B12 should rethink co-champs.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Maybe if Tejas does an about-face on its outlook of the Big12 but if not, it ain't happening. Nebraska likes its chances in the B1G. They're also well-respected there. Colorado really likes being in the Pac12 even though they are the conference whipping boy. The only teams I think that it might make sense for would be Colorado State and Houston. It would have to be teams who are small enough and who are willing to take the abuse for the payoff.
Wow so replacing Colorado with Colorado State and Texas A&M with Houston yikes... That's like replacing UGA with GA Tech and Florida with Miami. Only slightly better.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The Big 12 has walled itself off from the rest of the world. They should have added both Louisville and West Virginia when they had the chance. Then they could simply take in BYU today and have 12 members, with a pretty good mix of schools.

The problem isn't their commissioner. The problem is the conference exists for one reason - cater to Texas. I don't think it started out that way. But over the years, Bevo hasn't been able to control himself and Texas has basically ran off 4 good schools that they can never hope to replace. Serves them right, IMO.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
But under the policies of the B-12 Tiebreaker, there was a "champion". It was Baylor. The Commish just really doesn't know the "Policy"!

jef0071

Suspended
Dec 19, 2005
Hewitt, Texas, United States
i will ask this....who did ohio state beat? ohio state doesnt belong in the four team playoff. they beaten anyone, and have a worse loss than anyone else in the discussion. ohio state is there only because of their lame name. big 10 sucks; and has sucked for years. baylor and tcu both would destroy ohio state by 2TD's. Baylor is the only team that got screwed...and dont gimmie crap about a OOC schedule. the only power 5 ooc team ohio state played, they lost to...and that team sucked.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
i will ask this....who did ohio state beat? ohio state doesnt belong in the four team playoff. they beaten anyone, and have a worse loss than anyone else in the discussion. ohio state is there only because of their lame name. big 10 sucks; and has sucked for years. baylor and tcu both would destroy ohio state by 2TD's. Baylor is the only team that got screwed...and dont gimmie crap about a OOC schedule. the only power 5 ooc team ohio state played, they lost to...and that team sucked.
FWIW

FINAL SCORE -- Baylor (2015): 44 - Ohio State (2015): 59
Matchup Simulation Stats

• This game has been simulated 142 times.
  • Baylor (2015) has won 40 times (28.2%), won by > 20 pts 10 times (7.0%)
  • Ohio State (2015) has won 102 times (71.8%), won by > 20 pts 45 times (31.7%)
  • The average score is Baylor (2015): 28.9 - Ohio State (2015): 39.4, decided by < 5 pts 25 times (17.6%)
  • The game has gone into overtime 2 times (1.4%)

FINAL SCORE -- TCU (2015): 49 - Ohio State (2015): 56
Matchup Simulation Stats

• This game has been simulated 55 times.
  • TCU (2015) has won 18 times (32.7%), won by > 20 pts 7 times (12.7%)
  • Ohio State (2015) has won 37 times (67.3%), won by > 20 pts 13 times (23.6%)
  • The average score is TCU (2015): 29.6 - Ohio State (2015): 35.6, decided by < 5 pts 7 times (12.7%)
  • The game has gone into overtime 0 times (0.0%)

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Coming Soon:

There will be 4 16 team leagues that will play a conference title game and the 4 participants will come from these games. Bank it.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
But under the policies of the B-12 Tiebreaker, there was a "champion". It was Baylor. The Commish just really doesn't know the "Policy"!
That's not actually what the tiebreaker refers to. A few weeks ago I made the same mistake you're making now. Then another poster pointed out that the tiebreak procedure is for the Big 12's automatic bid to the Sugar (or replacement when the Sugar is a semi-final site). That's what makes the "one true champion" slogan the object of such derision; it sounds nice, except that it just isn't true.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
One step at a time. The BigXII would first need to add 2 teams to the conference. A recent article here in The Oklahoman outlined 8-10 possible candidates ranging from BYU, UCF, South Florida (All are travel concerns) to Houston (Do they really need to penetrate the Houston market?). Honestly, none of them were a solid 'yes'. All of them would have simply brought further mediocrity to a conference already boiling over with it.
Well I see we have the "travel excuse" pop up again. Texas A&M used it when they did not want to bolt. One year later "travel" was not a concern and welcome to the SEC. W Virginia :confused: is not a travel :eek2: concern? FWIW Central Florida is closer than W Virginia. As for mediocrity, the Oklahoman must think Kansas and Iowa State could beat BYU and UCF :eek2: :eek2:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Now that makes for some interesting shuffling. 64 power 5 plus Notre Dame. I assume the other 15 would come from the MWC and AAC.
Yes it would. For instance in the SEC you drop Vandy, Kentucky,TAMU and Missouri. Move auburn to the East. You have two 5 teams division, everybody plays everybody (9 conference games) and no conference championship game. Winner to the field of eight. Every conference is set up that way.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Stewart Mandel made a good point recently. I don't think the Big 12 should overreact to this one season. Had Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon or FSU had lost a Big 12 team would have made it in. This just happened to be a year where the top teams managed not to lose during Championship week.

Ultimately, I think they will move to a championship game, but to do so as a reaction to what happened in one season is silly.
I am glad that the Big 12 got shut out because they seem to have settled on 10 teams just so they wouldn't have to play a championship game. In other words, they are afraid to play the extra game due to what may happen. However, I also agree that they were really close to having not just one team but two in the playoff. If two of the other teams had lost, they would probably have gotten two teams in the final four. It is a gamble for them, but it may pay off for them some years. This year it didn't.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Yes it would. For instance in the SEC you drop Vandy, Kentucky,TAMU and Missouri. Move auburn to the East. You have two 5 teams division, everybody plays everybody (9 conference games) and no conference championship game. Winner to the field of eight. Every conference is set up that way.
Well, FWIW, I hate it! Sounds like basketball mixed with dog poo ... on steroids ... and I don't like basketball.

Seriously, I don't see the major conferences, certainly not the SEC ceding that much influence to a central power. If we do, I may find a new fall pastime.

TNBama

1st Team
Apr 19, 2000
Knoxville, TN. USA
If I were the commissioner of one of the other Power 5 conferences, I would demand that the Big 12 no longer be granted the extra bye week so they can play a game during championship weekend. It doubles up on the inequity. Not only do their teams have one less game than the other conferences' champions, but they get an extra week's rest along the way. Look at how Baylor used their bye weeks this year to see how it helped them - they played no more than 4 games in a row before getting a chance to rest and heal.

If they want to play a game that weekend, they should be forced to start their season a week later - no extra bye.
I fully agree, and mentioned that very thing to my wife recently. They get an unfair advantage with that extra bye.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Well, FWIW, I hate it! Sounds like basketball mixed with dog poo ... on steroids ... and I don't like basketball.

Seriously, I don't see the major conferences, certainly not the SEC ceding that much influence to a central power. If we do, I may find a new fall pastime.
I'm not too far from that now due to what football has become. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of every rule benefiting the offense, every hard hit getting a flag, teams being allowed to break rules just because they go fast, and 60-55 scores. The talk of paying student-athletes because of how tough they have it makes my blood boil and would certainly be a final straw. I hope they figure out that if they protect the game, the money will be there. It would definitely change what my fall Saturday's have been for the last 30+ years, but I'm sure I can find something to occupy my time if it comes to that.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I am glad that the Big 12 got shut out because they seem to have settled on 10 teams just so they wouldn't have to play a championship game. In other words, they are afraid to play the extra game due to what may happen. However, I also agree that they were really close to having not just one team but two in the playoff. If two of the other teams had lost, they would probably have gotten two teams in the final four. It is a gamble for them, but it may pay off for them some years. This year it didn't.
The Big 12 got fat and sassy when the networks ponied up for a refined 10-team format. Big 12 schools cashed big checks and thought it could slogan its way to national prominence. Instead the “One True Champion” campaign became an albatross when it became likely that Baylor and TCU would tie for the league title and the lack of a title game which in other leagues produces a true champ made the Big 12 the odd league out in this first season of musical chairs.

http://newsok.com/we-were-warned.-big-12-needs-a-championship-game./article/5373896

What I don't get is the excuses they throw out. Do they not know history or is it that no one calls them on it? They will expand, excuses about distance and student-athletes not withstanding. The Texas A&M AD said the extra travel for the SEC would be bad on the student-athletes and therefore they would stay in the B12. One year later they joined the SEC. To my knowledge no reporter ever asked, "why are you punishing your student athletes?" I suppose they know they will get a free pass for the idiotic excuses they come up with.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I really like the 8 "groupings" of 10 teams that all play each other and the winner goes to the playoffs. I'd do it without divisions and make 1 and 2 in each group play a championship game. I shy away from calling it conferences, because I think it maybe needs some tweaking each year. Obviously, this means blowing the whole thing up. For football at least, no more SEC, ACC, Big 10, etc.

There are lots of different good ideas, but the more and more I think about it, we need to take the "eye test" out of the equation. It's great for us because we generally get the benefit of the doubt because we are Alabama, but I understand why other fans are fed up with the idea.

I am for anything that guarantees undefeated teams get a shot at the title. I am not for colleges hiring PR firms in the hopes they get a shot. The sort of campaigning is going to happen every year until we make it a definitive, on the field criteria to get in.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.