So Muschamp is in. Realistic expectations?

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
I kinda feel dirty starting a boog thread but the Aubie nation has made many entertaining posts, claims and predictions with their new DC hire.

So we've heard all the yada yada yada about the hire. What are the real world expectations?

About all I know is CWM runs a 3-4/4-3 hybrid vs a 4-2-5 that Ellis ran. It seems CWM runs more Blitzes than Ellis did.

Does the new scheme fit their personnel better?

Their offense will look so much different with JJ at QB and all the other personnel they lose on offense and may lose if Duke and Coates leave early. Does that likely help or hurt the defense?

I don't know a lot but I just don't see how CWM is going to make them world beaters on defense as many boogs seem to think.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
I posted this in another thread, but I just don't think Gus and Will can work together. I think they clash from day one over the fact that Gus does not believe defense is really necessary. Muschump will become angry because his players are tiring out so quickly. For this to work, one of them will have to change, and I just don't think their massive egos will allow that to happen.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I just don't know how his defense will perform just yet... I mean I just don't know. I wish he hadn't taken the Auburn job, but we'll see. The thing about it, Will has spring, and fall camp to implment new defense system, and it'll take them a year to adjust...

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
CWM is talented, and has the potential to help Barnie's defense greatly. His relationship with Gus will be critical, though. Also, the HUNH will make it a little tougher for him. There's a pretty wide range of possibilities here. I lean towards some defensive improvements, but not as much as expected.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Anything would be an improvement. I agree with CrimsonPassion........I don't see Muschamp being happy working for Gus. The dynamics between those two is about as likely a train-wreck-in-the-making as you can have.

Zaiva

1st Team
Feb 27, 2013
I posted this in another thread, but I just don't think Gus and Will can work together. I think they clash from day one over the fact that Gus does not believe defense is really necessary. Muschump will become angry because his players are tiring out so quickly. For this to work, one of them will have to change, and I just don't think their massive egos will allow that to happen.
Everyone said the same thing about Kiffin and Saban. I personally don't see a problem with the two working together.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Everyone said the same thing about Kiffin and Saban. I personally don't see a problem with the two working together.
There is a huge difference. Lane is a younger coach that was given premier job after premier job and was mostly said to be a failure due to the USC and raiders job. His three head coaching jobs were pretty much given to him to his perceived unstoppable offense working in all three. What Lane lacked was humility at the raiders, and the ability to create a team in USC due to recruiting limitations. The big problem after USC fired him is that he had a perception of being a loud mouth and the perception that sark was the mastermind behind the USC offense during the Carroll years since sark got the better of him head to head at Washington . Lane was met with criticism for coming here because of those perceptions. Muschamp on the other hand, has been on highly successful defensive teams that have dominated recruiting because either his teams were the premier schools in the state (UF,UT, and LSU) or he was going against a sleeping giant that was waiting for a leader( the end of the Shula years for us). Muschamp has not proven that he can go toe to toe against a defensive juggernaut, but Kiffin has proven he can. I strongly believe that had muschamp stayed at auburn instead of bolting to Texas we would be talking about muschamp being like we do about Ellis Johnson. I think muschamp is a great dc if he has the players, but auburn has sold out on being an offensive based school since they showed tubby the door.

BamaSam1

Scout Team
Dec 12, 2011
Been hearing alot from the barners about how they've found "the missing link" and how they are gonna own Bama and on and on and on. Muschamp is no doubt a great defensive coach but can you imagine some of the comments they would have been making if he were to take an open position on our staff? I like what CNS told him regarding his decision. It started, good luck.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Muschamp will be one of the best defensive coordinators in the country. If their defense is not successful it will be on Malzahn's not getting it all to work. Great hire - they couldn't do better. But we will see if it works. For all the talk about egos, that should be a little déjà vu.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't follow Auburn, so don't really know anything about their defensive personnel, but Muschamp will need the same type of players in his front seven that Alabama uses. His defense, like yours, stops the run first, so he needs powerful men up the middle and speed on the edges.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Muschamp will be one of the best defensive coordinators in the country. If their defense is not successful it will be on Malzahn's not getting it all to work. Great hire - they couldn't do better. But we will see if it works. For all the talk about egos, that should be a little déjà vu.
Well said. IMO, and as it has been stated in several other posts, can the two egos work together? Having been a HC and now coming back to a former employer as the DC may or may not work as expected. There will obviously be a myriad of internal dynamics in play and only time will tell whether it will work in reality as it does on paper. Anybody however would an improvement on Johnson.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I don't know.. I can't see it working... Because Will Muschamp will have defense that works against Auburn offense all spring and Fall camp, so where does he get the opportunity to work against regular offense? Up tempo offense? Arkansas 's offense? LSU? Can he do it with the talent on the Defense? I think so, but he will have lot of young people on defense, and that could be bad in a way. GUs and Will have different personality and I don't see them lasting 1 or 2 years together... ...

Alabama, Florida, Arkansas and LSU will probably success against Muschamp, because he loves to blitz and it will create lot of opportunities for the offense to offset that.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Exactly and Auburn doesn't really have those type of players... It'll be like a year or two.... I don't think defense will be that bad, but he doesn't have that strong front, and plus his CB has to be real good and Auburn doesnt have that.
I don't follow Auburn, so don't really know anything about their defensive personnel, but Muschamp will need the same type of players in his front seven that Alabama uses. His defense, like yours, stops the run first, so he needs powerful men up the middle and speed on the edges.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.