Poll: The Future of Alabama Basketball

The Future of Alabama Basketball:

• Regardless of making post season play, coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, no coaching change.

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, coaching change.

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • Alabama makes the NCAA, no coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama goes beyond first Round of NCAA, no coaching change

Votes: 22 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
You do know the win at UT snapped a 2-year drought in the SEC on the road, right? It's one victory and I'm proud as heck of the team for their play. I hope they can keep it up and I sure won't be rooting for them to lose. However, we must keep things in perspective. It's not like we just beat the 95-96 Chicago Bulls.
I'm proud also and I think anybody can look at this team and see we are a better team than we have been in the past few years. Obviously we did not beat the Bulls but UT has beat K State and a ranked Butler this year so they are not chopped liver either. I think this team will make the tourney and win a game or 2 at least. IF not for a total colapse in the last 5 minutes in the Wichita St game we should be 13-2.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
I'm proud also and I think anybody can look at this team and see we are a better team than we have been in the past few years. Obviously we did not beat the Bulls but UT has beat K State and a ranked Butler this year so they are not chopped liver either. I think this team will make the tourney and win a game or 2 at least. IF not for a total colapse in the last 5 minutes in the Wichita St game we should be 13-2.
I agree completely.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Anyone know much about USC? I've looked at their schedule. They seem to have beaten some good teams and lost to some bad teams but I'm going by names and not necessarily rankings.

Looking at their roster, they have very balanced scoring and appear to be guard oriented but have decent production from a couple of big guys. My guess is that Bama matches up with them pretty evenly, maybe a little better on average, but USC will have the home court.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Our Players are playing better on the road lately. The win on the road against UT really helped their confidence.. and i think it'll carry into their game next against SC. We beat them, and the NCAA world will take notice of us and say " HEy, they're making noise." I think Bama will crack top 25 this week.. if not this week maybe next week.

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
Our Players are playing better on the road lately. The win on the road against UT really helped their confidence.. and i think it'll carry into their game next against SC. We beat them, and the NCAA world will take notice of us and say " HEy, they're making noise." I think Bama will crack top 25 this week.. if not this week maybe next week.
I think the Wichita state game helped their confidence in knowing they can play good on the road in a tough environment

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I don't like his bracketology at all. Some of the teams has real bad losses.... I understand he is projecting as how it looks as right of now, but that's some questionable seedings/ teams... It's only Jan... but LSU though?
Jerry Palm has Alabama in his "First Four Out" category in his latest bracketology. Link

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I just realized something.... I was looking up the 2013-2014 team... I think I see the pattern here.

Looking at the stats from the previous season, I noticed that when Alabama men basketball team won games, It was usually Key, Releford or Randloph early in the season, then as the season went along, It was Releford that's leading the team for the most part. Cooper finally started leading the team in Rebounds in second half of the team. Looking at the depth and I'm thinking our players were inconsistent on the field. We've screwed up on defense when we shouldn't be. Our offense wasn't clicking because Look at the starting lineup : Taylor at C, Cooper at PF, Randolph SF, SG for Obasohan and PG Releford... with bench of Nick Jacob, Shannon hale, Dakota Slaughter, Algie Key and Carl ENstrom... Seems like Releford took control of the offense, and sometime he took the game away from the players. I'm not knocking on Releford at all, but I often wondered whether he held on the ball little too much or was shooting when he could've trusted his teammates little more by getting them involved. Sometime the guys looked lot of sync at times, and get caught off guard by decisions made on the floor... Say what you want about Grant, but this not really about him at this point, but rather the roster and the players we had.

After the season, we lost Algie Key, Carl Enstrom, Trevor Releford/Julian Goode/Nick Jacob/Isiah Wilson... Nick Jacob transferred to Georgia Tech and Carl ENgstrom left to play oversea.... ( I think Key, Engstrom and Jacob was encouraged to transfer/leave)

We added Justin Coleman, Riley Norris, Devin Mitchell, Ricky Tarrant, Micheal Kessens and Jeff Garrett. (Jeff Garrett and John Gibson are redshirted)

Suddenly, We're playing better on the floor, Playing better defense. We're seeing Tarrant, Cooper, Kessen, Randolph, kessen leading the team in scoring. On Rebounds everyone is chipping in. I noticed guys are communicating on the floor... Look at fantastic passes we've seen from Tarrant to Randolph several times this season. IF we can tighten up the defense, I really think we could be stingy team that can generate points off turnovers... we're already doing that, but we missed lot of opportunities here and there...

Looking at last year schedule, We lost to Duke by 10 points, Lost in overtime against Drexel, Lost by 1 point against South Florida, Lost by 5 points against Wichita State, Lost by 3 points against Xavier, Lost by six points against Florida and we played close game against Kentucky. Losing those games messed us up mentality, but It also showed that we can compete with those guys, and we weren't very good at closing out the games.. and it almost showed this season. Blowing a lead against Iowa, and losing a game against Wichita. I truly believe that Wichita game really woke the team up, They are playing better on both side of the ball, even limiting Tenn without a shot for 14 minutes. Attendance Crowd are continuing to improve with each wins. This team could be something special this year, we just have to continue to believe in them. I definitely expect Hale to be back on the floor soon... when he realizes He has to be consistent with his defense and knowing when to pick his spot to shoot the ball. Justin Coleman is learning and he has showed flashes at times... But is very inconsistent shooter, especially from the three's. He's rushing his shots and needs to learn to settle down and shoot. Taylor needs to be little more aggressive but at same time learn to not challenge every single shot and pick up fouls... We need to get Kessen and Cooper involved more... By getting them involved, we will see Tarrant, Norris and Randolph getting more looks. I honestly think we need to feature Norris and Tarrant as deadly 3 point shooter... and Randolph too, and see our big guys get some looks. Guys, I think we can surprise lot of teams this year... Seems like teams like SC, Kentucky, Arkansas and Auburn aren't taking us too seriously.. Win those games... whew! I really think the issue was with our depth bench last year and we addressed this and it has paid out well. We also got new players coming in next year, and man, we should be good again.

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
Yup I saw. Just win this week and we're in top 25.
Won't go that far but we'll definitely get a lot more votes.....now, beat Kentucky and we're definitely in top 25....I think we can upset Kentucky....we just need to play a strong zone defense (they're pretty susceptible to zone)....it will take a ton of effort on our guys part but it's possible.....we all remember when Alabama took down Kentucky in Coleman a few years ago...anything is possible

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Plus it was close game last year.... I'm not scared of big bad wolf.... Kentucky is playing like they're expected to win, not play hard.
Won't go that far but we'll definitely get a lot more votes.....now, beat Kentucky and we're definitely in top 25....I think we can upset Kentucky....we just need to play a strong zone defense (they're pretty susceptible to zone)....it will take a ton of effort on our guys part but it's possible.....we all remember when Alabama took down Kentucky in Coleman a few years ago...anything is possible

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
Plus it was close game last year.... I'm not scared of big bad wolf.... Kentucky is playing like they're expected to win, not play hard.
Exactly and Coleman will be packed for that game since it's sold out already....lets just hope the guys don't get too excited and overlook South Carolina

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I seriously doubt it... They're fighting every game... they know they can't overlook any game.. every game is playoff atmostphere for them... Grant won't let them overlook the team.
Exactly and Coleman will be packed for that game since it's sold out already....lets just hope the guys don't get too excited and overlook South Carolina

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I really think a "change" is no longer a matter of "if", but "when". I think there will be a couple of jobs will open this year and Coach Grant will bolt for other pastures. Right now I think FSU is going to open and Hamilton will be dropped.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I really think a "change" is no longer a matter of "if", but "when". I think there will be a couple of jobs will open this year and Coach Grant will bolt for other pastures. Right now I think FSU is going to open and Hamilton will be dropped.
You may be right, but who do you think would hire Grant after his disastrous tenure at Bama? I just don't see him being a hot commodity..

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Coaching is tricky. Coaches may fit better in some places rather than where they are currently. There is nothing that says he would not be successful at a mid- major or at another major school. Same goes for whomever his replacement would be at Bama.

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
Who would you want to be our next coach if grant does indeed leave? I've head a lot of good things about louisiana tech's head coach Michael white.....he used to be an ole miss assistant so recruiting here shouldn't be a problem and from what I hear he's one of if not the top coaches on the rise.......Or the head coach at Dayton, Archie miller....he's done a great job there

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.