Ohio State OC Tim Herman Takes Houston HC Job

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Mark Richt's pitiful performance as the FSU offensive coordinator in the BSC title game against Oklahoma is probably the gold standard when it comes to distracted coaches.

Last edited:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Initial rumors are that he will coach the Bama game, but not the Championship game if we win. Makes no sense to me, but that was the word - unconfirmed - from usually reliable sources. We've gonna miss him....he did a helluva job this year with that offense esp the QB's.....replaced 4 starting OL (3 of whom are starting in the NFl as rookies), Braxton, best WR and Carlos Hyde and still fired on all cylinders. Hard to imagine.....don't think it will have too much bearing on the Bama game but would much prefer he be completely focused on that game for the next 3 weeks
Easy explanation. They don't expect to win.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am worried about this - not for this season, but for our future. He has done a tremendous job developing our QBs, and that is probably going to take a step backwards. Also, even if he is focused on the game plan for Alabama, I wonder if he will take the time with Jones that he might have otherwise without this distraction.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
This won't help Ohio State, but it's hard to see it having any significant detrimental impact. Meyer has long since been running the show offensively, and was going to do so in New Orleans regardless of what Tim Herman did.
Yeah, this. Very possible that Herman is a great play caller and has played a significant role in developing their players, but their offense is really a product of Meyer and it's not missing much unless it's missing Meyer.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I am worried about this - not for this season, but for our future. He has done a tremendous job developing our QBs, and that is probably going to take a step backwards. Also, even if he is focused on the game plan for Alabama, I wonder if he will take the time with Jones that he might have otherwise without this distraction.
Urban has a decent track record. I'm sure you'll be fine. Even Saban makes a bad hire occasionally, but the good coaches will overcome that. Meyer has a strong enough track record that I don't think it's worth worrying about. He was fine before Herman and he'll be fine after.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Yep. He was there 5 years and got out. U of H is nothing more than a stepping stone. If you get fired from U of H, your head coaching career is over in the FBS.
Still a stepping stone, and an OC or DC has to get their feet in the water somewhere if they are to continue rising. We thought of MSU as career suicide for Dan Mullen, but a good coach can parlay a bad job into a career move.

Last edited:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
It could be a distraction for them,, but I doubt it. CJM did just fine calling the championship game before going to CSU.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
IMO, the decision for Herman to coach the bowl game hurts Houston more than it does OSU. The Buckeyes are a main program and will fill the spot and continue to play well in the Big 10. Houston on the other hand is not a major player in the world of college football. Herman needs the time to meet with his team, hire coach's and lay the ground work for a very short recruiting period for UH. The dead period is fast approaching but work needs to be done. If I am the AD at UH, he comes to work immediately and does not coach the bowl game for OSU. That is all I've got to say about that.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO, the decision for Herman to coach the bowl game hurts Houston more than it does OSU. The Buckeyes are a main program and will fill the spot and continue to play well in the Big 10. Houston on the other hand is not a major player in the world of college football. Herman needs the time to meet with his team, hire coach's and lay the ground work for a very short recruiting period for UH. The dead period is fast approaching but work needs to be done. If I am the AD at UH, he comes to work immediately and does not coach the bowl game for OSU. That is all I've got to say about that.
If he makes that demand, he loses a coach.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If he's staying at tOSU until the bowl game with Bama and if tOSU wins until the end of the NC game, he needs to work 23 hours a day.

He needs to have recruits on speed dial before and after the dead period. However, will he have had a chance to look at videos of these recruits? Will he hire staff only after January 12?

A man cannot function effectively with 2 masters: Pope Urban and the UH AD. One job will suffer. Which one does he want to suffer the most? The current one or the future one?

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
It is Urban's offense. There may be a small distraction, but I don't think it affects much.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
He had nothing to lose. That's usually when our offense plays it's best.
OSU also has nothing to lose.... They are expected by all the national media to get whooped by BAMA. I expect the OSU players to rally around their coach and play lights out on offense to send him off a winner. That said, I am confident BAMA wins but, I see a 34-31 type game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.