Les Miles and Michigan

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Miles and Mullen both have good reason to consider Michigan and both have an obligation to try to maintain a poker face. I tend to agree that UM likes Miles over Mullen (I would, anyway). Miles might say no, but I doubt Mullen would turn it down.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I really wouldn't want to be the interum AD at Michigan conducting this search. Think about it. If Harbaugh, Miles, and Mullen all say no, then where do you go? Anyone after that really is rather underwhelming. I don't know if Gundy flies there.

I know one thing for certain. I'll forever be grateful to the late Mal Moore for making the decision to make "one last run" at Coach Saban before moving on.

God bless you, Coach Moore.
Agree on Gundy - it would be Rich Rod version 2 for them

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I think Cam Cameron would be an interesting hire should Les take another job..I think Cam would actually be a descent hire, he's got the NFL HC'ing experience, he can sale recruits on, and he would know what it would take to get them to the next level in the NFL..He's a pretty descent offensive minded HC, as long as he hired a big name DC, I think Coach Cam could do really well as The Swamp Kittens HC..JMHO
I think if Miles was a candidate there would be more floating around, unless they have been REALLY secretive about it. If I were Michigan, he would be at the top of my list (Harbaugh is unrealistic IMO).

As far as replacing him at LSU, that's an interesting one. I think Mike Gundy would get some consideration. I also think Cam Cameron would get an interview. Pelini? Ruffin McNeil? Who knows...

Les, off the record, said basically he wasn't going to Michigan...so TIFWIW (<-- click for article)

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Mullen will either go to Michigan or he'll manage to get a substantial raise out of Mississippi State.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think Cam Cameron would be an interesting hire should Les take another job..I think Cam would actually be a descent hire, he's got the NFL HC'ing experience, he can sale recruits on, and he would know what it would take to get them to the next level in the NFL..He's a pretty descent offensive minded HC, as long as he hired a big name DC, I think Coach Cam could do really well as The Swamp Kittens HC..JMHO
I really don't know what y'all are seeing in cam Cameron because this is the same cam Cameron that coached the 07 dolphins and the same cam Cameron that once he got fired by the ravens that they won the Super Bowl. Lsu fans raved that cam was going to solve alabama with a high powered offense, but he hasn't hit 20 points on us even with zach mettenberger. Cam Cameron is cancer. I would hire Bo pelini way before I even get the thought of possibly hiring cam Cameron only to say heck no anyway. Btw cam Cameron has never had a winning season at any level

Last edited:

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Don't discount Mullen going to LSU if Miles leaves.......................

That LSU job isn't chopped liver. Its a elite program.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
The only thing I "See" in hiring Cam would be his NFL HC'ing experience would be a good sell to recruits & he could sell recruits telling them with him being a HC in the NFL, he knows how & what it would take to get recruits in the NFL, and while he's not the best OC in college football, he's far from the worse, and if he hired a big name DC & allowed the DC have full control of the D side of the ball..

I honestly think The Swamp Kittens would do pretty good with Coach Cam as their HC..That's just my opinion..Nothing more & nothing less..And Cam is pretty well respected among other HC's, in the college football coaching ranks, from what I've read about Coach Cam..Now I honestly think for some reason he would be a great recruiter as a HC as well..
I really don't know what y'all are seeing in cam Cameron because this is the same cam Cameron that coached the 07 dolphins and the same cam Cameron that once he got fired by the ravens that they won the Super Bowl. Lsu fans raved that cam was going to solve alabama with a high powered offense, but he hasn't hit 20 points on us even with zach mettenberger. Cam Cameron is cancer. I would hire Bo pelini way before I even get the thought of possibly hiring cam Cameron only to say heck no anyway. Btw cam Cameron has never had a winning season at any level

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They would be insane to even let CC even ask for an interview at LSU. I really dont know what the future holds for Michigan and LSU, but I can guarentee Michigan's short list is Harbaugh,Miles, and Mullen. Until Michigan hires a coach I dont believe anything coming from "reliable" sources or from either of the parties involved with it.
I agree. I have some sources I could mine to see if anything's up, but I honestly just don't care...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
IMO Michigan should do all they can do to get Les, but honestly I hope he stays where he is. I know he has been the subject of jokes and he has handled that in a really funny way, but the fact is the guy is a darn good coach and recruiter with players that love him.
Nick Saban resurrected the LSU football program and Les Miles was the perfect replacement when CNS went to the Dolphins.
I truly respect Les for his comments about the Bama LSU rivalry, and especially the way he spoke out about the rematch for the NCG and didn't complain/cry about it. He actually embraced it.
Ironically, the return of CNS at Alabama is IMO the only thing that has kept LSU from a pretty impressive run themselves.
The SEC West without the Saban vs Miles element just wouldn't be the same.
I used to think that I wanted him to stay, just because I didn't think he was that good. I still think he makes some monumental screwups. There's no excuse for having access to the kind of talent they have and having offenses that stink, year after year. It won't matter if the Wisky QB ends up down there. They'll waste him, much the same as they wasted Mett. For me, he's just right - not too bad and not too good. He'll never butt out and hire a decent OC, so I'm happy for him to remain in place. And, he's entertaining... ;)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The only thing I "See" in hiring Cam would be his NFL HC'ing experience would be a good sell to recruits & he could sell recruits telling them with him being a HC in the NFL, he knows how & what it would take to get recruits in the NFL, and while he's not the best OC in college football, he's far from the worse, and if he hired a big name DC & allowed the DC have full control of the D side of the ball..

I honestly think The Swamp Kittens would do pretty good with Coach Cam as their HC..That's just my opinion..Nothing more & nothing less..And Cam is pretty well respected among other HC's, in the college football coaching ranks, from what I've read about Coach Cam..Now I honestly think for some reason he would be a great recruiter as a HC as well..
Ok so would you think rod marineli would be a good candidate as well since he has head coaching career in the nfl even though he was 0-16. Cam Cameron was 1-15 at the dolphins , 18-37 at Indiana with no winning seasons, and was the ravens oc for a few years and they didn't do anything offensively until they fired him in week 14 in 2012. Cam Cameron is a horrible head coach and a mediocre offensive coordinator. But if lsu gets so desperate to let cam Cameron to take that job then that's one less team we have to worry about.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
You may very well be 100% right, I'm not trying to argue against, I'm just stating my opinion..We don't know how he would do as a HC on the college level..Pete Carroll is an exmple of a HC that was an NFL flop you could say, then ended up being one of college football' best HC on the college level, when USC gave him a 2nd chance..Like I said..You may be spot on & Cam wold stink it up as LSU's HC..But..He's one of LSU's best recruiters on their coaching staff if I'm not mistaken, & I honestly think he would be one helluva good recruiter as The Swamp Kitten's HC..But..Recruiting is only a part of "The Process", can Coach Cam coach up all the talent, he would land & would he be a true leader for those kids..Is a whole other story though..And LSU would be rolling the dice crazy big-time if they hired Coach Cam & it would either be big-time success or a big-time flop by hiring Cam..

I actually agree with ya..And think Coach Cam would keep the The Swamp Kittens in the middle of the pack in the SEC as their HC..Chances are against LSU, that it would work out for the good, like it worked out for the Trojans, when they took a chance on a washed up Coach Carroll..Ya just never ever know how coaching hires, will work out in college football, and every hire can go either way for the good or the bad..That's what makes keeping up & being a fan of college football, is so awesome, and is why I love college football more than I do the NFL..Cause coaching in college football, is a whole different kinda beast for HC's, than it is for them coaching in the NFL..And is why some HC's has success on the college level & then not have that same kinda success on the NFL Level..Coach Saban is another example of that as well..Ya just never know how any coaching hire will work out on the college level..I respect your opinion & think most likely that you're correct & Coach Cam would be a "so so" type hire..That's just my opinion about Coach Cam Bro..
Ok so would you think rod marineli would be a good candidate as well since he has head coaching career in the nfl even though he was 0-16. Cam Cameron was 1-15 at the dolphins , 18-37 at Indiana with no winning seasons, and was the ravens oc for a few years and they didn't do anything offensively until they fired him in week 14 in 2012. Cam Cameron is a horrible head coach and a mediocre offensive coordinator. But if lsu gets so desperate to let cam Cameron to take that job then that's one less team we have to worry about.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I've got a friend who is a LSU fan....pretty cool guy who's not a jerk and he wants Miles gone and has wanted him gone for the last couple of years. He doesn't think they'll get back to championship level as long as Miles is there.

So, despite my friends desire, I hope Miles stays put!!!

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
UM would win with LM. They would do well. And honestly, I think LSU would do well with several other coaches. It's a solid, winning program nowadays.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Michigan is going to be way behind in recruiting the longer they weight. Concerning Miles, that was the most unprepared team in the history of the BCS in 2011.

luvthat_TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2004
I've got a friend who is a LSU fan....pretty cool guy who's not a jerk and he wants Miles gone and has wanted him gone for the last couple of years. He doesn't think they'll get back to championship level as long as Miles is there.

So, despite my friends desire, I hope Miles stays put!!!
Most of my family lives in cajun country, and they all pretty much want Coach Miles gone. But I'm with you, keep him there.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.