Poll: The Future of Alabama Basketball

The Future of Alabama Basketball:

• Regardless of making post season play, coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, no coaching change.

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Alabama makes the NIT, coaching change.

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • Alabama makes the NCAA, no coaching change.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • Alabama goes beyond first Round of NCAA, no coaching change

Votes: 22 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If we make a change I hope we go HUNH on offense...yeah I mean that! Tired of milk the clock and throw up a desperate shot!

Would like to see a offense that is fun to watch!

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
So Bama cannot get a good coach?
When I ask "realistically " I'm asking because there are those who feel that Izzo is a viable candidate, not that Bama can't get a "Good Coach". Most basketball coaches beyond the JR High level know all the same "X's and O's"', and strategies . They go to Nike Camps, NABC conventions, etc.... The difference comes down to game philosophy, teaching and of course recruiting. What "draw" does Bama have to get a "Rock Star" coach? I don't know, that is why I ask!

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Alabama basketball will almost always be a "stepping stone" basketball program. If we got a good coach who had a lot of success here he would probably be heavily courted to coach elsewhere..
Maybe our low expectations as a basketball program is having a Pygmalion effect on our players.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Maybe our low expectations as a basketball program is having a Pygmalion effect on our players.
Those aren't my expectations but that is just the reality of our program. Doesn't mean we can't have good players and teams. I agree with you that I think it would be very hard to land a rock star Izzo type coach. I want Grant gone but not really sure who we could get to replace him. Almost anyone should be able to have as much or more success though..

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Unless we get someone dedicated to the university , knows the terrain for recruiting, and can make the university and facilities attractive to recruits we will be in no better position. Can't think of anyone since Coach Sanderson . I can only guess a mid-major coach from the region.

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Who would you want to be our next coach if grant does indeed leave? I've head a lot of good things about louisiana tech's head coach Michael white.....he used to be an ole miss assistant so recruiting here shouldn't be a problem and from what I hear he's one of if not the top coaches on the rise.......Or the head coach at Dayton, Archie miller....he's done a great job there
White would be an interesting choice.... Played at Ole Miss and coached at Ole Miss so he knows the SEC. Also coached at Jax St and was recruiting coordinator so, should have good relationships with HS coaches in the southeast. Would Battle and BOT be willing to either renovate/rebuild Coleman or, build a new arena to attract a bigger name coach???

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
White would be an interesting choice.... Played at Ole Miss and coached at Ole Miss so he knows the SEC. Also coached at Jax St and was recruiting coordinator so, should have good relationships with HS coaches in the southeast. Would Battle and BOT be willing to either renovate/rebuild Coleman or, build a new arena to attract a bigger name coach???
Coleman was renovated less than 6 years ago. It doesn't need to be renovated again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I really think a "change" is no longer a matter of "if", but "when". I think there will be a couple of jobs will open this year and Coach Grant will bolt for other pastures. Right now I think FSU is going to open and Hamilton will be dropped.
What changed for you, LD?

bamaman65

All-SEC
Feb 27, 2006
North Alabama
Unless we get someone dedicated to the university , knows the terrain for recruiting, and can make the university and facilities attractive to recruits we will be in no better position. Can't think of anyone since Coach Sanderson . I can only guess a mid-major coach from the region.
I think Acuff from UAH would be a good choice.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I really think a "change" is no longer a matter of "if", but "when". I think there will be a couple of jobs will open this year and Coach Grant will bolt for other pastures.
Finally "pushed my fingers upcourt" and voted for change of coaches. The tipping point wasn't Kentucky's obliterating 'Bama, but the Grant MO at work during the game. You want to say something pithy and to the point, like, The players ain't got no quit in 'em, but they ain't got no coaching in 'em, either." That's the tipping point for me - his teams simply do not progress, particularly on offense, during the season.

And if Grant "bolts" for another job, he ought to be riding a thunderbolt from Bill Battle that sends him elsewhere - like to another job for any D1 school that would take him, especially after such a show of his coaching prowess for six years on the 'Bama sideline.

Used to say the only halftime adjustment Gottfraud ever made was parting his hair - with Grant, he adjusts his starched collar to give his Adam's apple breathing room for the inevitable fold at the end.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Who is going to hire Grant as a head coach? He has been given a long time at Bama with not much success. I can't see anybody being excited about hiring him. Unless Bama somehow makes the NCAA tourney which is highly unlikely. If I had to guess, he makes the NIT, and comes back next year to Bama.

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
I've moved on from the UK game and will wait to see how our next game is played. How the players and coach react in the next one is exactly what I'm watching for before I start joining any new coach talks. Right now, I know I'm pretty much alone, but Im still with Grant! This lil Cecil Hurt tweet gives a lil hope!

@CecilHurt

The latest @jppalmCBS bracket projection has Alabama in the NCAA Tournament field. Last team in, but in.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Coleman was renovated less than 6 years ago. It doesn't need to be renovated again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If we want to be a consistent top 20 program like Florida and Kentucky we need top notch facilities. I know we renovated recently but, when I was last there 2 summers ago, IMO our coaches offices, player lounge/practice area was lacking other programs.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
If we want to be a consistent top 20 program like Florida and Kentucky we need top notch facilities. I know we renovated recently but, when I was last there 2 summers ago, IMO our coaches offices, player lounge/practice area was lacking other programs.
I have no idea about the offices/lounge/practice area but Coleman is what it is and probably won't be touched for another 10-15 years. Any coach will have to accept it as it is which is still a fairly good arena. A coach that uses Coleman as a reason to not consider the job at UA is not a coach that I would want to hire anyway because a good coach that puts a quality product on the floor WILL put butts in the seats at Coleman. But if the things you mentioned are not up to par then shame on our AD because those things are relatively drops in the bucket to keep up to par with other schools. I would be embarrassed and ashamed if that is the case.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I posted on a thread before the season that I was in a "wait-and-see" mode about this team and Grant. We all knew the talent was upgraded from last year but unsure if the coaching would be improved. I'm still in that same mode. There have been some improvements but there have also been some "same-o, same-o" things that we have seen for the past 5+ years. We aren't out of it yet and if we get on a hot streak then this team finish high in the SEC and get an invite to the big dance. I'm not holding my breath but it could happen. If that doesn't happen and we do make a change at the end of the season AND our AD is willing to make a commitment to the basketball program there is NO reason why we should not be able to hire a quality coach.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think I am fairly reasonable in my expectations of Bama basketball. I know we are not a "destination job." I also know that we are a middle of the pack basketball school.

But am I the only one who expects this program could be so much more??? We won't ever be KY in the SEC in basketball just like they won't every be Bama in football. But I know that we can be so much more competitive in the SEC and NCAA.

I know we aren't a "sleeping giant" but I'm pretty sure we are "a slumbering 6'9" power forward."

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
The school spent over $ 2 million on a top notch practice facility around 2 years ago. The basketball team also uses the same training/weight room/player lounges as the football team- and we all know those are top notch. The quality or size of Grant's office is not a factor here either. Coaching and player development are the biggest issues with the program. Grant's refusal to play in the sess pool of the AAU is also a factor with the overall talent.
I have no idea about the offices/lounge/practice area but Coleman is what it is and probably won't be touched for another 10-15 years. Any coach will have to accept it as it is which is still a fairly good arena. A coach that uses Coleman as a reason to not consider the job at UA is not a coach that I would want to hire anyway because a good coach that puts a quality product on the floor WILL put butts in the seats at Coleman. But if the things you mentioned are not up to par then shame on our AD because those things are relatively drops in the bucket to keep up to par with other schools. I would be embarrassed and ashamed if that is the case.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.