Sugar Bowl Practice Reports and Media Appearances

Which is fine by me as long as we get Henry north and south. He has great straightline explosiveness but not so much laterally..
Yeah, he doesn't have those quick feet others RBs have, but north and south he's scary to try and bring down. Neither AU nor Mizzou wanted any part of that, especially in the 4th quarter.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Which is fine by me as long as we get Henry north and south. He has great straightline explosiveness but not so much laterally..
Henry is looking really good on the sweeps but TJ appears to be much more shifty running inside. I love to watch him run. If he is near 100 per cent, OSU is in for a long day. I think they are anyway.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Henry is looking really good on the sweeps but TJ appears to be much more shifty running inside. I love to watch him run. If he is near 100 per cent, OSU is in for a long day. I think they are anyway.
Yea I like the power sweep play we have been running. I guess I meant more like the zone read with Henry where if Henry gets the ball the play goes to the outside. However, on those sweep plays he has time to pick up a head of steam..

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Yea I like the power sweep play we have been running. I guess I meant more like the zone read with Henry where if Henry gets the ball the play goes to the outside. However, on those sweep plays he has time to pick up a head of steam..
I think Henry will progress and be a load re: next season. Plus we will be deep behind him w/some change of pace type runners. If we can win it all this year, we may be in for a special run once again. Great to be a Bama fan. RTR.

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I don't think we have seen a healthy Yeldon in quite a few games. Some of us have forgotten what a force he is when is he at or near 100%. Henry can likely handle a large number of carries and get the job done.

I am a little worried about the depth and experience at running back for this game. There have been several new wrinkles recently in the backfield with Henry and Fowler both in the backfield and leading blocks after a handoff to a wideout. I don't want to see the playbook limited due to injuries.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
So do I, but earlier in season and leading up to Championship game, folks were complaining about Sweep plays... I guess the coaches know what works and what didn't work, it all comes down to execution of the play. Mark Ingram wasn't good on sweep plays? Can someone refresh my memory?

I don't think we have seen a healthy Yeldon in quite a few games. Some of us have forgotten what a force he is when is he at or near 100%. Henry can likely handle a large number of carries and get the job done.

I am a little worried about the depth and experience at running back for this game. There have been several new wrinkles recently in the backfield with Henry and Fowler both in the backfield and leading blocks after a handoff to a wideout. I don't want to see the playbook limited due to injuries.
It's hasn't been limited as of late, at least to me. If anything, Lane found a way to open it up again.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I guess this is one of the most popular things to say lately, but some of his most explosive runs have been a bounce to the outside. But, I get it...
I agree but bouncing a run outside is different than a running play designed to the outside. I wasn't saying Henry is slow or anything, he just doesn't have those fast feet like Yeldon. Henry is more of a long strider so its harder for him to make people miss and explode laterally. Seems like it would make more sense to call plays to the strength of the running back..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Today is media day, which tends to mean absurd questions and players getting more camera time than normal.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban meeting with the media first...

Coach Saban: "I think as a head coach the biggest thing I have changed in is human behavior it's more about helping the players"
Saban: "Urban Meyer is a fantastic coach and has done a great Job"
Saban "what kind of value does a coach create for a university? There is an amount someone is worth based on that"
Saban "you start from scratch on a teams tendencies are and try to build a plan, they (OSU) have very good players, great balance"
Saban: "Anybody can beat anyone on any particular day"
Saban said he lets team decide curfew. "OK, you decided it so we shouldn't have any issues."
Saban said kicker Adam Griffith is as healthy as he's been since start of season and kicking well
Saban talks about where he wants his legacy/impact to be, how much he enjoys developing college players as people. NFL more businesslike.
Nick Saban asked by NY reporter about Jets job/complete control: his response"Let's start by saying I have no interest in any NFL situation"
Saban doesn't text, Tweet or email. "When I was a kid, I learned how to speak to somebody and look them in eye."
Nick Saban on (lack of) interest in technology: "I do get text messages and I read them. I just don't know how to send them back."

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Alabama media day coming up on ESPN.

The graphic on the left says we lost last 2 sugar bowl appearances. Are they forgetting our 21-0 win against LSU? That was the championship game..but it was the Sugar bowl.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.