New Member Here

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Hello everyone! I'm a new member who resides in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here. So how did I become a Bama fan growing up in Penn State country? In the mid '70's I started following college football but there was just something about Penn State that I never found appealing. I watched a lot of football on TV and saw Bama play. I instantly liked Coach Bryant. The way he looked on the sideline (with the houndstooth hat) and the way he spoke was just my perfect vision of a football coach. I really liked the wishbone offense and enjoyed listening to the Alabama Fight Song as well.

Just a few years later PSU and Alabama played in the '79 Sugar bowl with the famous "Goal Line Stand". That created some lively discussion between myself and the PSU fans. The two teams had a good series in the 1980's, except the 1983 game when the official cost Bama a victory (Preston Gothard's catch) and spoiled one of Bama's greatest comebacks.

Today there's still many of the same great things about Bama. The wishbone is gone but there's still another legendary coach, same great fight song and a very good band (especially the Crimsonettes). I look forward to watching their remaining TWO games. Roll Tide!

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I went the other way

Grew up a huge PSU fan, all the way till highschool

was devastated in 79

In 86 I argued every day with a High school teacher that was a Bama Grad up until the game (PSU won 23-3) and then she convinced me to take a look at Bama as a college choice. I look back and think her love of Bama is what convinced me it was worth looking into.

When the time came I just couldn't imagine freezing my butt off in State College when Tuscaloosa was so close, a ton warmer and had so many more beautiful women. So I decided to go to Bama.

My Uncle Bob, the biggest PSU fan I ever met wouldn't talk to me for a long, long time and then it was only one word, "Bama?" and he'd shake his head in disgust. I miss that old cranky sob, passed away a few years back.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Bama is an internationally known school -- Here's the proof -- I am originally from England. Welcome to Tidefans, the best fan site in college football.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Welcome to Tidefans. I spent 2-3 years on the site before I ever registered or posted, and have not regretted it since. It is the BEST Alabama site, and IMO the best college football forum going. Everyone from the mods to the posters, to even the fans of other colleges that frequent the site, are really great. We're like a great big (dysfunctional) family, so the holidays are the perfect time to join. ;)

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Hello everyone! I'm a new member who resides in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here. So how did I become a Bama fan growing up in Penn State country? In the mid '70's I started following college football but there was just something about Penn State that I never found appealing. I watched a lot of football on TV and saw Bama play. I instantly liked Coach Bryant. The way he looked on the sideline (with the houndstooth hat) and the way he spoke was just my perfect vision of a football coach. I really liked the wishbone offense and enjoyed listening to the Alabama Fight Song as well.

Just a few years later PSU and Alabama played in the '79 Sugar bowl with the famous "Goal Line Stand". That created some lively discussion between myself and the PSU fans. The two teams had a good series in the 1980's, except the 1983 game when the official cost Bama a victory (Preston Gothard's catch) and spoiled one of Bama's greatest comebacks.

Today there's still many of the same great things about Bama. The wishbone is gone but there's still another legendary coach, same great fight song and a very good band (especially the Crimsonettes). I look forward to watching their remaining TWO games. Roll Tide!
Some of Us will take that to the grave. If that official gets to Heaven, I'm going to look him up and find out why he did what he did. I wish we had had replay officials way back then.

I did grow up with a lot of respect for JoePa, but Coach Bryant was like a father figure. I thought of him as a great coach, a great man, a great disciplinarian, and a great philosopher.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.