Les Miles and Michigan

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I think if Miles was a candidate there would be more floating around, unless they have been REALLY secretive about it. If I were Michigan, he would be at the top of my list (Harbaugh is unrealistic IMO).

As far as replacing him at LSU, that's an interesting one. I think Mike Gundy would get some consideration. I also think Cam Cameron would get an interview. Pelini? Ruffin McNeil? Who knows...

Les, off the record, said basically he wasn't going to Michigan...so TIFWIW (<-- click for article)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I don't know if Lester is going to Meetchigun or not.

I do think that if he turns down mama's call this time, he's in Baton Rouge for the duration.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think if Miles was a candidate there would be more floating around, unless they have been REALLY secretive about it. If I were Michigan, he would be at the top of my list (Harbaugh is unrealistic IMO).

As far as replacing him at LSU, that's an interesting one. I think Mike Gundy would get some consideration. I also think Cam Cameron would get an interview. Pelini? Ruffin McNeil? Who knows...

Les, off the record, said basically he wasn't going to Michigan...so TIFWIW (<-- click for article)
They would be insane to even let CC even ask for an interview at LSU. I really dont know what the future holds for Michigan and LSU, but I can guarentee Michigan's short list is Harbaugh,Miles, and Mullen. Until Michigan hires a coach I dont believe anything coming from "reliable" sources or from either of the parties involved with it.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
They would be insane to even let CC even ask for an interview at LSU. I really dont know what the future holds for Michigan and LSU, but I can guarentee Michigan's short list is Harbaugh,Miles, and Mullen. Until Michigan hires a coach I dont believe anything coming from "reliable" sources or from either of the parties involved with it.
I think Mullen is actually most likely ATM (of those), and his decision will hinge a lot on whether Dak would come back for his Senior year. I don't see Harbaugh at all right now (he stays NFL), and Les just seems like he had rather stay in Baton Rogue (can't blame him).

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I agree. it just seem weird that it's taking so long....

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I agree. it just seem weird that it's taking so long....
I don't find it weird. The NFL season isn't over, and the NCAA regular season just ended. I WOULD expect them to have a coach in place by the end of the month, so as the dead period ends they will have someone to recruit.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think Mullen is actually most likely ATM (of those), and his decision will hinge a lot on whether Dak would come back for his Senior year. I don't see Harbaugh at all right now (he stays NFL), and Les just seems like he had rather stay in Baton Rogue (can't blame him).
I dont see Harbaugh either, but I still think Michigan wants to try after the season. As far as Miles I really dont know which way to go with it because LSU fans and some prominent alums/ boosters have turned on him since 2011. Mullen is probably the most likely, after that it would probably be someone like Gundy or Tubby.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I dont see Harbaugh either, but I still think Michigan wants to try after the season. As far as Miles I really dont know which way to go with it because LSU fans and some prominent alums/ boosters have turned on him since 2011. Mullen is probably the most likely, after that it would probably be someone like Gundy or Tubby.
Gundy will be looking for any opportunity out of Stillwater I believe. He has worn out his welcome, and I think that if he gets a shot at another Power 5 school he'll take it (much like Anderson from Wisconsin). That's why I think he would be first in line if LSU's HC spot had a vacancy, but Michigan may have to settle for someone like him in the end.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
IMO Michigan should do all they can do to get Les, but honestly I hope he stays where he is. I know he has been the subject of jokes and he has handled that in a really funny way, but the fact is the guy is a darn good coach and recruiter with players that love him.
Nick Saban resurrected the LSU football program and Les Miles was the perfect replacement when CNS went to the Dolphins.
I truly respect Les for his comments about the Bama LSU rivalry, and especially the way he spoke out about the rematch for the NCG and didn't complain/cry about it. He actually embraced it.
Ironically, the return of CNS at Alabama is IMO the only thing that has kept LSU from a pretty impressive run themselves.
The SEC West without the Saban vs Miles element just wouldn't be the same.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I really wouldn't want to be the interim AD at Michigan conducting this search. Think about it. If Harbaugh, Miles, and Mullen all say no, then where do you go? Anyone after that really is rather underwhelming. I don't know if Gundy flies there.

I know one thing for certain. I'll forever be grateful to the late Mal Moore for making the decision to make "one last run" at Coach Saban before moving on.

God bless you, Coach Moore.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.