Auburn WR Sammie Coates Declares for NFL Draft

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Re: Auburn's Coats declares for NFL draft.

Walter
2015 Top prospect for position:
Amar Cooper is #1
Kevin White is #2
Sammie Coates #5
Duke Williams #6
Rashad Greene #13
Christon Jones #25
CBS
Cooper #1
Kevin White #3
Sammie #7
Greene#13
Jones #51
Deandrew White #51
Williams got left off by accident, but I would assume he'll be between #3 and #8
Lot of boards are projecting Cooper ahead of other guys.
Now for Jones and White, I think this will be a chance to improve at Senior bowl and Combine, and they could be gone by 3rd-5th rounds.

All my barner enemies seem to think he will be drafted ahead of Amari. He will not be drafted behind Amari. That will be Kevin White.

tidefaninvr

3rd Team
Sep 15, 2007

Coates graduated last Saturday so nothing more really for him to do down in Lee County...Mincy graduated also (with his Masters)

Coates graduated last Saturday so nothing more really for him to do down in Lee County...Mincy graduated also (with his Masters)
Mincy was already a senior.

I will say this. I just looked at AllBarn's depth chart this year. They are going to lose a lot more than I first though. If Williams leaves then it's only going to get worse.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

There is a lot of talk , and growing louder, of getting rid of Julio in Atlanta. Maybe the Falcons will draft Coates .

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA

IMO I would take a healthy Duke over Sammie. But I wish them both well and hope to see Duke join him out of the SEC!

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)

There is a lot of talk , and growing louder, of getting rid of Julio in Atlanta. Maybe the Falcons will draft Coates .
Where are you hearing this? If on sports talk radio, callers tend to be very unsophisticated, reactionary and completely unable to see the big picture.

Jones is signed through next season and the only talk I've heard is whether he should get a new contract. Of course, contracts are not guaranteed in the NFL, but cutting Jones would have huge salary cap implications and trades in the NFL are pretty rare these days.

Much of this is due to Matt Ryan eating up so much of the Falcon's cap space. I don't blame the front office for that as it is pretty much required after a QB has a career season, but it did really hamper the ability to build a defense.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Where are you hearing this? If on sports talk radio, callers tend to be very unsophisticated, reactionary and completely unable to see the big picture.

Jones is signed through next season and the only talk I've heard is whether he should get a new contract. Of course, contracts are not guaranteed in the NFL, but cutting Jones would have huge salary cap implications and trades in the NFL are pretty rare these days.

Much of this is due to Matt Ryan eating up so much of the Falcon's cap space. I don't blame the front office for that as it is pretty much required after a QB has a career season, but it did really hamper the ability to build a defense.
You must not be following the Falcons . There is some disappointment in that he is injury prone. He has had 2 fantastic years and 2 so-so injury plagued years. But that isn't the problem with Julio. the thinking is that the Falcons need Oline and more importantly a big name pass rusher. With Julio's contract up after next year, he will command Megatron money. Falcons can't afford that given all the team needs and Matty Ice's salary. It's a business decision.
With all the draft picks the Falcons gave up for Julio, conventional wisdom is to trade Julio while they can get some value instead of just letting him walk. Again. A business decision. BTW, there is no way the Falcons would cut Julio. No way. If he were cut, Arthur Blank would probably fire every front office staff member in the organization.

Last edited:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

The Falcons needing a WR is like saying the Bears need a WR. Atlanta needs to draft OL or anyone who can play defense.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

if the Falcons spend their first pick on a WR i'd probably find a new team lol

Don't think Coates is a first round pick. If he is the fifth receiver taken , I would say mid to late second. Heck, maybe early third

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

actually no. Coates is first round pick. WIlliams too. All boards I've seen are saying they're projected to go in first round. There are lot of upside to them, and i think they will be fine.
Don't think Coates is a first round pick. If he is the fifth receiver taken , I would say mid to late second. Heck, maybe early third

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)

You must not be following the Falcons .
I follow the Falcons and haven't heard anyone from the organization saying that Jones needs to go. That is coming from sports talk radio trying to play GM.

Your post is certainly 100% correct that the Falcons need a lot of help in other places, but it's doubtful that they'd dump their only marketable superstar to do so - especially when so much money is tied up with the QB that needs all the weapons he can get.

A Megatron type contract would certainly be tough, but other teams find ways to pay a QB and a superstar WR.

In today's NFL a serviceable defense can be gotten on the cheap since so many defensive positions have been relegated to role players. The Falcons have been bitten too many times trying to go after a big name pass rusher (e.g. Abraham) so it's doubtful that they'd throw much money in that direction again.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The fifth WR of the draft since 2010:

2014: Kelvin Benjamin (#28)
2013: Robert Woods (#41)
2012: Stephen Hill (#43)
2011: Torrey Smith (#58)
2010: Damian Williams (#77, third round)

With the change of the league, WRs are going to continue to go early. Will have to be a weak WR class for the fifth WR to go in the third round in the present day NFL.

Mel Kiper spoke about Coates and Williams last week. Link

Auburn receivers Sammie Coates and D'haquille Williams will decide in the near future whether to return to school for their senior seasons or jump into the NFL.

On Thursday, ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper gave Auburn fans some projections they may not want to hear.

"They're both similar in terms of where they'll go," Kiper said of his round projections during a conference call. "Maybe late one, but probably early to mid two."

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

only idiots want Julio traded. stop listening to sports talk radio and think "everyone" wants that.

The Falcons need a new GM and new coaching. and then new OL, DL and DBs

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

only idiots want Julio traded. stop listening to sports talk radio and think "everyone" wants that.

The Falcons need a new GM and new coaching. and then new OL, DL and DBs
Not listening to people that want Julio traded, watching NFL network a lot lately. I have never heard anyone say they 'want' Julio traded. just that he will command more money than the Falcons can afford. I don't listen to sports talk radio.

I didn't say Coates didn't have a first round grade, just that he wouldn't go in first round. That was off the top of my head. The 2 mock drafts I just looked , one had 4 receivers in rd 1 , the other had 5. Looking at the history listed over the last 5 years, it looks like the 5 th receivers were taken in the first round just one time. First round grade doesn't mean the player is taken in round 1.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Not listening to people that want Julio traded, watching NFL network a lot lately. I have never heard anyone say they 'want' Julio traded. just that he will command more money than the Falcons can afford. I don't listen to sports talk radio.

I didn't say Coates didn't have a first round grade, just that he wouldn't go in first round. That was off the top of my head. The 2 mock drafts I just looked , one had 4 receivers in rd 1 , the other had 5. Looking at the history listed over the last 5 years, it looks like the 5 th receivers was taken in the first round just one time. First round grade doesn't mean the player is taken in round 1.
if the Falcons trade Julio and keep Smith and Dimitroff, Blank might as well sell the team to LA and leave Atlanta forever.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.