The College HUNH QB and the NFL

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed
Mariota to the Eagles (with Chip Kelly) would prove once and for all if the system can work at the NFL level. I think that it can. Of course a HUNH QB will struggle running a pro style team. But the pro style QB might also struggle in the HUNH system.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Mariota to the Eagles (with Chip Kelly) would prove once and for all if the system can work at the NFL level. I think that it can. Of course a HUNH QB will struggle running a pro style team. But the pro style QB might also struggle in the HUNH system.
Idk. Like I said all the D linemen and lbs are just as quick as these high profile qbs in college. I remember when people said the wildcat was going to work in the pros, and it didn't. You have to remember in college you don't have teams stacked with 22 of the best individuals in the country, you have a mix. In the nfl all of the players were that select few that made it a profession because they are the best of the best.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
That is the thing though. No NFL team besides the Eagles run a TRUE HUNH offense and even then, Chip Kelly has had to tinker and modify his system for the NFL. Until NFL teams start running the true HUNH College system, I think these HUNH QB's will end up being just a footnote in the history of Football after a certain period has passed.

Look at past QB's who put up gaudy stats in College. Andre Ware and Kliff Kingsbury to name two. They didn't do anything in the NFL. Typically, QB's who put up gaudy stats in College do it in gimmick offensive systems and this sends red flags to NFL front offices.

I can almost guarantee you that there are several front offices right now that have reservations regarding Mariota. Don't be shocked if Winston gets drafted before Mariota too because its becoming a common theme where people are saying that he'll be more "NFL Ready" than Mariota will be right out of the gate.

I heard one analyst compare Mariota to Kaepernick without the arm strength.......

Besides all of that, Mariota wont be drafted by the Eagles. The Eagles pick will be in the mid 20s somewhere in round 1. I keep seeing the Buccaneers drafting Mariota in mock drafts.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I work for a Milwaukee based company and spend about 2 weeks a month there. That plus EL and Haha have turned me into a bit of a cheesehead. I would love to see Blake get a shot up here.
Thing is, to further sidetrack this thread which was pretty much run its HUNH course, NFL rosters are somewhat skimpy personnel-wise at 53, plus 9 on the practice squad. Apropos Green Bay, when the Packers took Randall Cobb a few years ago out of UK in the second round, they knew they were getting a three-for-one draft choice: slot receiver, wildcat runner (if only lining up there) and emergency QB (which he played at Kentucky). Blake Sims could be the same value for the Packers, for any NFL team, actually - but Green Bay needs a new backup QB who knows the West Coast/quasi-HUNH system. And a QB who can get on the field in other situations (TT - as in triple threat) would really play to Blake's wheelhouse.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
the problem with HUNH in the NFL is that you have DLs that are just as fast as people like Marriota. Just ask Johnny Football. I told everyone that Johnny couldnt dance around like he did in college, but I got laughed at when I said it.
Oh come on. Most people knew Manziel wouldn't be able to run around like he did in college. That wasn't some unique opinion.

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Is it just me, or can we stop referring to the HUNH as an offense? It is clearly not an offense.... now the read-option is an offense as is the spread (passing / run & shoot or option style), as is a pro-style scheme an offense..... but the HUNH is not an offense. It is simply a gimmick to quick-snap the defense before they are set or have made their play call. Any offensive scheme can utilize a HUNH & run their offense.....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oh come on. Most people knew Manziel wouldn't be able to run around like he did in college. That wasn't some unique opinion.
I know I said it also. You can't expect an OL to hold a block on a LB forever, and, as JM discovered, there are LBs as fast as, if not faster, than he is. Now, when he does that little field reversal which used to get him away from the pursuit, he finds himself running for his life from a LB hoping to dismember him... :)

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I have a feeling he'll be wearing a uniform of a different organization than the NFL before long. :wink:
Reminds me od an old 'Johnny Cash' song, "I got stripes, stripes around my shoulders. I got chains, chains around my feet". I'm wishing only the best for Shameis and I'm sure he will get all that's coming to him at the next level, a higher level than the NFL. Hopefully most won't associate him with being from Hueytown.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I know I said it also. You can't expect an OL to hold a block on a LB forever, and, as JM discovered, there are LBs as fast as, if not faster, than he is. Now, when he does that little field reversal which used to get him away from the pursuit, he finds himself running for his life from a LB hoping to dismember him... :)
Yeah it's amazing how much faster LB's and safety's close in on him.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I think MM would have the best chance of a successful NFL career if the Eagles picked him.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Mariota to the Eagles (with Chip Kelly) would prove once and for all if the system can work at the NFL level. I think that it can.
The problem for the HUNH in the NFL is that the NFL officials maintain control of the game. This takes away the HUNH's biggest advantage - confused and out of position officials.

For some reason, college officials feel that it is more important to spot the ball for the next play than getting into position to make proper calls.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
it's not just that though. the biggest question will be this, is an NFL owner willing to invest big bucks into a QB that will be a part of the running game every play?
not sure how much RG3 gets paid but the return on investment doesn't seem to be paying off. that is why fans of the Redskins are as unhappy as they are right now. salary cap and all that money tied up in a player that may only play 6 games a year because he is injured.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
it's not just that though. the biggest question will be this, is an NFL owner willing to invest big bucks into a QB that will be a part of the running game every play?
not sure how much RG3 gets paid but the return on investment doesn't seem to be paying off. that is why fans of the Redskins are as unhappy as they are right now. salary cap and all that money tied up in a player that may only play 6 games a year because he is injured.
RG3 isn't missing games because he's injured. He's missing games because he can't read defenses, takes the wrong number of steps in a called dropback, can't read defenses, and hasn't done what Jay Gruden asks.

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Why would a pro-style QB struggle utilizing a quick-snap philosophy? Certainly any team could utilize a quick-snap to catch the defense and officials out of position, and still run a pro-style offense, right? I'm really not sure how much quick-snapping or not quick-snapping has to do with a QBs "skill set".

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
The Seattle Seahawks have been running the zone read with Russell Wilson with a lot of success recently. That shows me that the spread option can work in the NFL.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
RG3 isn't missing games because he's injured. He's missing games because Colt wasn't hurt.
FIFY!

Colt is hurt, again, so he gets to show us what he can and can not do. The "can not" side grows every time he gets banged up. If outrunning the D is your claim to fame, you better be 100% and stay that way. That has not been his luck.

Maybe we should start a "If RGIII had not got hurt" chant. Art Briles would probably approve.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.