Report: Florida Gators to hire MSU's Geoff Collins as defensive coordinator

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm not sure how I feel about this hire. To the OP, I believe there are only two 4* players on that list and the rest are 3*. To turn mostly 3*s into a top 12 defense and playing in the SEC West should count for a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah, 12th out of 14 aint too bad

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Mullen blows more smoke than anyone else in the SEC, and there is no reason to think he would stop with his DC leaving.

This coming from a program that self-dubbed Collins as the "Minister of Mayhem" in his official MSU bio...
i do have to give mullen one thing, his cousin eddie bit was funny

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Remember he will be working for Coach Mac not Mullens I think that will make a big difference. Besides the talent is way different. I bet you see a very good D at FL.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I think he accepted the job because things weren't looking good down in Miss state.. There was some talk on contract extension, and I mean with lot of turnover on coaching staff and players leaving... Dan is going to end up holding the sinking ship...
Mullen throwing the defensive coaches under the bus in his Egg Bowl post-game presser might have had something to do with Collins' exit.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I don't know too much about Coach Collins but FWIW here's his coaching pedigree:

Coaching History Team Years
Assistant Coach/Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Coach Mississippi State Bulldogs 2013-Present
Co-Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Coach Mississippi State Bulldogs 2011-2012
Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Coach Florida International Panthers 2010
Recruiting Coordinator/Linebackers Coach UCF Knights 2008-2009
Director of Player Personnel Alabama Crimson Tide 2007
Recruiting Coordinator Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets 2006
Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Backs Coach Western Carolina Catamounts 2002-2005
Graduate Assistant Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets 1999-2001
Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Coach Albright College 1997-1998
Head Coach Franklin High School (N.C.) 1995
Student Assistant Western Carolina Catamounts 1993-1994

And some (cherry-picked) conference rankings from the Bulldogs defense last season:

http://assets.espn.go.com/sec/football/2014/SEC-Only.pdf

#2 in yards for loss
#3 in sacks
#1 in passes defended
#3 in interceptions
#6 in scoring defense
#5 in rushing defense (yds/game)
#14 in passing defense (yds/game)
#7 in pass defense efficiency
#1 in opponents 3rd down conversions
#1 in red zone defense

I was hoping we could keep our current DC (Coach Durkin) but if this is what Coach McElwain wanted then I trust his judgement, given he has a better track record as a D1 head coach than I ever will! :rolleye2:

Going to a wild ride next season with this new staff!

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Not in a tongue in cheek way, right?! Jury is still out for me, but I'll trust Mac until proven otherwise.
We are acting nice now but if Coach Mac actually does well and beats Alabama than we will start to be mean to you and other Gator fans. ***blue font*** now really he has everything in place to do well at Florida and a great recruiting ground.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.