B12 should rethink co-champs.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Bowlsby said West Virginia AD Oliver Luck -- that member of the selection committee from the Big 12 -- told the league, "the co-champion thing really didn't make a different one way or another."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ess-co-champion-philosophy-after-playoff-snub

No matter how you spin it the lack of a CG hurts in the polls. Had TCU and Baylor met in a B12 Championship Game it would CERTAINLY have made a difference.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Bowlsby said West Virginia AD Oliver Luck -- that member of the selection committee from the Big 12 -- told the league, "the co-champion thing really didn't make a different one way or another."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ess-co-champion-philosophy-after-playoff-snub

No matter how you spin it the lack of a CG hurts in the polls. Had TCU and Baylor met in a B12 Championship Game it would CERTAINLY have made a difference.
being that both schools are located about 100 miles apart in Texas, not very likely they would of met in B12CG if they had divisions. Of course they could petition for the 2 best conference teams to play in CG

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
The whole playoff scenario would be better if they had all major conference champions and then 1-2 at large teams begin the playoffs. Otherwise it's so subjective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The Big 12-2 needs to re-think hypocrisy and the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality. Not that that puts the bar at a high standard.

First, they trumpet the "One true champion" meme to the heavens, then contravert that when they get too clever by half. They try to make a case that co-champions (never mind that inconvenient "one true champion" thing) actually constitute TWO champions, thereby doubling their chances for one team in the Final Four, and making a garbage argument for two.

Like the old John Lovitz routine, "Yeah, THAT'S the ticket!"

Then their doofus of a commissioner tries to defend the indefensible by claiming that "co-champions increases the number of players," who can claim to be a champion.

It's like murdering your parents, then throwing yourself on the mercy of the court because you're an orphan, and therefore know no better.

The committee rightly called garbage on the argument, as the Big 12-2 should call garbage on Bowlsby's tenure.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
being that both schools are located about 100 miles apart in Texas, not very likely they would of met in B12CG if they had divisions. Of course they could petition for the 2 best conference teams to play in CG
Yeah, but I meant "IF" they had met in a CG it would have made a difference.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Stewart Mandel made a good point recently. I don't think the Big 12 should overreact to this one season. Had Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon or FSU had lost a Big 12 team would have made it in. This just happened to be a year where the top teams managed not to lose during Championship week.

Ultimately, I think they will move to a championship game, but to do so as a reaction to what happened in one season is silly.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The Big 12 should rethink a lot of things.
No wonder the B12 fell apart. What fool would put Oklahoma and Texas in one division Nebraska and Missouri in the other? Talk about alignment for disaster! Texas and Oklahoma won 11 of the 15 CG. When it is automatic that one side always wins it is not going to be a happy marriage. We are seeing that in the SEC now, but it was not set up that way.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Stewart Mandel made a good point recently. I don't think the Big 12 should overreact to this one season. Had Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon or FSU had lost a Big 12 team would have made it in. This just happened to be a year where the top teams managed not to lose during Championship week.

Ultimately, I think they will move to a championship game, but to do so as a reaction to what happened in one season is silly.
Well, if the B12 wants to depend the other conferences LOSING in their CG then it makes good sense. I think I would rather control my own destiny than hope someone loses they can "back in."

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Well, if the B12 wants to depend the other conferences LOSING in their CG then it makes good sense. I think I would rather control my own destiny than hope someone loses they can "back in."
A championship game doesn't guarantee the Big 12 gets a representative. Even with a championship game win, the selection committee controls their destiny.

As long as there are 4 spots and 5 conferences (+ ND), then every conference is going to be depending on other conferences losing games.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
A championship game doesn't guarantee the Big 12 gets a representative. Even with a championship game win, the selection committee controls their destiny.

As long as there are 4 spots and 5 conferences (+ ND), then every conference is going to be depending on other conferences losing games.
It appeared to me that Ohio State winning 59-0 put them in ahead of Baylor and TCU, even though both Baylor and TCU did not lose.

I suppose we can spin this a lot of ways since we are not dealing in absolutes. Time will tell, I guess. One thing that hurt Baylor and TCU was that they are NOT Texas and Oklahoma. A one loss Texas or Oklahoma may have made it in without a CG because of their tradition and name recognition.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
It appeared to me that Ohio State winning 59-0 put them in ahead of Baylor and TCU, even though both Baylor and TCU did not lose.

I suppose we can spin this a lot of ways since we are not dealing in absolutes. Time will tell, I guess. One thing that hurt Baylor and TCU was that they are NOT Texas and Oklahoma. A one loss Texas or Oklahoma may have made it in without a CG because of their tradition and name recognition.
True. Texas or Oklahoma may have gotten the benefit of the doubt.

I think both TCU and Baylor were hurt by Oklahoma losing and dropping out of the top 25. That left OSU with 3 top 25 wins and TCU and Baylor with 2. Couple that with an already abysmal OOC schedule and they were doomed. If Baylor played a stronger OOC schedule and ended 12-1, they might have made it in.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If I were the commissioner of one of the other Power 5 conferences, I would demand that the Big 12 no longer be granted the extra bye week so they can play a game during championship weekend. It doubles up on the inequity. Not only do their teams have one less game than the other conferences' champions, but they get an extra week's rest along the way. Look at how Baylor used their bye weeks this year to see how it helped them - they played no more than 4 games in a row before getting a chance to rest and heal.

If they want to play a game that weekend, they should be forced to start their season a week later - no extra bye.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
They should probably ask Nebraska and Colorado to come back.
Maybe if Tejas does an about-face on its outlook of the Big12 but if not, it ain't happening. Nebraska likes its chances in the B1G. They're also well-respected there. Colorado really likes being in the Pac12 even though they are the conference whipping boy. The only teams I think that it might make sense for would be Colorado State and Houston. It would have to be teams who are small enough and who are willing to take the abuse for the payoff.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
One step at a time. The BigXII would first need to add 2 teams to the conference. A recent article here in The Oklahoman outlined 8-10 possible candidates ranging from BYU, UCF, South Florida (All are travel concerns) to Houston (Do they really need to penetrate the Houston market?). Honestly, none of them were a solid 'yes'. All of them would have simply brought further mediocrity to a conference already boiling over with it.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Maybe if Tejas does an about-face on its outlook of the Big12 but if not, it ain't happening. Nebraska likes its chances in the B1G. They're also well-respected there. Colorado really likes being in the Pac12 even though they are the conference whipping boy. The only teams I think that it might make sense for would be Colorado State and Houston. It would have to be teams who are small enough and who are willing to take the abuse for the payoff.
I agree, but would also add that Texas and Oklahoma should not be in the same division like before. I know the Big 12 right now is a joke, but historically TCU and Baylor are jokes and at some point in the not to distant future they will take their rightful places in the middle to bottom of the pack. I still believe we will see an expansion to 8 teams sooner rather than later.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.