B12 should rethink co-champs.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I really like the 8 "groupings" of 10 teams that all play each other and the winner goes to the playoffs. I'd do it without divisions and make 1 and 2 in each group play a championship game. I shy away from calling it conferences, because I think it maybe needs some tweaking each year. Obviously, this means blowing the whole thing up. For football at least, no more SEC, ACC, Big 10, etc.

There are lots of different good ideas, but the more and more I think about it, we need to take the "eye test" out of the equation. It's great for us because we generally get the benefit of the doubt because we are Alabama, but I understand why other fans are fed up with the idea.

I am for anything that guarantees undefeated teams get a shot at the title. I am not for colleges hiring PR firms in the hopes they get a shot. The sort of campaigning is going to happen every year until we make it a definitive, on the field criteria to get in.
The problem with having #1 and #2 play in a championship game is that playing 9 conference games #1and #2 have already played. You run the risk of #1 losing to #2; then who is the conference champion? Kind of like Baylor and TCU this year. If you can't win during the regular season why should you get another chance? If every conference has 10 teams then there is no need for divisions.

BamaGene

Scout Team
Jun 14, 2014
It appeared to me that Ohio State winning 59-0 put them in ahead of Baylor and TCU, even though both Baylor and TCU did not lose.

Maybe the Big12 will have a better chance next year, not sure if you've seen the 2015 OSU schedule but they'll need to go undefeated AND beat most everyone 59-0 to be considered for the playoff next year. It has to suck for fans like B1GTide knowing your team is favored by two or three touchdowns every game with almost zero chance of being knocked off. Their toughest two games are Michigan and then MSU at the end. If Bama played that schedule I'd probably be reduced to just watching the games on radio!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I don't like the idea of 10 team divisions if only the division champion is allowed to play. I do not want college football to become the NFL. There needs to be a way for the Alabama of 2011 to play itself into the CG. What a shame if the two best teams in the nation are in the same division when only the champion is rewarded. I understand the "they ought to win their division" side, and I agree ..... except the game has fumbles and refs who sometime make mistakes, so I want a way for a really good team be allowed in.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
As I have said before, if the conference champions of all the power 5 conferences finish undefeated then 1 undefeated conference champion is going to be left out. This is where the selection committee comes in and decides with trends and "the eye test" which undefeated team gets left out. That is why an 8 team playoff will eventually replace the 4 team playoff. The 5 power conference champions and the next 3 highest rated teams. If you are not going to use the BCS selection model to pick the 4 best teams then the 8 team playoff trumps the 4 team playoff.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
As I have said before, if the conference champions of all the power 5 conferences finish undefeated then 1 undefeated conference champion is going to be left out. This is where the selection committee comes in and decides with trends and "the eye test" which undefeated team gets left out. That is why an 8 team playoff will eventually replace the 4 team playoff. The 5 power conference champions and the next 3 highest rated teams. If you are not going to use the BCS selection model to pick the 4 best teams then the 8 team playoff trumps the 4 team playoff.
Has it ever happened in the history of college football that there were 5 undefeated conference champions? I think the odds of that happening with the current conferences is extremely remote. This year there was only one undefeated conference champion.

The SEC has always had more top tier teams than other conferences. The PAC 10 was USC and UCLA. The Big 8 was Nebraska and Oklahoma. The SWC was Texas and Arkansas. The Big 10 was tOSU and Michigan. The SEC was Bama, Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia, and LSU. If the playoffs were based on conference champs it would be very unfair for the conference with the most competition, in this case the SEC.

One thing the "eye test" tells me is there is no need for more than a four team playoff. I agree that teams ranked 5-8 could win, but IMO they didn't really earn their way in.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
That is, IMO, the crux of this entire mess with the selection committee's subjectivity, no conference is going to get any team in unless it is the conference's champion. 2011 is guaranteed not to ever happen again with a 4 team playoff. Expand the playoff then 2011 could happen again assuming the second best team in the conference has its only loss to that conference's champion. Had MSU not lost to Ole Miss they would have finished somewhere between 5-8 and would have made the playoff in an 8 team scenario. If the former BCS model is used then the selection of the top 4 or 8 teams is pretty much guaranteed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.