New to the board - Gators fan - McElwain

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Fla. has been through some coaches is it the coach or is it something to do with fla athletic dept.
I think if you look at the number of head coaches to age of football program ratio it isn't all that different than the average. I don't have those figures handy but maybe someone else can post them.

But your point is well taken - we need some stability right now and having Coach McElwain surely will help us in that regard.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
Fla. has been through some coaches is it the coach or is it something to do with fla athletic dept.
Agree with Bazza. However, Spurrier was there for 10 years and Meyer left for health reasons (so he told us), the only two short tenures were really Zook and Muschamp - both for obvious reasons. It's not the Athletic program, it's the expectations. Some cut the mustard, others don't.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Agree with Bazza. However, Spurrier was there for 10 years and Meyer left for health reasons (so he told us), the only two short tenures were really Zook and Muschamp - both for obvious reasons. It's not the Athletic program, it's the expectations. Some cut the mustard, others don't.
I don't even think your expectations have been unrealistic. When Zook and Muschamp were both fired, the collective reaction across the CFB world was, "Well, yeah. Of course."

You may not have hit a home run with McElwain - no one will know until he's a few years in. But I think evidence that you made the right hire is that (A) other schools were going to go after him too, and (B) if we were looking for a coach, there would be a strong push for him to be here. Everything on his resume reflects success. He's got the personality and background. Easily the best hire of the offseason - although I do think Oregon State made a pretty big upgrade.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
We went through a few coaches between Coach Bryant and Coach Saban. You just have to find the right guy. Sometime it's a crap shoot. I know time will tell, but I think Mac will serve Florida well for several years.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Some are saying that we aren't a patient bunch and a bit spoiled based on WMs coaching experiment. I think many were just wanting to see improvement on offense each week and instead we saw schizophrenia each game - frustrating. As a season ticket holder and booster, I hated driving to the games each week with the feeling we may lose the game going in. I never felt that way in the Spurrier or Meyer days. Even with Zook and his bubble screen offense, you felt like there may be a chance. I honestly don't think Mac's process will take that long. The talent is there.
Coach Mac is a QB guru so it wont be long and you guys will have an elite QB in Gainesville, that is a given with him. He made A.J. McCarrron look like an All-American and helped Greg McElroy lead us to a title too. With him able to have Florida as a recruiting base I think he'll do very good. If y'all really do give him time he will put a good product on the field.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Welcome to the board. As you have been lurking for quite a while, you know what kind of board we are. I'll check out the fan site you noted. Coach Mac is a wonderful coach and I hope he does great things for the Gators -- except, of course, v. Bama.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
Welcome to the board. As you have been lurking for quite a while, you know what kind of board we are. I'll check out the fan site you noted. Coach Mac is a wonderful coach and I hope he does great things for the Gators -- except, of course, v. Bama.
Thx! Yes, please do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
We went through a few coaches between Coach Bryant and Coach Saban. You just have to find the right guy. Sometime it's a crap shoot. I know time will tell, but I think Mac will serve Florida well for several years.
yeah, i dont think we have a lot of room to talk about coaching turnover ;)

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Everybody at Bama likes Coach Mac. I wonder if he will be in charge enough to handle the job. Time will tell, but that is the one area that is not answered as of yet. Coach Saban is always the man in charge. You have a lot of pressure, lots of advice in a job like Florida. Most great coaches are unquestionably the one in charge and for good reason. That is an awful big stage for little head coaching experience.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
"Coach Mac is a great coach and will have the Gators winning by next season. He will bring a totally different vibe to Gainesville." - Greg McElroy, this morning on Sirius XM College Football.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Everybody at Bama likes Coach Mac. I wonder if he will be in charge enough to handle the job. Time will tell, but that is the one area that is not answered as of yet. Coach Saban is always the man in charge. You have a lot of pressure, lots of advice in a job like Florida. Most great coaches are unquestionably the one in charge and for good reason. That is an awful big stage for little head coaching experience.
I think he would have asked for all the power honestly after being with Coach Saban and seeing how "your way" can work if you have all the power. If he didn't ask for it I think he is nuts because they will eat him alive. But I doubt he is that naive as he knows how things work in the SEC now and he learned from the best in how to do that. Honestly I hope he does have all the power and brings them back because it seems when we were REALLY good Florida was always in Atlanta/Birmingham with us.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
This is the key! If your spoiled brat boosters & you ego centric AD leave him alone he will build a winning program. But does Jeremy have to make every hire? If so, you will be looking again in 2 years. Mac can do the job if they let him. Who else would pay $2m of their own money to go to Gainesville? You all better know just how special this guy is & do everything to keep him

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
This is the key! If your spoiled brat boosters & you ego centric AD leave him alone he will build a winning program. But does Jeremy have to make every hire? If so, you will be looking again in 2 years. Mac can do the job if they let him. Who else would pay $2m of their own money to go to Gainesville? You all better know just how special this guy is & do everything to keep him
I'm pretty confident to say that there aren't any boosters that get involved in the program and drive it - unlike a Univ. of Texas or other places. Jeremy Foley is known to be hands-off with his coaches and doesn't get overly involved in assistant hiring, regardless what you may have read about how there were certain coaches that were asked to be retained. Mac will have full power to do what he wants. There is a long leash. I'm really excited he wants to be a Gator as bad as he does and he seems to have the work ethic to get it done or die trying! Atlanta has been missing the Bama-Gators SECCG that was dominant in the league for so many years! :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.