So Muschamp is in. Realistic expectations?

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Been hearing alot from the barners about how they've found "the missing link" and how they are gonna own Bama and on and on and on. Muschamp is no doubt a great defensive coach but can you imagine some of the comments they would have been making if he were to take an open position on our staff? I like what CNS told him regarding his decision. It started, good luck.
They were going to "own Bama" when they hired Chizik too. They were going to "own Bama" when they hired Malzahn. And Collin Cowherd said that Saban would not beat auburn as long as Malzahn was there. And now, they are going to "own Bama" yet again, because of what, a new DC? Yeah......:rolleyes:

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
It's a great hire for them, period. IMO their recruiting will improve, their scheme will be more sound, and this only makes Auburn tougher.

Muschamp will, however, have to practice primarily against a HUNH team, albeit they do run the ball. How does that translate into stopping pro style, power run teams?

There are a few on here not being real with themselves. It's a good hire and makes auburn better. A little better or a lot - remains to be seen.
So.....you are saying that auburn will basically have their cake and eat it too. They will have a super fast unstoppable HUNH offense, and a killer defense on top of that? Such a thing is not possible. As someone posted on the first page, something will have to give. If their HUNH doesn't slow down, then how can muschamp be all that effective?

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
So.....you are saying that auburn will basically have their cake and eat it too. They will have a super fast unstoppable HUNH offense, and a killer defense on top of that? Such a thing is not possible. As someone posted on the first page, something will have to give.
I think what he's saying is that Muschamp is about as good of a DC hire as they could have made and he will be an upgrade from Ellis Johnson.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
So.....you are saying that auburn will basically have their cake and eat it too. They will have a super fast unstoppable HUNH offense, and a killer defense on top of that? Such a thing is not possible. As someone posted on the first page, something will have to give. If their HUNH doesn't slow down, then how can muschamp be all that effective?
No. That's not what I said or insinuated. That was your interpretation. But that's cool.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You know I got really caught up with the whole Guschamp thing when the news was posted, but after thinking about it for a while I realized that the corncern for auburn next year will be their whole team. On offense they will be replacing their Starting qb,rb, possibly 3 wrs, and their starting center on offense. If they were going to do anything it wouldve been this year or in two years. So Gus is going to have to decide on how to handle recruiting with Muschamp's style of defense or Auburn can very well find themselves back in 2012 real soon. I just know Im kinda thinking that either Gus will go or Muschamp will go in the next few years unless Auburn comes back soon. I know the first game of the season doesnt usually tell how a team will finish, but I think September 5th is going to tell us all we need to know about Auburn.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
The buzz around here is pure elation. The barners are using terms like "The missing piece to the puzzle", and that Muschamp will add "an immovable object go to along with Gus' unstoppable force". I can tell you one thing based on what I've seen and heard; Muschamp better do very well, because the expectations are through the roof. I heard one say today "We haven't had a good defense since Muschamp left, and he can't turn it around, no one can!".

For Gus' sake, Muschamp better do very well, because if the defense is still horrible with him as DC, they'll be pointing their finger at Gus.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Have we not already beaten this jack leg, TWICE as a HEAD COACH? 38-10 and 42-21 were the scores, IIRC. I hope he has a buyout on his contract, so when they fire gus and clean the house of him and anyone associated with them, he will continue to drain their resources.

Last edited:

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
The buzz around here is pure elation. The barners are using terms like "The missing piece to the puzzle", and that Muschamp will add "an immovable object go to along with Gus' unstoppable force". I can tell you one thing based on what I've seen and heard; Muschamp better do very well, because the expectations are through the roof. I heard one say today "We haven't had a good defense since Muschamp left, and he can't turn it around, no one can!".

For Gus' sake, Muschamp better do very well, because if the defense is still horrible with him as DC, they'll be pointing their finger at Gus.
I predict that the Legion of Boom will turn into the Legion of Gloom in about 2 seasons...

Al Becker

3rd Team
Jan 25, 2011
Trussville, Al.
Whatever "reasonable expectations" are barners won't have any of it. They will be unreasonable from the start. If fact they already are. Clearly just the hire itself is enough to turn the moral victory this year to an actual victory next. It's in the bag.

While it is a significant hire it's a long way from being on par with the Kiffin hire just yet. No one knew how Kiffin would work out and to automatically assume this experiment will work the same way is simply speculation. Coach Saban had to not only have the courage to make the hire but, to surrender some of his long held opinions about how to play the game. Whether Gus is willing, adaptable or smart enough is yet to be seen.

Only time and some additional talent will tell.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I haven't seen anything written about the assistants under the DC at Auburn. Even the best DC cannot coach well without good/great assistants working for him. Are they upgrading the assistants too?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
there was some rumors to that Gus was willing to make some changes to his offense..
Whatever "reasonable expectations" are barners won't have any of it. They will be unreasonable from the start. If fact they already are. Clearly just the hire itself is enough to turn the moral victory this year to an actual victory next. It's in the bag.

While it is a significant hire it's a long way from being on par with the Kiffin hire just yet. No one knew how Kiffin would work out and to automatically assume this experiment will work the same way is simply speculation. Coach Saban had to not only have the courage to make the hire but, to surrender some of his long held opinions about how to play the game. Whether Gus is willing, adaptable or smart enough is yet to be seen.

Only time and some additional talent will tell.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.