Les Miles and Michigan

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I've said before - I don't think Miles goes to UM. They'd have to offer him 10 mil a year, IMO, to get him to leave whoville. The rest of the SEC could pony up and pay him that much to stay, if necessary.
I don't think JH goes, either. I had heard he was feeling out Oakland, but I don't know where that went. He just doesn't seem to be a fit for Raider Nation (Bo would fit in nicely there). I don't think he wants to go back to coaching college, after getting so close at SF to winning it all.
Houston Nutt is available....

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Good Lord. Why would anybody who had another even half-way decent choice consider going to Oakland?

Houston Nutt and Michigan deserve each other.
He's from that area and it appears he's trying to stay there. I don't know who reached out to whom, but I read there was either a) "interest" or b) contact. So I guess you'd have to ask him.
But, hey, Stabler played there and won a Super Bowl, so.....

IM4UA

1st Team
Aug 10, 2003
Alabaster, AL, US
I don't think Miles goes to UM. They'd have to offer him 10 mil a year, IMO, to get him to leave whoville. The rest of the SEC could pony up and pay him that much to stay, if necessary.
LOL. Les is like the crazy uncle in the family. He is quirky for sure, but he is still family. I hope he stays in Red Stick and chews on the grass for a long time.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Or DiNardo Duce if he ended up at Whoville. Ugh - gives me the heebie-jeebies. Might be fun to see Gu(m)by whupped up on for five or six years in Baton Rouge, though.
I dont think most LSU fans have a problem with being middle of the pack and every now and then challenge for a title, from what I gathered the real dislike for Miles is the fact that he won only one championship with Saban's players and can beat every team in Tiger Stadium at night except Alabama has Saban on the sidelines. There was always grumbling about Miles since the 06 season, but it really intensified when Tbob called him out after 1/9/12. I think LSU fans acknowledge that Miles is a steward of the greatness Saban had built them and is keeping them relevant but not great, but they are getting tired of being Georgia 2.0 under Miles. I really cant blame them, but who is out there that can lead them back?

As for Gundy... I pretty much see a good coach that would keep them on the trend they are on. He pretty much is an angry Les Miles IMO

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I dont think most LSU fans have a problem with being middle of the pack and every now and then challenge for a title, from what I gathered the real dislike for Miles is the fact that he won only one championship with Saban's players and can beat every team in Tiger Stadium at night except Alabama has Saban on the sidelines. There was always grumbling about Miles since the 06 season, but it really intensified when Tbob called him out after 1/9/12. I think LSU fans acknowledge that Miles is a steward of the greatness Saban had built them and is keeping them relevant but not great, but they are getting tired of being Georgia 2.0 under Miles. I really cant blame them, but who is out there that can lead them back?

As for Gundy... I pretty much see a good coach that would keep them on the trend they are on. He pretty much is an angry Les Miles IMO
From the 20+ years I spent south of I-10, that wasn't the case; at least, not back then.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I doubt Les Miles leaves LSU even if it's for Michigan.
Michigan's program seems to become less and less appealing with every passing year. If I was a coach who was offered the Michigan job and the Central Florida job, I would take the Central Florida job without reservation.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think some are underestimating how big the UM job is. I know they are in the Big10 and aren't in the south's recruiting hotbed but they are basically Alabama during the Mike, Mike, Mike days.
They are literally the sleeping giant of the north. If they got their "Saban" they would be very relevant again IMO. They'd have to recruit nationally (like UT did in their heyday), but they could probably do that with their tradition.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Seriously???
Salaries
UCF: $2 million
Michigan: $4.3 million

Michigan: Ann Arbor, MI

Stability in Athletic Department:
UCF: A lot (there were recruiting violations in recent years, but the new AD seems to have things under control)
Michigan: None

Pressure:
UCF: Very little
Michigan: A lot

Recruiting Base:
UCF: Florida
Michigan: Michigan

Condition of Program... Win pct over last three years:
UCF: 79.5%
Michigan: 52.6%

Trending of Program:
UCF: Up
Michigan: Down

Condition of Rivals:
UCF: ECU and USF are both good.
Michigan: Ohio State is in the CFP and look to continue to be the best team in the Big 10.

Literally the only thing in favor of Michigan is money. Everything else, I would give UCF the advantage.

ETA: Tradition/history is also in favor of Michigan, but honestly, this wouldn't mean much to me if I'm looking for a job. If so, maybe Harvard would be higher on my list. I'd be interested in the situation that I was walking into. Not where they had been.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Literally the only thing in favor of Michigan is money. Everything else, I would give UCF the advantage.
And if you win big at UCF (which you can), the salary will follow. UCF is a school with massive enrollment - if there was ever a 'sleeping giant' in FBS football, UCF is it. Tons of resources ready to roll when the right coach comes along...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Salaries
UCF: $2 million
Michigan: $4.3 million

I completely agree.

I've always wondered if the people making two million a year drive cars twice as nice as somebody that makes four million a year.

Given a choice between a low pressure job in Florida making two million or a job way up north with unreasonably high expectations making twice that...I think I could be very happy at two million a year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.