. The Jimmy's and Joe's are more important than the X's and O's, and the Barn doesn't have the bodies on defense. CWM may change that, but it will not be overnight. He will need 3 years to put a great defense on the field, and will he even be there that long? Scheme change will affect this years defense early, and Gus's pace will affect them late. The turnover on offense will hamper them a little at least early. They all better worry about their jobs. Another 8-4 with an Iron Bowl loss and Gus will be on the hot seat. CNS has retooled and the Barn has to answer or they will all be gone.
Most hunh teams, it seems, put all the best skill players on offense, CWM ain't going to like that a bit, especially if he recruits a good player and Gus moves that player to the offense.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Auburn has some talent on D, but it is spotty and thin to say the least. A few injuries and they'll be no better than they were before. The rest of the conference is catching up with Gus's gimmick offense so I suspect we'll see the offense be less productive next year and the defense improve slightly.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
That was my exact thought and maybe he'd have been ready to take over when SoS heads to Ole Playboys home.
I agree as well, but wonder if there was more to the $$ that WM demanded and Auburn paid. It would have made more sense for him to have gone to USCe if he had a desire to head coach in the SEC soon.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
They have talent all over the place just like we do. Do you not follow recruiting? No I don't think they will beat Saban in every battle on the recruiting trail, but they don't have to, all they have to do is have a top ten class on a consistent basis and they will continue to do very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Still don't buy it. Sorry. Kirby,saban, and now Pruitt are going to be very difficult for muschamp to build a team. Unproven til proven

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Auburn has some talent on D, but it is spotty and thin to say the least. A few injuries and they'll be no better than they were before. The rest of the conference is catching up with Gus's gimmick offense so I suspect we'll see the offense be less productive next year and the defense improve slightly.
This^^^^

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
Muschamp is a good coach. He is a very good defensive coach. Auburn needs a good defensive coach. I think school is still out on the relationship between HUNH offenses and their effect on defenses. I think Muschamp can help Gus determine the proper balance between those competing priorities and maybe reach a workable solution. I hope I am wrong.
Roll Tide and Good luck Will. Wish you were here.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree as well, but wonder if there was more to the $$ that WM demanded and Auburn paid. It would have made more sense for him to have gone to USCe if he had a desire to head coach in the SEC soon.
I am probably in the minority, but IMO Muschamp and Kiffin may never be head coaching material.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Ok, I have digested all the information over the weekend concerning this hire. I have come to the conclusion Bama should cry uncle, join UAB and give up football. We stand no chance against guschamp, Auburn will have a decided schematic advantage on both sides of the ball. Boom put them over the top in recruiting so we will have to take leftovers. And in a few years they will catch Bama in National titles. We should just quit now !

jdua

Scout Team
Nov 19, 2006
Muschamp is a good coach. He is a very good defensive coach. Auburn needs a good defensive coach. I think school is still out on the relationship between HUNH offenses and their effect on defenses. I think Muschamp can help Gus determine the proper balance between those competing priorities and maybe reach a workable solution. I hope I am wrong.
Roll Tide and Good luck Will. Wish you were here.
While the hateful HUNH can hamstring a defense, I don't think CGM expects to have a "great" defense. He just needs one that is better than the one they have now. He seems willing to accept having 30 or so points scored on them.....just not 55 :)....... I suspect his view is that if the defense is "better" his offense can do the rest.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
My two cents...
WM has never duplicated what he did at whoville. He has been at programs that had as much talent (or access to as much talent), but has never duplicated it. Now, when at the barn under Tubby (a defensive coach), he came close - but no cigar.
So I ask myself, "Self? Would KS be as good as he is now and have accomplished what he has now if he hadn't worked for NS?" Simple answer is, IMO, no.
So the common denominator here is working under HC's that were defensive-minded; GM ain't. Can he duplicate the success he had at whoville under NS, or even replicate the success he had under tubby? IMO? I don't see it in two or three years, and by then some feelings will be hurt over paying him that much money. And the limited success he may have will parlay itself into another HC gig, within three years.
This is not saying WM isn't a good DC, maybe even one of the better ones around; this is saying this hire ain't putting the barn into the playoffs next year, or the year after.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.