Link: Another example of LEO behavior which is just bewildering...

Islander

1st Team
Jul 18, 2008
Hoover or Dauphin Island
Well, in another month or so, I'll have a new right hip. As you might expect, I'm dickering with the surgeon on exactly how to do it... :)
Let us know which which way you decide to go-looking at this myself down the road providing it is still offered when I get there. Oh, and happy birthday!

Last edited:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I have a problem with that. Wrongs should be in some kind of sensible equilibrium. When the wrong on one side is having plates which the LEO thought might be illegal, that in no way justifies taking a senior citizen to the pavement and tasing him on the ground - TWICE, as if he were some sort of major threat. Those wrongs just don't balance in any rational way. The kid is a kid with a gun and other weapons - and totally out of control of himself...
I agree.

However, the wrong he pointed out was the fact that he did resist not that the plates were possibly invalid. IMO It still does not balance, and the LEO should never have attempted to cuff him. It is hard to hear what actually was said. It does appear to me that the LEO let his anger (or more likely attitude) get the best of him.

BTW. I'll add my Happy Birthday wishes and hope for an continued well lived life.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Let us know which which way you decide to go-looking at this myself down the road providing it is still offered when I get there. Oh, and happy birthday!
Will do. The surgical device I really preferred was taken off the market in September. I'm having it done by one of the hip guys in the Andrews Group, so I feel I'm in good hands...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Guess we should stop respecting citizens also.
They do everyday. Defacing a grave is disgusting, regardless of who the person is though. I know there are a lot of good cops, but they sure aren't standing up to those behaving badly. Quit standing behind the "blue shield" and call out the bad ones.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Your reply brought up a real piece of mystery for me. Most people know for a long time that they're going to have to have THA. In my case, I found out two months ago, yesterday. About two weeks or so before that, I'd made an awkward movement, turning to say something to my wife, and felt like I'd pulled my right groin slightly. I nursed it along; took some pain killers and a course of Prednisone, but it hung around. I finally decided that I needed a film and went into my regular orthopod (who no longer does hips). I was astounded at what the film showed. My articular cartilage in my right hip was just gone. Bone on bone and had been for years apparently. It hurts now with every step. The question which hasn't been answered is why I had no pain before now...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They do everyday. Defacing a grave is disgusting, regardless of who the person is though. I know there are a lot of good cops, but they sure aren't standing up to those behaving badly. Quit standing behind the "blue shield" and call out the bad ones.
That's interesting. My great niece over in Decatur is married to a LEO, an investigator. She jumps in quickly to defend them. I have an old friend, 35 years or so, who is a retired ER director/doc and lives now back in Coral Cables, where he came from. His claim to knowledge is having a daughter who is a career CG LEO. (She was a rookie, when Andrew hit- WHEEE!) He says they do absolutely protect one another. Keep an eye on the on-going story developing about the rot here in the sheriff's office. Complain, and you may end up with three bullets to the back of the head and left sitting up with your cap pulled down over the wounds. It sounds more like Mafia than LEOs...

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
That's interesting. My great niece over in Decatur is married to a LEO, an investigator. She jumps in quickly to defend them. I have an old friend, 35 years or so, who is a retired ER director/doc and lives now back in Coral Cables, where he came from. His claim to knowledge is having a daughter who is a career CG LEO. (She was a rookie, when Andrew hit- WHEEE!) He says they do absolutely protect one another. Keep an eye on the on-going story developing about the rot here in the sheriff's office. Complain, and you may end up with three bullets to the back of the head and left sitting up with your cap pulled down over the wounds. It sounds more like Mafia than LEOs...
At what point does the FBI get involved (or are they already) ?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I have a problem with that. Wrongs should be in some kind of sensible equilibrium. When the wrong on one side is having plates which the LEO thought might be illegal, that in no way justifies taking a senior citizen to the pavement and tasing him on the ground - TWICE, as if he were some sort of major threat. Those wrongs just don't balance in any rational way. The kid is a kid with a gun and other weapons - and totally out of control of himself...
No argument from me. I'm 65 y/o and wouldn't want to be taken to the ground by anyone, LEO or not. My point was simply that there is a time and a place for arguing legalities as to how situations should or should not be handled. When out in public you absolutely must assume the LEO is acting in performance of his/her duty and thus follow their direction immediately and to the letter. Imo the driver in this case was wrong in the way he argued the point with the officer as well as the time and place he chose to make his argument.

I've had to face a LEO and accuse him of what I thought was inappropriate behavior. However I did it when and where it should have been done, which was by appointment in the office of his superior officer the day after the incident. I didn't succeed in my argument, but it didn't put me in handcuffs, thrown to the ground or into jail.
Kind of like posting on TFNS. It's not what you say, but how (and when) you say it.

Btw, I'm about to have my first knee replacement surgery next month. I hope it's the last major surgery I have to endure.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I totally concur.

I understand the concept of watching each others backs but looking the other way when there is wrong doing or negligence is flat out criminal.

My last gf was a former cop in the Seattle area. She had her share of stories to tell about the misbehavior and downright corruption that takes place on the force. She said if the public ever knew about some of this stuff they would faint!

But yeah....don't expect most cops to say anything negative about other cops....the mafia is what it amounts to pretty much.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Are you talking about the Klonowski murder?

Oh, and Happy Birthday!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
No argument from me. I'm 65 y/o and wouldn't want to be taken to the ground by anyone, LEO or not. My point was simply that there is a time and a place for arguing legalities as to how situations should or should not be handled. When out in public you absolutely must assume the LEO is acting in performance of his/her duty and thus follow their direction immediately and to the letter. Imo the driver in this case was wrong in the way he argued the point with the officer as well as the time and place he chose to make his argument.

I've had to face a LEO and accuse him of what I thought was inappropriate behavior. However I did it when and where it should have been done, which was by appointment in the office of his superior officer the day after the incident. I didn't succeed in my argument, but it didn't put me in handcuffs, thrown to the ground or into jail.
Kind of like posting on TFNS. It's not what you say, but how (and when) you say it.

Btw, I'm about to have my first knee replacement surgery next month. I hope it's the last major surgery I have to endure.
I hear your argument, absolutely. I just think it's far, far too harsh to apply to a man of the age he was speaking with and was trying to make a sensible case to the LEO, who basically just was looking for resistance and an excuse for a confrontation. There was absolutely no legal reason to handcuff this elderly gentleman and there's no way to make it sound reasonable. You just don't handcuff and detain a senior citizen over a damned suspected plate violation, PERIOD! There are instances where instant obeisance must be insisted on. This one is not in the ball park, which is why he's on admin leave. He will be fired. The problem is another department somewhere will hire him, along with his personality problems and apparent lack of training...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
We must have watched a different video. The one I watched showed a cop trying to cuff the driver, then a scuffle ensued and from there it went off camera. I have no idea what happened between the time that they went out of view of the camera and the time the cop stood up with a taser in his hand. What does the one you watched show?
Yeah. I saw a cop butt hurt over a citizen daring to question him and that cop lash out in anger against said citizen. Old people don't move like young people and for that matter it is NATURAL to resist an unexpected and unreasonable assault against your person. The cop is a disgrace. You mentioned later in the thread that we must assume the cop is cop is acting in performance of his duty....horse hockey. I don't recommend anyone try to follow Plummer vs State as you will likely lose every single time, but SCOTUS made clear that citizens are not supposed to just take a cop acting illegally, thereby putting their own life in peril. This is a bad cop. He shouldn't be a cop. Anywhere. Anytime. Ever. Period. A cop that will abuse his authority like this is worse than a career criminal.

pyro

Suspended
Nov 9, 2004
Winchester TN
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/vandal-spray-paints-the-word-pig-on-fallen-indiana-officers-grave

Guess we should stop respecting citizens also. https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/safe_image.php?
d=AQCt3ouDcAubMA90&w=487&h=255&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsharing.theindychannel.com%2Fsharewcpo%2Fphoto%2F2014%2F12%2F14%2Fimageedit_2_4573964126_141859

3566440_11082591_ver1.0_640_480.png&cfs=1&upscale=1
The police already have... ever since Reagan left office. I will never respect a police or government official again. NEVER.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.