Marcus Mariotta's Heisman acceptance speech

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I found it odd that he went out of his way to emotionally thank everyone he could possibly think of but excluded God. In the previous years, notable 'bad boys' Jameis Winston, Johnny Manziel, and Cam Newton made a point to thank God. In fact, this is the first speech I heard in quite some time in where the Hesiman winner did not give thanks to God. Robert Griffin, Mark Ingram, Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford and Troy Smith all included God in their speeches.

I'd like to not take away from the amazing year this young man had, and quite an accomplishment. Also I'll add this was a very honorable group of finalist and much needed for the Hesiman group considering how the aformentioned 'bad boys' represent the fraternity. Also I'll add I am in no way speculating as to why he excluded God, that's not my business. Nor do I really care as I am probably one of the biggest proponents on 'To each, their own' as in I don't care who, what, why, when or where you believe in, as long as it makes you a better person, holds you accountable for your misdeeds, and doesn't make you murder another. I just wanted to share my observation.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I found it odd that he went out of his way to emotionally thank everyone he could possibly think of but excluded God. In the previous years, notable 'bad boys' Jameis Winston, Johnny Manziel, and Cam Newton made a point to thank God. In fact, this is the first speech I heard in quite some time in where the Hesiman winner did not give thanks to God. Robert Griffin, Mark Ingram, Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford and Troy Smith all included God in their speeches.

I'd like to not take away from the amazing year this young man had, and quite an accomplishment. Also I'll add this was a very honorable group of finalist and much needed for the Hesiman group considering how the aformentioned 'bad boys' represent the fraternity. Also I'll add I am in no way speculating as to why he excluded God, that's not my business. Nor do I really care as I am probably one of the biggest proponents on 'To each, their own' as in I don't care who, what, why, when or where you believe in, as long as it makes you a better person, holds you accountable for your misdeeds, and doesn't make you murder another. I just wanted to share my observation.
didn't see the ceremony or the speech, but just a few possibilities:

1. he could be an atheist/agnostic
2. he could believe that actions speak louder than words
3. god may not be that important to him

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
didn't see the ceremony or the speech, but just a few possibilities:

1. he could be an atheist/agnostic
2. he could believe that actions speak louder than words
3. god may not be that important to him
4. he may feel that thanking god for recreational activities is beneath HIM

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
First and foremost I just want to thank God and the Heisman trustees and the past Heisman winners for allowing this dream to come true.
- 2013 Jameis Winston

Most of all I want to thank God for allowing me to be here. All that he's blessed me with in my entire life I'm so thankful for. For the love and the grace you have shown me, I'll be forever grateful
-2012 Johnny Manziel

To Baylor nation, I say this is a forever kind of moment. May we be blessed to have many more like it in the future. God always has a plan, and in this moment -- You know, God always has a plan, and it's our job to fulfill it. And in this moment, we have.
- 2011 Robert Griffin III

Oh my God. Oh my God. First, giving all the honor and glory to God, who is the head of my life. Without him we would not even be here right now
- 2010 Cam Newton

And then last night:

God Bless
concluding the end on his speech, Marcus Mariota

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I find it more telling of west coast 'progressive' ideology than anything.
Maybe, but I do not know the young man's heart.
Maybe not committing rape is a good start in showing where one's heart is.
I would not make too much of the absence of some reference to the Almighty. That is kind of between him and the Almighty.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
The most convincing testament (to one's personal relationship with God) that can be given is to walk in humble righteousness. Proud declarations of walking with Him mean nothing. May or may not be true, but it's little more than name-dropping in my opinion.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I tend to judge people by their actions and character rather than their words.

Mariotta is a good guy, and by all accounts a Christian.

I guess I'm not a good Christian because I didn't thank God at my award acceptance speeches? Is it that easy? Do it and you're a 'Good Christian', don't and you aren't?

Amazing that we finally have another Heisman winner that, by all accounts is a Good Guy, and people are complaining because he didn't say exactly what they wanted. SMH

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I never realized thanking God in a public way was such a bad thing.
And it never occurred to me that not going through an insincere rote recital like some of the past miscreant recipients had set up a litmus test that you have to pass when receiving the award. I think it's absurd...

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
And it never occurred to me that not going through an insincere rote recital like some of the past miscreant recipients had set up a litmus test that you have to pass when receiving the award. I think it's absurd...
Absurd? When a miscreant says, it sure. I was quite proud when Mark Ingram said, "First and foremost, I'd like to thank God..." He meant it (as many do) but clearly, some above had a problem with it.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
but clearly, some above had a problem with it.
I don't see anyone posting in this thread that has a problem with anything other than those who seem to be passing judgement on an upstanding young man because he chooses to worship God differently than they think he should.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.