Report: Florida Gators to hire MSU's Geoff Collins as defensive coordinator

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/fl...ors-hire-geoff-collins-defensive-coordinator/

If true, I'm fairly underwhelmed by this hire, considering MSU ended up 12th in the SEC in total D in 2014, despite being LOADED with experienced players:
DE- Brown (Junior)
DE- Autrey (Senior)
DT- Eulls (Senior)
DT- Jones (Senior)
LB- Skinner (Senior)
LB- Wells (Senior)
LB- McKinney (Senior)
CB- Jiles (Sophmore)
CB- Calhoun (Junior)
S- Market (Senior)
S- Whitley (Junior)

Last edited:

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
I'm not sure how I feel about this hire. To the OP, I believe there are only two 4* players on that list and the rest are 3*. To turn mostly 3*s into a top 12 defense and playing in the SEC West should count for a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
I'm not sure how I feel about this hire. To the OP, I believe there are only two 4* players on that list and the rest are 3*. To turn mostly 3*s into a top 12 defense and playing in the SEC West should account for a lot.

He is an ok coach and not overly impressive, Collins probably is trying to get out of cow bell ville any way possible.....I think Collins has some experience in recruiting Florida as well.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Dan Mullen's comment on the hire? It's a lateral move.

He honestly said being the DC at Mississippi State is the same as being the DC at Florida.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

He honestly said being the DC at Mississippi State is the same as being the DC at Florida.
Not that he could say anything else...if he turned down the lizard job (or even if he wasn't offered), he's all in in Starkvile. He has to blow as much smoke as he can.
We find out next year what kind of coach he is losing 7, maybe 8 or 9, off of the starting defense. That's a big hit. I don't know how many they lose on offense, but if it's more than one or two then that's half of the starting 22.

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I'm not sure how I feel about this hire. To the OP, I believe there are only two 4* players on that list and the rest are 3*. To turn mostly 3*s into a top 12 defense and playing in the SEC West should count for a lot.

He meant 12th in the SEC in total defense. Miss State finished 80th nationally in total defense....

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Not a shocking hire in a lot of ways, even if not an overly impressive one. Collins has spent a lot of time as a coach in the state of Florida, and although his tenure at Alabama didn't really overlap with McElwain's, obviously there is still a common link to be found and I'm sure positive things to say about him coming out of Tuscaloosa.

As for his time in Starkvegas, again, meh. Defense this year was a flop, really, but then again it was always a defense built on experience and seniority, not on talent, and that recipe frequently doesn't end well. Be interesting to see what he can do with a lot more talent at Florida, and playing in the weaker division won't hurt his cause, either.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Mullen blows more smoke than anyone else in the SEC, and there is no reason to think he would stop with his DC leaving.

This coming from a program that self-dubbed Collins as the "Minister of Mayhem" in his official MSU bio...

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I think he'll do much better in Florida. As others have said, it was an experienced defense...but there weren't many players who were THAT good. He'll benefit from much better talent at UF, and has had experience recruiting the area. It is a bit underwhelming, but did you REALLY expect him landing a big name?

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Just want to point out: they were also the 9th best scoring defense in the country. And the #1 red zone defense in the country.

Honestly, I didn't really see them a whole lot this year, so I don't really know what to think about him. Regardless, I have to think that Auburn still has the best DC hire of the month.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think he accepted the job because things weren't looking good down in Miss state.. There was some talk on contract extension, and I mean with lot of turnover on coaching staff and players leaving... Dan is going to end up holding the sinking ship...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think he accepted the job because things weren't looking good down in Miss state.. There was some talk on contract extension, and I mean with lot of turnover on coaching staff and players leaving... Dan is going to end up holding the sinking ship...
Could be that Mullen is on his way somewhere else as well...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.