Poll: The Future of Alabama Basketball

The Future of Alabama Basketball:

• Regardless of making post season play, coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, no coaching change.

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, coaching change.

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • Alabama makes the NCAA, no coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama goes beyond first Round of NCAA, no coaching change

Votes: 22 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
To bad they can't or won't play some games down South Alabama way. If it were a couple hours I would go all the time. Easier with football not as many games and each game is like an event. When we go to football games we always get a hotel for one and sometimes two nights. Someone should charter a bus for round trip for basketball games to T-town and back for basketball game days. If I could ride and sleep on the way back I would be there cheering the Tide on.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
you think this team isn't better than last years?
I wouldn't bet on this year's team beating last year's.

We aren't competing for anything. This is like watching a Mike Shula coached team with bad fundamentals and lack of execution. For heavens sake we can't even in bound the ball half the time. The team is back to holding the ball outside the 3 point line and going back and forth till the shot clock is low. We aren't good at passing and another year with no I mean no post play. And we are back to the normal with bad free throws. No I don't think Grant can improve a team through the year or make good in game coaching decisions. I think he can be a defensive coach not a head.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
To me, this team is far better than the last three teams. There's way more chemistry and shooting ability.
Remember too, this team is still learning to play together to a great degree.
I can't predict the season once conference play begins, but if Taylor keeps developing, Hale remains somewhat consistent, and Kessens improves, this team has the guards and the capability to win a bunch of basketball games.
If that happens, maybe people will stop calling for a change.
I feel strongly about this--Whether it's at Bama or some other major school, Anthony Grant will be a head coach next year. I just hope it's at Bama.

10Bama54

1st Team
Sep 16, 2006
It seems that we have a lot more quality depth as well. I am concerned about the drop-off in made free-throws. What would cause that? If we had hit our free-throws in the Wichita State game, we would have won it as well.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
That is how teams like UCLA do it now. They get the top recruits much like Kentucky who never stay for their Junior Senior year. They lost 3 underclassmen to the NBA in the last draft. It's the new landscape of basketball. It was obvious to me that the commentators were hoping UCLA would pull out a victory. They kept making excuses for them. When Duke or Kentucky play poorly does anyone make excuses for them although they play with an similar situation in terms of youth. Furthermore UCLA has 5 freshmen on there roster Alabama has 4. UCLA has 4 sophomores on their roster Alabama has 4. UCLA has 3 Juniors on their roster. Alabama has 2. UCLA has one Senior on their roster. Alabama has 3. The announcers were giving a lot of spin last night and reason for UCLA. If you don't know basketball and just listened to what they were saying you would think we have a roster full of seniors and they have a ton of freshmen. Only two of our Seniors play the third was just put on scholarship last year for good academics (in my opinion).
This is not how Wichita St, Butler, VCU, Ohio State, Florida, Rutgers, etc do it. They hire good coaches and sign talented players, who stay at least 3 years.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
same with Michigan State. i could go on and name more. coaching is a big deal in college athletics. you do not have to have the very best players.
A head coach with a "name" will get the recruits. Not necessarily a good coach. Look at what happened with UK when they lost their players. Most coaches know the same X's and O's in basketball, it's getting a "name" coach that will draw the recruits. Look at the barn, just because the "used car salesman" shows up doesn't mean they win games his first year. He will get the recruits if he stays because of his name.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Looks like we are still talking about the "future after the TAMU game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Someone asked in the TAMU thread when the last time Bama won 3 SEC road games was. In 2011, Alabama won at MSU, Auburn, Tennessee, and LSU. In 2012, Alabama won at Georgia, Auburn, and Arkansas. In 2013, Alabama won at MSU, Vanderbilt, and Georgia.

It can be done.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
Someone asked in the TAMU thread when the last time Bama won 3 SEC road games was. In 2011, Alabama won at MSU, Auburn, Tennessee, and LSU. In 2012, Alabama won at Georgia, Auburn, and Arkansas. In 2013, Alabama won at MSU, Vanderbilt, and Georgia.

It can be done.
I didn't say it couldn't be done - it's just not likely.

In 2011, we did beat three SEC teams, but not the ones you mentioned. We beat Arky, Ga and Auburn. We lost at LSU, 67-58 and played TN at home that year. Our SEC road record was 3-5.

In 2012, we again won three road conference games - MSU, Vandy and Georgia. Road record 3-6. That 2012 road game at AU was won of the most ugly losses we've ever had, losing to a horrific AU team 49-37.

In 2013, our SEC road record was 0-9.

Past three seasons, that's a 6-20 road record. I guess the winless SEC gauntlet last year clouded my mind a bit. My point is winning on the road in the SEC isn't our strongpoint. Some on here are almost expecting us to win at Tennessee and at South Carolina in back-to-back games. Hopefully the team will prove me wrong, but I don't think that's likely.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

In 2011, we did beat three SEC teams, but not the ones you mentioned. We beat Arky, Ga and Auburn. We lost at LSU, 67-58 and played TN at home that year. Our SEC road record was 3-5.

In 2012, we again won three road conference games - MSU, Vandy and Georgia. Road record 3-6. That 2012 road game at AU was won of the most ugly losses we've ever had, losing to a horrific AU team 49-37.

Past three seasons, that's a 6-20 road record. I guess the winless SEC gauntlet last year clouded my mind a bit. My point is winning on the road in the SEC isn't our strongpoint. Some on here are almost expecting us to win at Tennessee and at South Carolina in back-to-back games. Hopefully the team will prove me wrong, but I don't think that's likely.
I used the year of the spring, so when I say 2013, I'm referring to the 2012-2013 season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

How's that working out so far?

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
How's that working out so far?
You do know the win at UT snapped a 2-year drought in the SEC on the road, right? It's one victory and I'm proud as heck of the team for their play. I hope they can keep it up and I sure won't be rooting for them to lose. However, we must keep things in perspective. It's not like we just beat the 95-96 Chicago Bulls.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
You do know the win at UT snapped a 2-year drought in the SEC on the road, right? It's one victory and I'm proud as heck of the team for their play. I hope they can keep it up and I sure won't be rooting for them to lose. However, we must keep things in perspective. It's not like we just beat the 95-96 Chicago Bulls.
I'll check back after few games

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.