So Muschamp is in. Realistic expectations?

Crimson Duck

Sep 27, 2010
Montana
I don't see it being good for the boogs in the long run. If Muschamp rocks it and furnishes the barn with a top 10 defense, he will be gone to another HC position very soon. And seeing how much they are paying CWM, if the defense only improves marginally or regresses, the average booger will be doubling down on their Xanax prescriptions.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I haven't seen anything written about the assistants under the DC at Auburn. Even the best DC cannot coach well without good/great assistants working for him. Are they upgrading the assistants too?
I agree. This brings up a couple of questions. Are some of them upset that they didn't receive consideration for the position? Are some of them upset that they are paying him so much more than them?

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I don't see it being good for the boogs in the long run. If Muschamp rocks it and furnishes the barn with a top 10 defense, he will be gone to another HC position very soon. And seeing how much they are paying CWM, if the defense only improves marginally or regresses, the average booger will be doubling down on their Xanax prescriptions.

i like your post dead on.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Whatever "reasonable expectations" are barners won't have any of it. They will be unreasonable from the start. If fact they already are. Clearly just the hire itself is enough to turn the moral victory this year to an actual victory next. It's in the bag.

While it is a significant hire it's a long way from being on par with the Kiffin hire just yet. No one knew how Kiffin would work out and to automatically assume this experiment will work the same way is simply speculation. Coach Saban had to not only have the courage to make the hire but, to surrender some of his long held opinions about how to play the game. Whether Gus is willing, adaptable or smart enough is yet to be seen.

Only time and some additional talent will tell.
Hello, fellow Trussvegas resident!

I won't lie, I am cautiously optimistic. I agree that the Kiffin hire turned out to be one for the ages.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
People seem to be forgetting that amidst this Will Muschamp to Auburn hype, is what Alabama did to Muschamps Florida defense this past season. Muschamp had far more talent at Florida on the defensive side of the ball than he'll have at Auburn and Alabama gashed Muschamps Florida defense. This is an extremely overrated hire by Auburn.

Al Becker

3rd Team
Jan 25, 2011
Trussville, Al.
Good reason to optimistic. A very good hire. I,ve just had the misfortune of hearing from some of your more, we'll some of your brethren that are prematurely celebrating championships not yet won.

Greeting from Trussvegas back to you.

Hello, fellow Trussvegas resident!

I won't lie, I am cautiously optimistic. I agree that the Kiffin hire turned out to be one for the ages.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
As much money as aubren owes former and current coaches,mushchamp will be,at 1.6 mil, the first one under the Gus bus if expectations aren't met .IMO.

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Have we not already beaten this jack leg, TWICE as a HEAD COACH? 38-10 and 42-21 were the scores, IIRC. I hope he has a buyout on his contract, so when they fire gus and clean the house of him and anyone associated with them, he will continue to drain their resources.
We also beat his defense 38-21 in the Rose Bowl in the BCSNCG. For one reason or another, we've actually had great success against Muschamp's defenses. I had a barner tell me this week that it was probably because Muschamp's offenses were so bad and that Colt got hurt (He actually said that exact phrase! -lol) in the BCSNCG and that his defenses wore down. I decided to look back, that hasn't been the case AT ALL. We scored 24 points against his defense before halftime in 2009, 24 before halftime in 2011, and 21 and over 400 yards against his defense this year. Had it not been for us fumbling the ball 63 times in that game, it would have much uglier than that.

His defenses were ranked 3rd in 2009, 8th in 2011, and 9th this year, and we averaged 39.3 PPG against him. That's well above our average PPG in all 3 of those years. If that trend continues, I'll love this hire! -lol

This may be wishful thinking on my part, but I have to wonder if it has something to do with Saban knowing the weaknesses of Muschamp's defenses. Muschamp still runs the basic 4-3 hybrid scheme that Saban used to run at LSU. It is a scheme that we have had tremendous success running the ball against, and that is a major reason Saban switched to the 3-4 over/under as our base defense. We've rushed for an average of 218 YPG against his defenses, and rushed for over 200 yards in all three games. The thing is that his rush defenses are usually very good (actually ranked #1 against the run in 2009), but the weakness is running straight at them. When we've done that, he's brought more defenders down to help with the run, and we've had great success with play action passes.

Again, if this a trends that continues, we'll all be very happy.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I'm happy for Muschamp to have landed a much better job than the one that he just got fired from and one that he is not over his head in. Muschamp is a very good coach but the problem therein lies with the HC. Aubrun HC will take the cream of the crop and put them on offense leaving the DC a few decent players and luckily 1 or 2 very good players and then at the end of the season when Malzahn has to explain what went wrong, he will throw the DC under the bus. Hopefully Muschamp has a good buy out. Things may not look so rosy on the plains in a year or two. Who knows.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I keep on seeing people and other analysts bring up AU'd defensive stats against Alabama from 2006 & 2007. They might as well throw those out. Those teams weren't even half as talented as now. The vast majority of those guys wouldn't be recruited let alone start this year or the next.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Muschamp is gonna be a net positive for Auburn. They have some pieces to give them a shot of being a "live body" on defense next year. Mainly looking at Carl Lawson being a big factor for them. I think it may take a few recruiting classes to get them back to being a top defense though. It is probably easier to turn things around quick on offense than on defense.

I don't really buy people trying to diminish the hire. This was a big one and it should pay off decently next year and be huge by year two or three.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Muschamp is gonna be a net positive for Auburn. They have some pieces to give them a shot of being a "live body" on defense next year. Mainly looking at Carl Lawson being a big factor for them. I think it may take a few recruiting classes to get them back to being a top defense though. It is probably easier to turn things around quick on offense than on defense.

I don't really buy people trying to diminish the hire. This was a big one and it should pay off decently next year and be huge by year two or three.
Disagree totally. Muschamp is a decent enough coach, but have you seen one team who runs the HUNH have a decent defense? You can be the greatest coach in the world and struggle defensively when your defense is constantly being put back on the field after 1 to 2 minute series on offense time after time. Malzahn believes he can outscore any opponent and defense is irrelevant. I suspect this hire had more to do with Jacobs than Malzahn. We beat them at their own game is the bottom line and they can't stand it.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Disagree totally. Muschamp is a decent enough coach, but have you seen one team who runs the HUNH have a decent defense? You can be the greatest coach in the world and struggle defensively when your defense is constantly being put back on the field after 1 to 2 minute series on offense time after time. Malzahn believes he can outscore any opponent and defense is irrelevant. I suspect this hire had more to do with Jacobs than Malzahn. We beat them at their own game is the bottom line and they can't stand it.
I think the point of rgw and many others isn't necessarily that Auburn's going to all of sudden have a top 10 offense AND defense. But, they had to hire some defensive coordinator. And Will Muschamp is probably better than any of the other candidates. Therefore, this was a good thing for Auburn. It does not mean Auburn will now be unstoppable. Basically, the point is that Will Muschamp will be better than Ellis Johnson and it seems like a lot of people don't even want to admit that.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I think the point of rgw and many others isn't necessarily that Auburn's going to all of sudden have a top 10 offense AND defense. But, they had to hire some defensive coordinator. And Will Muschamp is probably better than any of the other candidates. Therefore, this was a good thing for Auburn. It does not mean Auburn will now be unstoppable. Basically, the point is that Will Muschamp will be better than Ellis Johnson and it seems like a lot of people don't even want to admit that.
Yes he may or may not be better than Johnson but I doubt Auburn will out-recruit Alabama for top defense recruits except the occasional 1 or 2.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, I doubt Muschamp will have a top 5 defense in all the key categories...but I think he'll bring a more sustainable brand of that situational defense strategy that served Auburn well in 2010 and 2013. He's got a solid scheme that can bring some confusion for your OL and QB. I think he could get them off the field more than regularly. What they'd like is more resistance to prevent it from being easy to keep pace with their offense. Muschamp will bring that to Auburn's defense.

I would note that Alabama outpaced Auburn this year. There seems to be slow down across the conference...this was surprising after TAMU and Auburn's success against Alabama in 2012 and/or 2013. The defense across the conference seemed to be more prepared for pace offense. As some smart guys in the media have noted, Auburn had almost no success running tempo against Alabama despite scoring 44 points. In general, Alabama has handled attempts at quick snaps better than in the past. I think what we're seeing that tempo is becoming more of a tool than philosophy. Auburn will likely follow the trend especially if Muschamp can make an outfit like Mississippi's this season.

It would be nice if Muschamp gets damned by a head coach who wants to crank the pace of play to a point where he can't really call the game he wants. More than likely we will see Auburn pounce with tempo in spots where they've "gotcha" but overall play around the tempo we used this year.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Yeah, I doubt Muschamp will have a top 5 defense in all the key categories...but I think he'll bring a more sustainable brand of that situational defense strategy that served Auburn well in 2010 and 2013. He's got a solid scheme that can bring some confusion for your OL and QB. I think he could get them off the field more than regularly. What they'd like is more resistance to prevent it from being easy to keep pace with their offense. Muschamp will bring that to Auburn's defense.

I would note that Alabama outpaced Auburn this year. There seems to be slow down across the conference...this was surprising after TAMU and Auburn's success against Alabama in 2012 and/or 2013. The defense across the conference seemed to be more prepared for pace offense. As some smart guys in the media have noted, Auburn had almost no success running tempo against Alabama despite scoring 44 points. In general, Alabama has handled attempts at quick snaps better than in the past. I think what we're seeing that tempo is becoming more of a tool than philosophy. Auburn will likely follow the trend especially if Muschamp can make an outfit like Mississippi's this season.

It would be nice if Muschamp gets damned by a head coach who wants to crank the pace of play to a point where he can't really call the game he wants. More than likely we will see Auburn pounce with tempo in spots where they've "gotcha" but overall play around the tempo we used this year.
I wouldn't say defense served them all too well in 2013. That is why they lost to FSU in the BCSNCG. Also in 2010 they gave up 337 points. $Cam won them that NC.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I'm happy for Muschamp to have landed a much better job than the one that he just got fired from and one that he is not over his head in. Muschamp is a very good coach but the problem therein lies with the HC. Aubrun HC will take the cream of the crop and put them on offense leaving the DC a few decent players and luckily 1 or 2 very good players and then at the end of the season when Malzahn has to explain what went wrong, he will throw the DC under the bus. Hopefully Muschamp has a good buy out. Things may not look so rosy on the plains in a year or two. Who knows.
I hope you were kidding.

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
Please have someone show you where the blue font character is next time. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.